joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that mad river total looks like an error.  they are opening saturday which is way early for them.

That's what they are reporting, but it does stand out when the rest of the Spine is fairly consistent.  Must've gotten some localized stuff, or someone is just excited to start the season there, haha.

Like you I couldn't figure out how they got to 31" from their reports over the past couple days.  Its like someone meant to say 21" because there's like 10-12" not accounted for somewhere in there, lol.

That's what they are reporting, but it does stand out when the rest of the Spine is fairly consistent.  Must've gotten some localized stuff, or someone is just excited to start the season there, haha.

Like you I couldn't figure out how they got to 31" from their reports over the past couple days.  Its like someone meant to say 21" because there's like 10-12" not accounted for somewhere in there, lol.

Top of Killington is 30 though

Be nice to get some extended cold weather in here to freeze up the lakes/ponds. Looks like it might be a late start.

Doesn't look good for the near future - 12z gfs doesn't have any real cold thru D16.  Fortunately there's been no 2006 torch, so the water temps are down and ready.  I was surprised at how little ice caught in Monday's cold - must've been some breath of wind overnight.  The Kennebec ran with lots of slushy ice for two days and briefly caught just below the southernmost bridge in Augusta, but that's blown out now with all the rain.

4pm snow report says 24" storm total.

Its still a lot of snow...but I will say this caking paste does feel and look like a lot more.  I mean looking at it on the mountain and skiing it, it felt like we got 4 feet of snow. 

Pickles  is there said 30, will ask Radarman tonight, he was there with Pete and Lars too.

Pickles  is there said 30, will ask Radarman tonight, he was there with Pete and Lars too.

Well, we were just going by the official posted numbers.  I'd be curious if pickles is actually measuring the snow at the summit, or if it just looks like 30".  I mean there isn't much different in terms of looks.  Its a lot of snow...but I saw it today at Stowe too.  Riding the Gondola these folks were talking that there's "well over two feet" out there.  I told them, no it was 19".  "But my pole goes most of the way to the ground and its a 40-inch ski pole"... well yeah, there was snow on the ground before the storm.  It can be hard to separate it out when the mountains are buried.

Well, we were just going by the official posted numbers.  I'd be curious if pickles is actually measuring the snow at the summit, or if it just looks like 30".  I mean there isn't much different in terms of looks.  Its a lot of snow...but I saw it today at Stowe too.  Riding the Gondola these folks were talking that there's "well over two feet" out there.  I told them, no it was 19".  "But my pole goes most of the way to the ground and its a 40-inch ski pole"... well yeah, there was snow on the ground before the storm.  It can be hard to separate it out when the mountains are buried.

we will know soon enough eric will have measured

we will know soon enough eric will have measured

Haha ok.  Hopefully there's a good picnic table or surface to measure on as you'd have no idea what snow fell from this storm and not from the system last weekend, etc.  That's all I'm saying, it doesn't matter one way or another, but its not easy to just walk onto a mountain and figure out how much snow fell without some sort of system to divide out the various snowfalls.

4pm snow report says 24" storm total.

Its still a lot of snow...but I will say this caking paste does feel and look like a lot more.  I mean looking at it on the mountain and skiing it, it felt like we got 4 feet of snow. 

Or skiing like we got 3 inches....You can ride the paste and not punch through it like it's three inches. Which isn't a bad thing. I was pretty tired or slamming rocks. 

Actually hope we get a little thaw/freeze w/out much rain. Lock these 20" down solid and create a base to last the rest of december. 

Looks like a few more fun 1-3" type 12hr periods through sat am.  Best guess is that with a strange flow western places like Bolton do best. 

And MRG will have 90"

Or skiing like we got 3 inches....You can ride the paste and not punch through it like it's three inches. Which isn't a bad thing. I was pretty tired or slamming rocks. 

Actually hope we get a little thaw/freeze w/out much rain. Lock these 20" down solid and create a base to last the rest of december. 

Looks like a few more fun 1-3" type 12hr periods through sat am.  Best guess is that with a strange flow western places like Bolton do best. 

And MRG will have 90"

Yeah I agree...this has a Bolton and Smuggs west side blocked flow type feel to it.  Bolton would be my jackpot guess in the next 36 hours.

A few photos from Stowe Village...I've had a 10.8" storm total but we've had a bit more measureable this evening in snow showers, so that'll be going up.  Over 2" of liquid equiv though in that 10" of snow.

Our snow definitely looks wetter than the Champlain Valley, and the trees aren't as caked.  We got the bulk of our snow in that first wave, which was incredibly wet, then topped it with 4" of paste.  BTV got absolutely crushed in that second wave, definitely a higher storm total over there in some of those lake valley locations.  A buddy and I were just talking about it, about how its awesome for the valley to win some.

IMG_5595_edited-1_zpsa7605d7c.jpg

IMG_5590_edited-2_zpsadb6cebe.jpg

IMG_5474_edited-1_zps899435e3.jpg

What was storm 1 total?

6.3" + 4.5".  There's another 0.5-0.75" out there this evening.  We'll probably penny our way to 2" overnight or something.

Storm one had the real significant QPF values...here's the liquid equivalents locally.  The Stowe CoCoRAHS station is right below the Lamoille County name.

Event totals: 11.9” Snow/2.57" L.E.

The snow is becoming much drier now – getting down around 5% H2O with this latest round.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.08 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 18.8

Snow Density: 5.3% H2O

Temperature: 31.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 13.0"

There's some good fluffy snow coming down out there, with almost another inch on the board since I last cleared it.

11DEC14A.gif

There was 2 feet new at the Base at Killington....well over 2 feet at the top, I didn't clear every 6 hours thou ha . I was talking to Mountain ops guys for a while when the power was out. 2 of them said a bit over 3 feet at the top, next time I will ask them if they just "threw their poles in the ground" and guessed :). My guess is anyone that just throws a ruler in the ground (if it was cleared space prior to storm) would have close to 20% compaction but maybe not , I did get a snow stake as sort of a gag gift from a women I work out with, I should take that with me for my travels ha ha

Honestly thou It was a monster storm, the trees were just keeling over the higher one went, I shook a few of them but no real ice on them, just caked heavy wet cement, I think the fact they lost power for the first time in a very long time may speak to how much they got. I don't think they got more than 2 or so inches today, wasn't really coming down that hard, nice fluffy dentrites and 28 in the pm there, absolutely gorgeous day and fabulous conditions

There was 2 feet new at the Base at Killington....well over 2 feet at the top, I didn't clear every 6 hours thou ha . I was talking to Mountain ops guys for a while when the power was out. 2 of them said a bit over 3 feet at the top, next time I will ask them if they just "threw their poles in the ground" and guessed :). My guess is anyone that just throws a ruler in the ground (if it was cleared space prior to storm) would have close to 20% compaction but maybe not , I did get a snow stake as sort of a gag gift from a women I work out with, I should take that with me for my travels ha ha

Honestly thou It was a monster storm, the trees were just keeling over the higher one went, I shook a few of them but no real ice on them, just caked heavy wet cement, I think the fact they lost power for the first time in a very long time may speak to how much they got. I don't think they got more than 2 or so inches today, wasn't really coming down that hard, nice fluffy dentrites and 28 in the pm there, absolutely gorgeous day and fabulous conditions

Sounds real deal, haha.  Tell them to up their snow amounts ;)

There was 2 feet new at the Base at Killington....well over 2 feet at the top, I didn't clear every 6 hours thou ha . I was talking to Mountain ops guys for a while when the power was out. 2 of them said a bit over 3 feet at the top, next time I will ask them if they just "threw their poles in the ground" and guessed :). My guess is anyone that just throws a ruler in the ground (if it was cleared space prior to storm) would have close to 20% compaction but maybe not , I did get a snow stake as sort of a gag gift from a women I work out with, I should take that with me for my travels ha ha

Honestly thou It was a monster storm, the trees were just keeling over the higher one went, I shook a few of them but no real ice on them, just caked heavy wet cement, I think the fact they lost power for the first time in a very long time may speak to how much they got. I don't think they got more than 2 or so inches today, wasn't really coming down that hard, nice fluffy dentrites and 28 in the pm there, absolutely gorgeous day and fabulous conditions

Pete said 24 plus,sounded awesome

The west slopes to JSpin, pretty much anyone from the VT side of the lake to right on the Spin axis...are gonna get buried in the next 24-36 hours.

About an hour ago it was 1/3 mile visibility through the Bolton flats, falling off quickly towards exit 10.  Like clockwork, Froude number almost takes the fun out of localized snowfall a bit. 

Archived