• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Late January Thread Part III

Rick G

Walking to campus, I felt some light rain with a few sleet pellets thrown in there. To me, that's a big signal for mainly ice here in central PA as opposed to sleet. Temperature here at Walker is 27.5 and very slowly creeping up. The only thing that could make us see mainly sleet is strong upward motion that would cool some of the upper level warmth, and evap cooling to an extent (though with the air already saturated this likely will not play a big role).

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walking to campus, I felt some light rain with a few sleet pellets thrown in there. To me, that's a big signal for mainly ice here in central PA as opposed to sleet. Temperature here at Walker is 27.5 and very slowly creeping up. The only thing that could make us see mainly sleet is strong upward motion that would cool some of the upper level warmth, and evap cooling to an extent (though with the air already saturated this likely will not play a big role).

State College and most of the I-80 corridor is probably going to be the battle zone, with freezing rain mixing/changing to sleet when the precip gets heavy. But I would agree, SC probably gets more freezing rain than sleet.

We likely will see some evap cooling when the precip starts falling again tonight since the air may try to dry out a bit with the lack of precip this afternoon/evening.

Archived