Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Central PA Late January Thread Part II

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DC weenies are now worrying about being dry slotted. That could happen if this actually did move farther north and west.

No, just one weenie who apparently is more interested in history than anything else. Phin put him in his place. I just about spit out my tea when i read that.

Anywho, the radar is looking great right now for these parts. Time for a 'thumpin'...

Looks like it has actually stopped for the moment in Camp Hill. Management at my office is going with the "no big deal" approach to the storm. A couple of our employees who live in the Warning area have inquired about leaving early, but as of now the boss is taking a "wait and see" attitude based on the fact that local TV and the NWS have continued to downplay this event.

Looks like it has actually stopped for the moment in Camp Hill. Management at my office is going with the "no big deal" approach to the storm. A couple of our employees who live in the Warning area have inquired about leaving early, but as of now the boss is taking a "wait and see" attitude based on the fact that local TV and the NWS have continued to downplay this event.

i feel sorry for everyone who is going to be blindsided coming home from work today in the evening...going to be a disaster of a commute.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0050 NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 0119 PM CST WED JAN 26 2011 AREAS AFFECTED...NERN VA...WASHINGTON DC...CNTRL/NRN MD...MUCH OF DE...SERN PA...MUCH OF NJ...NEW YORK CITY METRO AREA AND WRN LONG ISLAND CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW VALID 261919Z - 270115Z SNOWFALL WILL SPREAD INTO NERN VA...WASHINGTON DC...AND CNTRL/NRN MD DURING THE 21-00Z TIME PERIOD...WITH RATES OF 1 IN/HR PROBABLE...AND LOCALLY EXCEEDING 2 IN/HR FOR A BRIEF PERIOD OF TIME. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1-2 IN/HR WILL THEN SPREAD NEWD ACROSS DE...SERN PA...MUCH OF NJ...THE NEW YORK CITY METRO AREA AND WRN LONG ISLAND BY 00-03Z. A PROGRESSIVE UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH LOCATED OVER THE WRN CAROLINAS AT 18Z IS FORECAST TO TAKE ON A NEGATIVE TILT AS IT EJECTS NEWD ACROSS THE MID ATLANTIC COAST THIS EVENING. AS THIS OCCURS...OFFSHORE SURFACE CYCLONE WILL MOVE NEWD TOWARD A POSITION S-SE OF LONG ISLAND BY 03Z. MODEL FORECAST SOUNDINGS INDICATE THERMODYNAMIC PROFILES ALONG AND S OF A LINE FROM NRN VA TO CNTRL NJ WILL INITIALLY SUPPORT RAIN /POSSIBLY MIXED WITH FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET/. HOWEVER...THE COMBINATION OF STRONG DEEP LAYER ASCENT AND STRENGTHENING LOW-LEVEL CAA OCCURRING IN THE WAKE OF THE DEPARTING SURFACE LOW WILL FAVOR A QUICK TRANSITION TO SNOW AS THE PRIMARY SHIELD OF PRECIPITATION TRANSLATES NEWD DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON INTO THE EARLY NIGHT. MODEL GUIDANCE INDICATES STRONG SYNOPTIC-SCALE ASCENT WILL BECOME JUXTAPOSED WITH A ZONE OF STRENGTHENING LOW-MIDLEVEL FRONTOGENESIS ALIGNED FROM NERN VA NEWD INTO NEW ENGLAND...AIDING IN INTENSE UVV/S THROUGH THE DENDRITIC GROWTH ZONE. PRECIPITATION RATES MAY BE FURTHER ENHANCED BY WEAK CONVECTIVE INSTABILITY ROOTED IN THE 700-600 MB LAYER. HEAVY SNOWFALL RATES ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OVER NERN VA...WASHINGTON DC...AND CNTRL/NRN MD BY 21-00Z. AS THE UPPER TROUGH MOVES TOWARD THE MID ATLANTIC COAST DURING THE 00-03Z TIME PERIOD...STRONG ASCENT ACCOMPANIED BY THE DEVELOPMENT OF HEAVY SNOWFALL RATES WILL SPREAD NEWD ACROSS DE...SERN PA...NJ...AND EVENTUALLY THE NEW YORK CITY METRO AREA AND WRN LONG ISLAND. ..GARNER.. 01/26/2011

Archived