• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 26-27 Storm Disco/Obs III

Baroclinic Zone

Looks like BOS records 9.9....through 7AM which should be the final. 60.3 for the season to date officially at KBOS.

My first thought yesterday morning was 9.8 for BOS, then I got all rope-and-chair and thought we'd come in around 5".

On the walk to work today, felt like a solid 12".

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just saw the pns for box...spfd came in with six inches..i bet its on the western or northern side of town... and saw four to five inches generally up the valley a bit so i got lucky for this area. Holy cow at the same zones hammered just like with the storm two weeks ago...that manchester to tolland back over to new britian andd bristol with all foot plus and just nw of there a fair shake less.

in undisturbed areas I have 23 to 26 inches depth which is about the most I have seen...tied with the depth after the feb 01 event when I lived in Bristol CT.

amazing though even here in spfd area amounts range from six inches to a foot out towards hampden...and I am in the middle with ten in east forest park and that ten may be a tad conservitive. surprised how wet this snow was too.

So did anyone get any good mesobands last night? :arrowhead:

She was a pugnacious brute from the get-go. The TORs in FL were a sign of good things to come.

5" in Noho and the anarchy on the roads continues

I was just on the fringe of the band but had solid two to almost three inch hr rates for awhile. what is your depth and total for the season up there?

Looks like New Foundland

It looks awesome. Around here, people don't have much of a front yard to begin with, but now it consists of an 8' pile of snow. I just noticed my neighbors trash barrel buried to about the final 3"..lol. That's about 40" or so. Granted some of it is drifting, but impressive to see a snowpack light that.

Looks like about a foot here in West Hartford total. A bit lower than surrounding towns but I'll take it!

i've asked for some snow reports on facebook through my status update.. and pretty uniform snowfall in eastern fairfield/ and new haven county, stratford, bpt, west haven, shelton, seymour everyone was between 14.5 and 16.5"

They boxing day storm I think the really had about 9" so that one is 4.9" too high

The first Norlun on the 7th? they reported 3.8" with maybe some table scraps left but then inexplicably came in later with 6.6". No idea there

Then the second norlun they came in with 3.3" when East Granby right next door had 0.5". they may have had 1" tops. Again no idea what went on there, it was windy though

So I personally would say BDL is over by about 5" in December and 5" in January.

Good post. This is exactly what I figured.

BDL has 56.9" for the month of January (officially). If you take away the 5" of bogus snow they still had 51.9" and beat the old record (45.3" from 1945) by a solid margin.

Congrats on an actual record!!!!

ended up with 3" on the nose. yay.

no complaints on the month of January though, we are just short of 40", and at almost 50" for the season. this would be lining up to be a historic winter had we got any kind of snow (aside from Boxing day) in December.

I had 11.3" and I'm pretty sure it was a foot, but the wind really fooks with the measurements. Best I could do.

Honestly - impact in terms of snow depth and snowbanks feels close to 12/26. Because it all came over night and wasn't cleared regularly by plows, the banks on the streets are bigger in the city.

sd1_today.jpg

Did Kev paint this? :lol:

Wow, this is incredible. I'm looking ahead on the Euro, seeing three more chances for at least a light snowfall, with below normal temps just locked in place.

This is absolutely amazing. I'm having something between a "good" to "great" winter here so far. You guys are having something just indescribable.

48" on the month.....only behind Jan 2005 (51.1") and Jan 1966 (50.5")

29" depth is my 3rd highest, behind only 30" in Feb 1978 and 40" in Feb 1969.

EPICEPICEPICEPIC

We're up to 50.5" for the month. Probably 25" of snow depth here.

I'm surprised you didn't have more depth in Jan 96. Many areas around here were in the low-mid 30s before the rains came.

Snow pack ranges from 2' in the most sun exposed area, to about 35"(!) on my back deck. Most areas, and the average, are right around 28". Best depth of my life. (I was 2 in '96, doesn't count). On the sides of the drivewas and walkway where it was just cleared theres easily 5'. I was standing next to it and I wasn't much taller.

ORH came in with 12.3", makes me confident in my 12.6" report in the PNS, matches up well with surrounding areas.

Im ready for some more. :scooter:

Nope. I haven't seen the official measurement, but just eyeballing it I'd say we ended up with just shy of 3". More than I expected yesterday afternoon, but less than I hoped for when I went to bed based on apparent radar trends. This one unfolded a lot like last year's near misses, in that the good stuff was deflected just as it tried to make inroads into ME. Congrats SNE, yet again.

2.4" here.

Saw a report of 6" in Kennebunk and 4" in Scarborough.

Ryan,

I got 14" new, which puts me at 62" for the season (exactly double my snow total for all of last season. BDL embellished by more than 5". They had 12" more than me going into last night.

Good post. This is exactly what I figured.

BDL has 56.9" for the month of January (officially). If you take away the 5" of bogus snow they still had 51.9" and beat the old record (45.3" from 1945) by a solid margin.

Congrats on an actual record!!!!

geeze...

000NWUS51 KBOX 271138LSRBOXPRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA638 AM EST THU JAN 27 2011..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON.....DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.... ..REMARKS..0558 AM HEAVY SNOW LYNN 42.47N 70.96W01/27/2011 U0.0 INCH ESSEX MA AMATEUR RADIO *** 18 INJ *** ROOF COLLAPSE OF THE GARELICK FARMS CREAMERY BUILDING AND ADJACENT SECOND FLOOR OFFICE. PEOPLE STILL TRAPPED INSIDE THE FACILITY.

Kulaginman needs to start posting....he joined our threads a while ago from my former stomping grounds in the lakes region of NY....but he can post now.

I know you are probably feeling the waters for SNE climo and meteorology, but you are still a very good met, so you should post your thoughts. :thumbsup:

i agree he is excellent.

he was a big loss in our thread.

Euro in the non-24h range....it barfed at the end, but it stuck to its guns for a huge CCB with over 0.75" in that CCB....it really caved in the final 2 runs, but it was good in the 36-96h range.

RUC in the under 18h range scored the big one...it was all over this.

its true....the euro was outstanding if it had just stuck to its guns, but it really crapped out the last 2 runs.....wierd!!!

I measured 47" in March 2001 on the level...but I know you probably only had 20" or so in that one. The gradient was sick.

Also in 2005 it was sick.

very impressive to be sure.

i was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time in 93.

one more BIG storm for you guys, and you may start getting in range to threaten some of our huge northeast alltime totals at varuious stations....including southern Canada.

Just woke up. Slept through a painful miss here in the Berkshires. Wound up with 2.5" inches. Tight gradient across the county was very tight with over 6 inches in the far south to a dusting in the far north. That inch per hour band between 7:30 and 8:30 last night didn't last as that dry air kept chipping away at it from the NW. Snowpack is probably about 25", most of it from the 1/12 storm. Win some, lose some. Congrats to those just to my S and E. :snowman:

Archived