Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA Late January Thread Part II

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have we stolen another poster, this time psuhoffman? Hooray! :)

Welcome to the best thread on this forum, our neweset friend! Your input is always greatly appreciated, you've had this storm nailed for so long it's really remarkable. Congratulations to you.

Thanks but honestly I know I was just as much lucky then anything else. All I did was identify a pattern I thought was favorable, it was still lucky chance that everything came together

Thanks but honestly I know I was just as much lucky then anything else. All I did was identify a pattern I thought was favorable, it was still lucky chance that everything came together

Since this is your storm, what are you thinking for southern PA? Who gets in on the good stuff, who's looking on from the cheap seats?

I am getting sleet right now. It should turn to all snow soon though right?

Yes, as the sun sets and precip moves in you will go to all snow.

Wow. That is surprising but can't last long. How about that SPC discussion that had the heavier snow band sticking a middle finger to Cumberland and Dauphin county? Someone did that on purpose. Ha

Take a look how the NWS edge of the MESO lines up PERFECTLY with the boundary of the winter storm warning/winter weather advisory. If the SPC drew that MESO into Harrisburg and Lebanon that would not line with up the warning/advisory map.

I say we go for it.

The PSUHazletonWx Storm - let's do this thing!

it has the chance to be a decent overunning driven event, but It probably wont be a dynamic type storm or deep surface system, the H5 pattern is not very energetic but it is taking some southern stream moisture and pushing it into a 1038 arctic high. Not the worst setup as long as expectations are realistic, its probably a light to moderate event unless things really change a lot with the trough axis and depth.

Lets keep the focus on this storm, for now and enjoy what we have!

I'm currently looking at radar and water vapor out of the Mid Atlantic and I must remark how impressed I am. The cloud tops are cooling at a phenomenal rate over West Virginia and western Virginia. Also, if you take a look at this radar loop (http://radar.weather...s/full_loop.php) you will note a curvature to the precipitation shield. This is a classic signal for significant east coast cyclogenesis. It's going to get really fun for the southern tier counties over the next 10 - 15 hours! In fact, I would not be surprise if cities like Gettysburg, York, Harrisburg Lancaster and Coatesville see some thundersnow! :snowing:

sorry I am an hour behind right now...didnt see your post yet when I commented on the next storm. I agree the VV's on the RUC are off the charts for 5 hours or so along the southern teir of PA from Breezewood east. I think there are going to be some 2"/hr rates for a while in the places you identified.

Archived