Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2014 Observations

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was incredibly jealous watching those storms in Charlotte and Columbia just sitting there stationary.  Can't complain in the rain department right now though.  Picked up 1.75" over a couple days earlier in the week.  This may be the upstate's/mountain's day as the front inches closer.  Storms starting to fire along the blue ridge and even a couple popcorn storms already in the upstate.  Things should really start cranking up in the next couple hours.  According to the latest RAP cape is already at 2000 and precipitable water around 1.7-1.8 in the upstate.

I was incredibly jealous watching those storms in Charlotte and Columbia just sitting there stationary.  Can't complain in the rain department right now though.  Picked up 1.75" over a couple days earlier in the week.  This may be the upstate's/mountain's day as the front inches closer.  Storms starting to fire along the blue ridge and even a couple popcorn storms already in the upstate.  Things should really start cranking up in the next couple hours.  According to the latest RAP cape is already at 2000 and precipitable water around 1.7-1.8 in the upstate.

HRRR is targeting areas of the upstate this aftn, into SW NC and NE GA.

HRRR is targeting areas of the upstate this aftn, into SW NC and NE GA.

Do you use another site for HRRR other than NOAA?  I've been using NOAA for awhile, but lately it has been hit and miss with missing data occurring regularly.  I'll loop the southeast subhourly, but about half the time it will jump ahead several hours or only have about 8-10 hours worth of data.

Do you use another site for HRRR other than NOAA?  I've been using NOAA for awhile, but lately it has been hit and miss with missing data occurring regularly.  I'll loop the southeast subhourly, but about half the time it will jump ahead several hours or only have about 8-10 hours worth of data.

I use this one, but in the southeast domain.  Yeah, it can have missing data at times...could be moreso with the latest runs - http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/Welcome.cgi

No rain the last few days even though we had a %50 chance each day. Currently cloudy and 78 with a dew point of 69. Been a dry month so far. Only 1.60. Luckily February thru the end of April was very wet. I have gone from walking in my yard and hearing squishing to now hearing crunching as I walk on dry and dead grass.

I use this one, but in the southeast domain.  Yeah, it can have missing data at times...could be moreso with the latest runs - http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/Welcome.cgi

Same one I use.  It's only been recent that its missing data.  Storms look odd moving to the southwest.  Getting a little worried about the storms only firing in the western upstate.  Should start to fill in though with the storms b/w asheville and winston salem moving towards my area.

Nothing today! Storms firing/ converging to my west today and moving SW . Yesterday all the action was east and fell apart as it drifted SW , weather sucks sometime, just need rain, have not had any since Sun.

Stationary... sliding SW.  Darn, <got excited seeing dark sky from the west!

<One good rain in two months.  

Storms starting to back up to the eastern part of the upstate.  Some other storms beginning to approach from the northeast in nc.  I think we should start to see more storms fire up soon in the eastern areas.  Starting to hear thunder so its getting closer.  Of course if I had a dollar for every time it thundered and I didn't get rain.....

So here's a South Florida Update:  

After a relatively dry and mostly comfortable May, we have finally descended into the fiery depths of Hell. I can now confirm that each and every day that I either drive to or return home from work, I will be trekking through raindrops the size of pennies, puddles that will ruin my shoes, and lightning strikes that will result in heart murmurs.  Or, if I'm really lucky, I will enter my 4-wheeled inferno-box and burn myself on the melting-hot interior.  I will quickly attempt to ameliorate the situation by turning on the AC, which will result in wave after wave of scorching air blowing across my face until my car starts to cool by 3-5 minutes into my drive.    

I can also predict with 100% confidence that I will see at least one person with swamp-butt.  Yes Swamp Butt.  Each year in Florida, a quarter of the states population is afflicted with this terrible, terrible medical issue, causing many to either take off their favorite pants or shorts for a less attractive look or suffer with the humiliation and indignity of walking around with the dreaded ailment.

I can also predict that my co-workers will b------ about the weather for the next 2 ½ to 3 months, reminding me every day how awful conditions have become. 

On a lighter side, the 65 and older crowd will return and stay in their humble abodes where they will slumber and feed.  They will rarely come out of their homes for fear of melting. That means the extremely slow cars in the fast lanes preventing many Florida commuters from getting to work on time will most likely be driven by our lovely population of illegally-settled migrant workers trying to avoid detection and detention by el policia and the INS (or as they like to say: El Diablos).  

Well that about Wraps it up!

So here's a South Florida Update:  

After a relatively dry and mostly comfortable May, we have finally descended into the fiery depths of Hell. I can now confirm that each and every day that I either drive to or return home from work, I will be trekking through raindrops the size of pennies, puddles that will ruin my shoes, and lightning strikes that will result in heart murmurs.  Or, if I'm really lucky, I will enter my 4-wheeled inferno-box and burn myself on the melting-hot interior.  I will quickly attempt to ameliorate the situation by turning on the AC, which will result in wave after wave of scorching air blowing across my face until my car starts to cool by 3-5 minutes into my drive.    

I can also predict with 100% confidence that I will see at least one person with swamp-butt.  Yes Swamp Butt.  Each year in Florida, a quarter of the states population is afflicted with this terrible, terrible medical issue, causing many to either take off their favorite pants or shorts for a less attractive look or suffer with the humiliation and indignity of walking around with the dreaded ailment.

I can also predict that my co-workers will b------ about the weather for the next 2 ½ to 3 months, reminding me every day how awful conditions have become. 

On a lighter side, the 65 and older crowd will return and stay in their humble abodes where they will slumber and feed.  They will rarely come out of their homes for fear of melting. That means the extremely slow cars in the fast lanes preventing many Florida commuters from getting to work on time will most likely be driven by our lovely population of illegally-settled migrant workers trying to avoid detection and detention by el policia and the INS (or as they like to say: El Diablos).  

Well that about Wraps it up!

Today's weather report?  Love it.

<Lived in the NC Mountains for 3 years.  

Retired Floridians drive up the mountain... at 15mph.  They drive down the same mountain... like, "a bat out out hell" at

20mph (55 speed limit) - backing up 50 cars.

I wonder what the beloved husbands and wives discuss while they are creating traffic chaos.

BTW - If you're over 60... don't bare your legs - and keep your teats tucked into your pantyhose!

Edit: 77.  Cloudy.  

Yep, the two days we had the greatest shot for storms have passed and now it looks like nothing.  It's been thundering for over an hour and it looked like the one storm that was going to back into us suddenly changed directions and is now moving south of us.  And now what was approaching from nc is now dissipating.  Temperatures have dropped to 77 so I doubt the storms are going to much to work with now.  We get more rain from token 20% chances than we do from 60-80% chances.

West of Atlanta, we're enjoying all sorts of wind-whipping-around gusts.  Some are warm, some cool and moist, some just wind in a hurry to GET SOMEWHERE.

The radar's showing a virtual car-crash of colliding outflow boundaries and lifting going on to the WSW quadrant of the Atlanta metro.  Particularly the area between Newnan and LaGrange.

Glad I wasn't in town today.  The SVR over Smyrna/Vinings was once again timed to perfectly trash Friday rush hour in the 285/75 area.

Nice report, Blizzard Warning.  I enjoyed that read!

I picked up another 0.11 inch of rainfall IMBY earlier this afternoon.  I'm hoping that complex in Iredell County will drift a little south and west and give me some more liquid gold before the day is through.  It's been quite stationary for a while, though.

vAzGETg.png

Currently getting HEAVY sprinkles.  The ground is wet.

This is the year of the screw job for the upstate so far.  Every event has underperformed.  It started with the snow screw job.  Next was what seemed like a week long flood watch with no rain.  Then two weeks later another flood watch and only .5" of rain.  Now yesterday the typical areas rake in the rain meanwhile all I can hope for is sprinkles or a lucky popcorn storm to hit.

Think we need to get used to this weather. This will be a very dry and hot summer I'm afraid. The years 1993,1999, and 2007 all look like good matches for how this summer works out.

<Would have never imagined that Sci-Fi could so closely parallel our lives.

The Year - 2022. (2015 in NW SC.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVpN312hYgU

Edit: 73, 36 drops of rain today.  They were 'big' drops!

Archived