• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post your favorite winter event by month

BullCityWx

This should be a fun debate. The only rule is you had to have been alive to witness the event: 

November: November 19th, 2000. Surprise snow event with 2.5". Would hold up as the biggest event of the 2000/2001 winter. 

December: December 4th, 2002 Ice Storm. This isnt necessarily my favorite but it may be the highest impact winter storm of my lifetime. 90% of the Charlotte metro at one time or another lost power and the damage to the power infrastructure was worse than Hugo. 

January: January 1988. Probably the seminal winter storm of my childhood. 14" in our yard with drifts up to my chest. Temps stayed in the high teens/low 20s for the entire event. Cold coming in after the event kept the snow around for weeks. 

February: February 2004. Heavy front end thump of snow really made this event. Temps werent especially cold and we missed out on the convective snow that came that evening. We ended up with 10", which is a good storm but missed out on the 20"+ totals about 30 miles to the east and southeast. 

March: March 1993. If that isnt your vote then I dont know about you. 

This should be a fun debate. The only rule is you had to have been alive to witness the event:

November: November 19th, 2000. Surprise snow event with 2.5". Would hold up as the biggest event of the 2000/2001 winter.

December: December 4th, 2002 Ice Storm. This isnt necessarily my favorite but it may be the highest impact winter storm of my lifetime. 90% of the Charlotte metro at one time or another lost power and the damage to the power infrastructure was worse than Hugo.

January: January 1988. Probably the seminal winter storm of my childhood. 14" in our yard with drifts up to my chest. Temps stayed in the high teens/low 20s for the entire event. Cold coming in after the event kept the snow around for weeks.

February: February 2004. Heavy front end thump of snow really made this event. Temps werent especially cold and we missed out on the convective snow that came that evening. We ended up with 10", which is a good storm but missed out on the 20"+ totals about 30 miles to the east and southeast.

March: March 1993. If that isnt your vote then I dont know about you.

My favorite Mar event was Mar 1st 2009! 8" of paste and rained about all day, changed to sleet for about 15 min, then poured snow !

November.....I think I saw flurries once or twice in Nov, but couldn't specify a date.

December.....Dec 3 2000 15" followed by Dec 23 1989 "white Xmas Storm" and Dec 25/26 2010 white Xmas Storm both around 12"

January....Jan 2-3 2002 snow wise maybe 8" and there was a ice storm in the late 1980's in Jan that gave us .50-1" of ice and sleet that had the 50 ft pine trees out back bent over till the tops touched the ground. Jan is ironically the month with the least big storms but we have had lots of little 2-4" type events or minor ice storms.

February....Feb 24th 1989 around a foot of snow, Feb 16 1987 Ice storm around 1" if ice lots of tree damage etc....

March....obviously Mar 1-2 1980 24" of snow 6-8 ft drifts, temps in the mid teens for much of the storm most epic snow I will most likely ever see IMBY..... Mar 24th 1983 8" snow was like concrete and was very late in the season to see that kind of snow.

Dec:  12/25/2010, you can't beat this, tracking this for it seems like forever and then the models lose it.  Then on Xmas eve the GFS picks it back up.

Jan:  1/2/2002, this was a long duration, 12"+ event, it started in the evening and snowed through the next evening.  I know it was half as much snow as 1/25/2000 but like it better since it was longer duration and you could watch the heavy stuff.  The 1/25/2000 you went to sleep and woke up and it was essentially over.  Beggars can't be choosers, neither one sucks but prefer 2002.

Feb:  2/27/87, it snowed like every week that winter in Winston (which is my hometown), great event to cap off the winter.  Probably the snowiest winter I have ever experienced.

March:  March 80 and/or March 81, both great events for Winston.  March 81 probably wins since it so late in March and it was 10"+.

November: November 1, 2014 1 inch of snow at my house as an upper level low delivered the goods. 

December: I was working in Charlotte for the Ice storm listed above on December 4. I was the jerk of a boss who made my employees come in and work as I was only 23 and got to work just fine. I went without power for 8 days. Close second was a white christmas from 2010

January: Jan 6-8, 1988. I was in Columbia as a kid and we got 6 inches with a 1/4 of ice on top. Stayed around for days and days. 

February: February 12-13. It was only 5 inches but it was the first time going outside with my son and him knowing snow was special in the South and sledding with him. It was great. 

March: It has to be the Storm of the Century March 12-15 1993. While we didn't get a lot of snow in Camden, we did get about 3 inches and the storm came out of no where. 

Nov - The 2000 snow, although it never covered the ground here

Dec - has to be the 2002 ice storm, although I hated losing power for 2 days

Jan - the famous 1988 snow event 

Feb - the 2004 snowstorm 

March - the March 1983 snowstorm - The superstorm of 1993 was mostly a no show here.

November - A few years back we had 1 inch of snow in the middle of the month. Our 1st of 4 snowfalls that fall and winter.

December - 6 inches of snow the day after Christmas 2010. So close to a white Christmas.

January - Up in the mountains of Va - Presidents day blizzard of 1996 - 3 feet of snow. Honorable mention 1985 6 inches of snow followed by record cold snap thru out the eastern 2/3's of the country.

February - 2014 we had 3 inches of sleet with snow on top - out of work for 4 days. Honorable mention, 1989 had 2 blizzards within a week but saw temp rise to near 80 in between them.

March - 1980 early March blizzard that dumped 17" on us in Virginia Beach, out of school for a week.

November: The quick snowfall that fell (and quickly melted) a few hours later on the morning of Thanksgiving Eve back in 2013. We got a little more than a dusting, but my memory is blanking on how much. I think it was about 1/4 inch. This is the only time I can recall seeing measurable snow on the ground in November and just a couple of days after my birthday nonetheless! :D

December: No contest here, the White Christmas we had back on December 25, 2010. I always wished for it as a kid and the fact that it finally happened made me ecstatic! 

January: This has got to be the hardest month to decide out of all of them. We got great years like 2000/02/03/05/08, 2010/11 and '14 to choose from. I guess I would go with January 9-10, 2011 only because it's the first time I can remember being out of school an entire week because of snow. Plus we got half a foot that stuck around for a couple of weeks. The 1-2 punch icestorms from January 2000 was a very close second though.

February: The snowstorm that struck a couple of days before Valentines Day back in 2010. One of those few cases where the majority of Southerners got some snowfall be it small or significant. I only wish it had of been a slow mover...

March: I would put the most obvious (Superstorm '93), but it can't count for me since I was only a 3 1/2 month baby when it occurred, so I'll have to go with the next best thing which was the snowstorm we got on March 1, 2009. It's still in my top 3 due to witnessing thundersnow for the first time twice throughout the event. Now I understood how Jim Cantore felt.  :lol:

Nov: I missed the Nov 2000 event...was driving back from Orlando where temperatures were in the 70's.

Dec: 2002 ice storm is the biggest one I've seen (since the late 70's).

Jan: 1988 snow was one of those rare forecasts here leading up to the event where it was more a question of 'how much' instead of 'will it snow'

Feb: I like gulf lows that produce a lot of snow, so 2004.  The late morning snow near the end of the overrunning period is the heaviest rates I've seen in CLT.

Mar: 1983.  Much like the Feb 1987 storm, the forecast leading up was for rain, but it ended up being a heavy, wet snow.  Sfc map from the morning of Mar 24, 1983:

Sfc_1983.png

Haha yep.  I got nothing for November.

I think I lived in Rocky Mount at the time.  But for some reason, I sure don't remember that storm.

It was a great one. A true blizzard in NC. I was a kid living in Goldsboro (Dad in Air Force). Started snowing huge flakes in the morning and as the day went on the temp got colder and colder as the wind speed kept increasing. Next morning we had drifts banked up the side of our house.

Here's one for November; not great but it did cover the ground white:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20001119/

It was a great one. A true blizzard in NC. I was a kid living in Goldsboro (Dad in Air Force). Started snowing huge flakes in the morning and as the day went on the temp got colder and colder as the wind speed kept increasing. Next morning we had drifts banked up the side of our house.

Here's one for November; not great but it did cover the ground white:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20001119/

lol, we were not here yet but that 3 inch blip in Chatham co. is square on top of our place. I think the Haw and the Deep rivers converging there along with the prox. of Jordan lake causes this sometimes. Just a theory of mine. No science to back it up. 

Nov: I missed the Nov 2000 event...was driving back from Orlando where temperatures were in the 70's.

Dec: 2002 ice storm is the biggest one I've seen (since the late 70's).

Jan: 1988 snow was one of those rare forecasts here leading up to the event where it was more a question of 'how much' instead of 'will it snow'

Feb: I like gulf lows that produce a lot of snow, so 2004.  The late morning snow near the end of the overrunning period is the heaviest rates I've seen in CLT.

Mar: 1983.  Much like the Feb 1987 storm, the forecast leading up was for rain, but it ended up being a heavy, wet snow.  Sfc map from the morning of Mar 24, 1983:

Did you get most of your accumulation from the front end part of 04? I only got two inches the rest of the day once the overrunning stopped. 

October: Back yard BBQ (dry and warm) and NCAA football with Corona Light

November: Back yard BBQ, turkey and NCAA football with beer and occasional cool rain

December: NCAA basketball with a little football with beer and dodging cold rain showers

January: Sunny and cold

February: Overcast, cold and my only likely chance for freezing precip

March: Allergy season/Final 4

April: Flonase season in full tilt boogie; bass season starts

May: Hot as hell and wishing it was January

Archived