Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/25 NYC/PHL Light snow Obs

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drove from jamaica queens to roslyn area...was heavy snow, sticking to grand central/northern state parkways...roslyn road was totally snowcovered...as soon as i got south of jericho the snow lightened up and hadnt stuck to the roads....was still snowing in garden city but much lighter...very interesting how the north shore got slammed, and the south shore punked...

Drove from jamaica queens to roslyn area...was heavy snow, sticking to grand central/northern state parkways...roslyn road was totally snowcovered...as soon as i got south of jericho the snow lightened up and hadnt stuck to the roads....was still snowing in garden city but much lighter...very interesting how the north shore got slammed, and the south shore punked...

Yeah, we didnt get in on the snow until about 10:30 onwards, and with the heavier burst of snow the past hour or so, roads and driveways are now coated.

Also, temps have dropped below freezing, now down to 31.5 here.

We've got about an inch here, mostly on the old snow and sheltered pavement. But it has almost no water content, seriously, this stuff must be 40:1 or there abouts...you can melt it by staring at it...but it does look pretty. We had 12" on the ground this morning, upto 13 now with the top layer of barely there snow, but theres no wind and its all staying in the trees. Very pretty day here today.

We've been just out of the best echos all morning in very light stuff and we still got an inch so I wouldn't be surprised if someone farther west along the extreme north shore winds up with 3 or 4 inches, but they'd better measure fast before someone stares it down ;)

I thought we'd have a dusting as of last night, so this can go down as a nice little surprise.

We've got about an inch here, mostly on the old snow and sheltered pavement. But it has almost no water content, seriously, this stuff must be 40:1 or there abouts...you can melt it by staring at it...but it does look pretty. We had 12" on the ground this morning, upto 13 now with the top layer of barely there snow, but theres no wind and its all staying in the trees. Very pretty day here today.

We've been just out of the best echos all morning in very light stuff and we still got an inch so I wouldn't be surprised if someone farther west along the extreme north shore winds up with 3 or 4 inches, but they'd better measure fast before someone stares it down ;)

I thought we'd have a dusting as of last night, so this can go down as a nice little surprise.

I had 0.02"/0.5".

We've got about an inch here, on the old snow and sheltered pavement. But it has almost no water content, seriously, this stuff must be 40:1 or there abouts...you can melt it by staring at it...but it does look pretty. We had 12" on the ground this morning, upto 13 now with the top layer of barely there snow, but theres no wind and its all staying in the trees. Very pretty day here today.

You could also melt it by shining a flashlight on it ;) And get a water equivalent measurement too (what little there was lol.) You could probably melt a foot of this stuff with a magnifying glass :)

You could also melt it by shining a flashlight on it ;) And get a water equivalent measurement too (what little there was lol.) You could probably melt a foot of this stuff with a magnifying glass :)

Seriously, if I get 2" of this on the board, I'm going to feel guilty recording that much. This is fake snow. But I'll take it!

Interesting how large the differences in snow cover are from North Shore to South Shore in Suffolk County. ISP only had 6" on the ground before today's snow, while you had 12" in Smithtown.

14 days of at least 10" snow cover is quite impressive for Long Island. Central Park's longest such streak since 1900 is only 16 days in 1947-48. (They only had 10 consecutive days with at least 10" snow cover in 1995-96).

Archived