joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 26-27 storm obs/nowcasting/etc

Ian

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like based on the model the storm is expected to accelerate more when it hits the coast. The 6-12 hour frame is very light on precip. We should enjoy these rates over the next few hours, but looks like storm is over as far as heavy stuff by about 9 or 10:00. Enjoy it while we can everyone.

Looks a little warm for my blood. I guess one person's good run is another's not so good. Wet but warm.

My mom back in Dale City says the flakes are huge and it's coming down really hard. Wish I could be there to see it.

We have a deform band setting up shop overhead. Temp is 30 degrees, wet snow is becoming drier and fluffier and is piling up. Already 1.5 inches working on 2 inches - snow is finally beginning to cover some of the grass. You can add on an inch of wet slop snow we got between 220am and 345am this morning too.

Just started puking snow in Towson - with a flash of lightning throw in. We got 2-3" this a.m. and had very little period of rain/sleet this afternoon and are now raking in snow. Thinking we might be close to the jackpot here

Baltimoreguy ---- You ARE The Jackpot with this. Imagine you wagered 2500 dollars in blackjack then you get a blackjack - That's how much snow you're gonna get crushed by overnight.

You're gonna need a bigger shovel.

That is beautiful thanks Jason.

NP! Enjoy your storm!

Thanks for posting. That's an awesome image.

NP!

are those gravity waves i'm seeing in the northern neck?

The small scale waves are gravity waves. The larger "waves"/folds are transverse bands that are a typical feature in intense upper level cyclones with strong highly ageostrophic jet circulations. It looks very similar to the satellite representation of the Nor'easter that crippled SNE a couple weeks ago.

Archived