Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2014 Observations

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The radar presentation just went from a bunch of sorta-lined-up-blobs into a lovely *click* straight and narrow line.

(This is west of Atlanta)

Line is only about 1-2 miles away, the sky just went dark as I typed this and the breeze took a turn from cool-and-damp to chilly-and-wet.

Looking forward to rain.

...aaaaand the wind's just hit the treetops, time to go close the west-facing windows.

The radar presentation just went from a bunch of sorta-lined-up-blobs into a lovely *click* straight and narrow line.

(This is west of Atlanta)

Line is only about 1-2 miles away, the sky just went dark as I typed this and the breeze took a turn from cool-and-damp to chilly-and-wet.

Looking forward to rain.

...aaaaand the wind's just hit the treetops, time to go close the west-facing windows.

What a "tease"!  

Thin line... pay attention.

What a "tease"!  

Thin line... pay attention.

Normally, yeah, I'd be watching it like a hawk.  But this line was weak when it started and didn't have much to work with.  The CAPES and shear to support SVR just weren't there.

We had a couple of minutes of moderate-almost-heavy rain, then it settled into moderate-to-light since. A few gusts, but I doubt any of them topped 35-40mph.  A couple of thunderbooms.  I can tell the windspeeds were low by the fact that the one west-facing window I left open never got enough rain blown in to annoy the cat sitting on the sill.

South of us they had a bit heavier activity, still well below SVR from what I could tell.

The real misery from this line will be that it was perfectly timed to totally screw up Atlanta's rush hour for the west and northbound traffic, and on a Friday at the beginning of serious travel season, too.  ugly ugly ugly.

Got a nice little storm yesterday with some good downpours.  Short lived though.. only got 0.17" at the house but it blew through with quite a roar.  Watch 6 workers at the Sam's Club run out to catch a canopy that was just about to fly away.

I caught all of it and then some!!! Nickel-quarter sized hail for about 5-10 minutes!! It was awesome, some were smoothe and some were spiky like starfish! 2nd biggest hail I've seen in person in my life! I was running around outside like it was snowing and have two bowls of the bigger and neater looking ones in the freezer!# nerd!

About .05" rain. Mack got the good stuff. Just a little wind here.

So what r u gonna do with two bowls of hail?

It was a pretty dull storm with a few claps of thunder and decent rain, maybe 1/4 of an inch and I heard it start hitting the window, then ran around like a 5 year old! I wish I could post pics, I got alot on my phone . Against edges of house and beds, it collected like sleet! I'm going to look at the hail in the bowls atleast once a week and show them to everyone that visits!!! :)

Got up to 88 here, but humidity dropped down to 29% mid afternoon with a 52 DP. Been a long time since I've seen the birdbath evaporate so quickly like it has over the last 2 days! Outflow boundary came through and quickly dropped the temp down to 75 at that time. Currently 70/59

Humid this morn.. dried quickly.

<Had about .05-.08" inches of rain yesterday. Big event, in my corner, these days.

<Having a hard time remembering when it was this dry.

Precip totals since March 1 (SE)... anyone?

NW SC, NE GA, parts of Western NC - must be sig. below ave.

Here you go.

http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/products/maps/acis/sercc/60dPNormSERCC.png

April put us well above average. May has been dry so far. Then we missed all the storms today.

Here you go.

http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/products/maps/acis/sercc/60dPNormSERCC.png

April put us well above average. May has been dry so far. Then we missed all the storms today.

Thanks!  I'm in the 70-90% range (low-end, I'm sure).  SW Charlotte 150-200%!  Yep.

SOO dry here!  Sounds like yer fat wife tryin' to eat Doritos in-the-middle-of-the-night, cheatin'

on her diet, when...

... you step across the lawn to take the trash out.  Very crunchy, God-Awful Ugly!! 

Archived