Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Start of February

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got out of a chat room with ctp.... reasoning is too much confusion to change the warnings at this point.... everyone knows it's going to be nasty with the current headlines.

Yea it's probably complicated enough dealing with the thermal profiles in the region and hammering down where the worst ice is gonna fall and etc. Learned from my dad that coming over Brush Mountain into Bellwood (mountain to Altoona's east) it was 28 up top and 32 down here in the valley.. which is what I have on the basic thermometer here at home. Does lend support to the 925 subzero layer remaining anchored in place as per the NAM at least locally.

The NAM initialized around -2 here and about -4 or so at UNV with the 0 line coming down near or just west of JST. While the 850 0 line remains near the NY border, the +2 line buckles south to near the MD border at hour 12, leaving 0-2ºC 850 temps in the Altoona-State College corridor with 925s at -4 at both cities. Hour 15 modifies at 850 a couple degrees but 925 still about the same. The 925 level never really even sniffs 0 for pretty much all of the precip event. So with a marginal cold layer from at least 925 to the ground it probably allows some sleet to mix in occasionally from say route 22 or so north. Any little bit of sleet taking up QPF would help, cuz that central area between AOO and UNV looks to be ground zero for the ice accretion in the local area.

Yea it's probably complicated enough dealing with the thermal profiles in the region and hammering down where the worst ice is gonna fall and etc. Learned from my dad that coming over Brush Mountain into Bellwood (mountain to Altoona's east) it was 28 up top and 32 down here in the valley.. which is what I have on the basic thermometer here at home. Does lend support to the 925 subzero layer remaining anchored in place as per the NAM at least locally.

The NAM initialized around -2 here and about -4 or so at UNV with the 0 line coming down near or just west of JST. While the 850 0 line remains near the NY border, the +2 line buckles south to near the MD border at hour 12, leaving 0-2ºC 850 temps in the Altoona-State College corridor with 925s at -4 at both cities. Hour 15 modifies at 850 a couple degrees but 925 still about the same. The 925 level never really even sniffs 0 for pretty much all of the precip event. So with a marginal cold layer from at least 925 to the ground it probably allows some sleet to mix in occasionally from say route 22 or so north. Any little bit of sleet taking up QPF would help, cuz that central area between AOO and UNV looks to be ground zero for the ice accretion in the local area.

I have a feeling the nam is going to be a little too warm around here.... Im still in the mid 30s, with a dp in the mid 30s.

I have a feeling the nam is going to be a little too warm around here.... Im still in the mid 30s, with a dp in the mid 30s.

Although.... the 18z run looks good with current temps, and 925's cool down later this evening.... we shall see!

been watching the chicago cam (wrigley field)

i keep seeing something falling from the stadium but dont know what it is.

some one walking by stopped and pick some of it up and kept it...whatever it was.

anyone else see that?

http://www.cubworld....a_cubworld_cam/

I saw, almost looks like shingles? Is it that bad there? Doesn't look like it

NVM, that wind is whipping around.

has you're dp been falling...i've held steady at 30 but my DP is all the down at 22 so when the precip arrives i'll be knocked down a few degrees.

DP is steady at 28.

I just went for a little walk. Funny thing is even though it's 32 and it was daylight none of the ice on the trees melted and it's still hard as a brick.

I feel bad for St. Louis they got totally screwed. They saw a little sleet then got the dry slot from hell, they aren't even going to be close to their 8-12" predicted!

Temperatures are dropping like a rock here, I'm down to 21.8°F with the Dew Point steady now at 19°F, so my temperatures might settle down and hold steady soon.

Archived