• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA Late January Thread Part III

Rick G

This may be a dumb question, however...........i know we were to have rounds 1 and 2. We had the brief snow part with a little sleet, we now have FRZN. My question is, will the FRZN stop soon and then start back up later today, or will this FRZN stay contineous throught the day today into evening? I was expecting it to stop and restart/

Looking at the radar, much heavier stuff to our north (from HBG)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may be a dumb question, however...........i know we were to have rounds 1 and 2. We had the brief snow part with a little sleet, we now have FRZN. My question is, will the FRZN stop soon and then start back up later today, or will this FRZN stay contineous throught the day today into evening? I was expecting it to stop and restart/

Round 1 is pretty much over for the southern tier. Expect mainly freezing drizzle/mist for most of the day. Will probably put a nice little layer of ice on the car and any other untreated surface.

Round 2 later this evening still looks ugly. Depending on the source, looks like anywhere from 1/4" - 1/2" ice accretion in our neck of the woods. More sleet, then snow as one moves north toward NY.

Round 1 is pretty much over for the southern tier. Expect mainly freezing drizzle/mist for most of the day. Will probably put a nice little layer of ice on the car and any other untreated surface.

Round 2 later this evening still looks ugly. Depending on the source, looks like anywhere from 1/4" - 1/2" ice accretion in our neck of the woods. More sleet, then snow as one moves north toward NY.

yeah, i was just looking at another radar and saw round 2 working across.

yeah, i was just looking at another radar and saw round 2 working across.

That little trailing line SW of Pittsburg may be Round 1.5. We'll see if it holds together all the way across the state.

True Round 2 is currently pummeling the Plains.

That little trailing line SW of Pittsburg may be Round 1.5. We'll see if it holds together all the way across the state.

True Round 2 is currently pummeling the Plains.

yep, looks cranked up.

I'm not sure if its just me and my years in the FD, that keeps me on my toes and prepared or not, but by talking to many of my co-workers, they seem oblivious to the potential later. I am not saying its going to happen, but jeez, they should at least pay attention

Intense squall line forming extreme northeast Texas. Incredible convection on radar on the eastern half of the round 2 storm.

As for here, meh. Looks like 1/2" of snow at most with a super thin glaze of ice. Cars flying by looking out my kitchen window on I-81. Temp 26.2 degrees with nothing more than freezing drizzle at the moment.

Guess I'll make the 45-mile trek from Carlisle to York for work in a couple of hours.

My point forecast from NWS has raised the low temp for tonight's freezing rain storm from 27 degrees to 31 degrees. If that holds true then the severity of the ice accretion should be muted.

---Stephen

Everything seems to indicate things warmer than expected so far. I think the GFS has the right idea.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Seems the GFS is handling temperatures better than the NAM at this time. We are sitting around 26 in UNV, which is what the 6z GFS had us (NAM had us around 23).

Interestingly, the mesoscale models are doing a better job with the actual storm in the plains. It will be interesting to see which model performs best in this area.

Hi all,

I don't think we saw one single flake here in Maytown. Precip moved in last evening as sleet and stayed as a mix of sleet/freezing rain throughout the first event. Roads around my area were fine this morning, though there is a 9 car wreck on 283 east just a few miles from where I live. My driveway was horrid though, and being that's it on a hill, I could not stand on it without holding onto to something. I just slid right down the hill...

Everything seems to indicate things warmer than expected so far. I think the GFS has the right idea.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Seems the GFS is handling temperatures better than the NAM at this time. We are sitting around 26 in UNV, which is what the 6z GFS had us (NAM had us around 23).

Interestingly, the mesoscale models are doing a better job with the actual storm in the plains. It will be interesting to see which model performs best in this area.

Yeah, noticed that. The NAM hasn't budged, I see. Came in colder.

Archived