Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/25 NYC/PHL Light snow Obs

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1996...What's on the menu for Saturday...Noaa has snow in the forecast...

Looks like a clipper Unc. Wow, I didnt realize 1996 had back to back 20 inch months-- the biggest storm in Feb was just under a foot. I guess we must have had a second (or third....) I forgot about lol.

I know someone mentioned possibly eclipsing the biggest seasonal total thus far if we ended up with roughly 8"+.for tomorrows storm. I guess that number just got a bit smaller too.

Im just hoping this winter doesnt end up like 2003-04 when we got **** after January.

Yeah I'm actually ahead of NYC so far, with 38.5" here in Monmouth County. But today's surprise event may have brought NYC from 36" up to 38" now.

Did you have accumulating snow today, Iso? I saw that there was a sharp cut off south of NYC.

Second time we had daytime snow with temps apparently above freezing where it accumulated at the onset and then melted away when the heavier stuff moved in. I'd say we got an 1" or so based on the rate it fell but cannot measure since no new snow to find.

"We" as in Brooklyn? The temps never exceeded 29F as the snow was falling here on the upper west side.

Yup, as in south Brooklyn. All stations around me reported 31 degrees max but for some reason it all melted as it fell (even the heavy stuff) so I'm guessing it was warmer than that.

Unfortunately, in the urban heat zones we live in, an inch or two of snow is always gone unless the temps are like 28F or less. every sidewalk and street in Manhattan is treated with salt and virtually everything disappears instantaneously. Thank god for Central Park!!

Anybody have the airport totals for todays storm?

Central Park and LGA must have had near 2"

JFK less.

I wonder why no snowfall accumulations have been added by Upton yet.

Thanks in advance.

At work in Bayside, easy 2" fell and everything, including roads were coverd at one point. Now there is new snow only left on grass, existing snowpack and some sidewalks.

Yes, I'd recommend all of you LI/NYC folks send your reports in to OKX. Their current PNS reads like Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, and Long Island don't exist...

Any snow totals from the North Shore of Long Island for today's event? I was at work on the S. Shore all day but a friend of mine came in later and said there was at least 3 new inches in Rocky Point.. By the time I got back to Port Jeff., measuring the depth of the "soft" snow before the ruler reached the deep, icy pack also yielded about 3 inches...Upton PNS was silent on this area...any reports?

It is probably too late as I doubt they will issue another PNS on that event...they would probably be afraid people would confuse it with the coming storm. I would send the 3.0" total in if I was certain it was correct..though I'm not as I was not in town to witness...my appeal was mostly to get a couple of #'s from people in my immediate area to know what to put down in my log book...if I don't get any...it will go down as 3".

Didnt get home until 11 last night, concrete surfaces had melted off but there was 2.25" of new snow on top of the snowpack. I work in Hauppauge and there was only a coating there.

As soon as I saw the snow covered roads this morning I KNEW the forecasts of mixing were going to be a BUST haha. It's been snowing hard here and this is the same thing that happened with Dec 2003. The only difference is this storm isnt supposed to last as long. It's funny to see the news people behind the times lol. Its snowing clear down to ACY and its pretty clear there wont be any mixing.

You were right with the radiational cooling; we were down in the mid 20s this morning. The two storms this reminds me of are actually Dec 2003 and Apr 1996-- we got a lot of radiational cooling before that one started too and that enabled us to start as snow instead of a mix, giving us a head start on accumulations. We already have over an inch on the ground.

I guess there really isnt a gulf stream this winter ;)

Archived