joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Observations Thread

CAD_Wedge_NC

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a low of 22.5° this morning, wow!  Scared to even look at the damage it caused to the new growth on my hostas and the buds on the azaleas.  It was below 30° for almost 9 hours last night.  Glad I waited on planting summer vegetables.  Even if I covered them, it was prob too cold to protect them.

Had a low of 22.5° this morning, wow! Scared to even look at the damage it caused to the new growth on my hostas and the buds on the azaleas. It was below 30° for almost 9 hours last night. Glad I waited on planting summer vegetables. Even if I covered them, it was prob too cold to protect them.

Yeah , they were nipped by Friday nights low of 31 here, but just glancing out the window, every flower and bit of new growth is mush on my lorapetalums, Bradfords were in almost full leaf , they look to be ok, Japanese maples leaves were not open, but were out, think they are ok! Takes alot of energy for a tree or shrub to produce new foliage after first flush is killed by a freeze , so that keeps them in a weakened state the rest of the growing season! If we were unfortunate enough to get a drought this summer, that would be a double whammy that could kill alot of trees and shrubs, not necessarily this year , but could take a year or two to show these effects! Currently 49 and this week looks warm and hopefully wet on a few days.

It only got down to 28.9 at our peach farm this morning. Most of our blossoms are fine.  The same can not be said for the midlands peach area's as they got down to the mid 20's. The gaffney/chesnee area dropped into the low 20's and most certainly got whipped out.

I hate my region for wintry weather as we are almost always a few degree's warmer than everywhere else, but it works in my favor this time of year... lol

This weekend in SAV was absolutely gorgeous! The bright, beautiful crisp cool days with just a few fair weather clouds made for nearly perfect walking conditions. The widespread bloomed azaleas only added to the very pleasant atmosphere. I almost didn't want to stop walking. The nights have been refreshingly chilly. Ahhhhhh. Life is good. I love the south.

SAV was about 3 colder today than the coldest normal of any day (parts of Jan).

Archived