• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 WPAC Tropical Cyclone Season

Looks like I was wrong in thinking eyewall replacement would hold off for several more hours. This microwave pass from over four hours ago seems to indicate that it has begun. Infrared imagery also supports that with the eye not as perfectly round and the CDO not being perfectly symmetrical. I'd guess Hagupit is just slightly past peak intensity now.

20141204.0909.f19.x.91h.22WHAGUPIT.155kt

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hagupit is not well. A fairly substantial shot of dry air originating from the South China Sea has been entrained by the system, taking out most of the eastern eyewall.

I'd guess that JTWC's estimate maintaining a Cat 4 through landfall (assuming a landfall does in fact occur in Samar) is generous.  In any event, a very slow forward motion will be the main problem.  Hagupit will be over the Philippines for >48h, and while sturdy structures will do fine, sustained typhoon-force winds for several hours will do a number on weaker infrastructure.  Freshwater flooding should also be quite bad. 

post-378-0-65078500-1417821834_thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...

This year in the Western Pacific, while down a bit on total numbers, saw three systems max out at 155 kt (Vongfong, Nuri, and Hagupit). The last time so many storms were rated so intense was in 1997 when four such storms were estimated to have achieved an intensity of 155 kt or greater (Ivan, Joan, Keith, and Paka). Prior to that, you would have to go all the way back to 1964 to find another such year, and that was during a time when recon likely overestimated wind speeds.

Archived