Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 WPAC Tropical Cyclone Season

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z analysis... 927mb! That's down from 944mb, just 6 hours ago. That's the lowest non-tropical pressure I've seen in the Pacific, and nearly matches the 927-928mb storm near Ireland of last Christmas, as the lowest non-tropical pressure I've seen on a map.

post-1182-0-79857700-1415437863_thumb.gi

At 06Z November 08 OPC analyzed the central pressure of post-tropical Nuri to 924mb. In terms of central pressure, this is now one of the strongest known Northern Pacific cyclones on record. The lowest pressure ever recorded in Alaska from such a storm was 925mb during the October 25-26, 1977 time frame at Dutch Harbor, AK.

post-594-0-45031800-1415439957_thumb.png

Looks like Nuri bottomed out at 924 mb. Back up to 928 now.

Here’s the 12 UTC OPC Pacific surface analysis chart, 1232 MTSAT2 infrared satellite image & latest ASCAT high resolution pass. Post-tropical Nuri remains a hurricane force low (winds ≥ 64 knots) with a central pressure of 928mb in the Bering Sea. The OPC Pacific high seas forecast can be found here, http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/NFDHSFEP1.shtml.
1412293_779492658776134_3434931336280933
397567_779492745442792_37481553475923808

• 4 weeks later...

The GFS and Euro continue to disagree about this system's future track.  The GFS(and parallel GFS) slow it to a crawl e/ne of the Philippines and turn it slowly north.  The Euro has this system hauling westward to near the Philippines, then slows and turns wsw across the central islands near where Haiyan hit, then speeds it up again and moves it westward into Vietnam.

Shear along the path is a thing of beauty:

Wow, you don't see that happen too often!

Looking at IR and water vapor, I'm getting the impression that Hagupit is "primed" for RI.  Whether it commences 1h from now or 24h form now remains to be seen.  A good polar-orbiter pass would be exceptionally helpful right now, but the only recent pass was TMI which missed the core. 

Will 2014's Hagupit beat 2008's?  Seems like a good bet right now unless the environment is much less favorable than currently analyzed. 

Hagupit started out with an pinhole eye so it quickly went into an eyewall replacement cycle overnight.  This morning the cycle is about over and the core is looking good with a larger eye.  The official forecast follows the GFS and turns it north before reaching the Philippines, but the Euro won't budge from its wsw track across the central Philippines.

Hagupit is looking extremely intense...still having trouble clearing that eye though. 

Looks like it has completed an eyewall replacement cycle per microwave imagery... it takes a bit longer for the cirrus in the eyewall to clear as the vertical circulation intensifies. Shouldn't be too long.

TRMM pass earlier

20141203.0342.trmm.x.tmi_85h_1deg.22WHAG

AMSR 2 Pass

20141203.1618.gcomw1.x.89h_1deg.22WHAGUP

^ Really impressive outflow pattern there.

Latest JTWC forecast has this thing at 160 kts sustained at 72 hrs.

Also the 12z Euro takes a track that is frighteningly similar to Haiyan, making an initial landfall near Guiuan and then putting the RFQ into Tacloban.

As the sun continues to rise over Hagupit, its cloud tops are beginning warm a little bit. I imagine this is because of the incoming solar radiation on the CDO. Clouds have a very reflective albedo, but it doesn't reflect all radiation. I noticed this occurring in Haiyan last year too. Barring any structural changes, I imagine they'll cool back down a little bit again when the sun sets.

If Hagupit is going to get as strong as Haiyan, I think it has about a 6-12 hour window starting about 9 hours from now to do so. The sun will be down so the CDO can radiate heat more effectively into space, it will probably be before the next eyewall replacement cycle begins, and the system will probably still be moving just fast enough to where it doesn't use too much of the OHC to allow intensity-limiting upwelling. We'll see though, peak intensity forecasting is still notoriously difficult, even when dry air and shear are non-factors like in this case.

GFS southward trend into Samar continues with its 06Z run. 

If there is any good news, if it does in fact make landfall, that is probably the best possible location as it is one of the most sparsely populated Islands especially along the eastern facing coastline. Up until this run I was really hoping for the GFS to be correct since it was persistent on keeping the center offshore. The trend the past 24 hours has not been encouraging for sure. 

Archived