Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2014 Banter Thread

jm1220

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummm

SCHOOL LOCKDOWN: All Central Islip School District (Suffolk Co NY) On Lockdown -All schools in the Central ... - http://bit.ly/RMfFnd 

Maybe they got swatted just like what happened yesterday in Long Beach. It happened literally a block from my house:

http://news.yahoo.com/call-of-duty-swat-long-island-131101346.html

Maybe they got swatted just like what happened yesterday in Long Beach. It happened literally a block from my house:

http://news.yahoo.com/call-of-duty-swat-long-island-131101346.html

Not a swatting.  Shootout between four (4) people in one car and another person in another, with one car crashed into wall.  Hunt for the four individuals is ongoing still.  Cops think a drug deal, car sale or carjacking gone awry.  All per Newsday FWIW!

Ummm

Breaking911@Breaking911 4m

SCHOOL LOCKDOWN: All Central Islip School District (Suffolk Co NY) On Lockdown -All schools in the Central ... - http://bit.ly/RMfFnd

I expect a warning to be given for this post, just like I got. Right?...Right??.

Not sure what school lock down has to do with spring banter. Pretty sure it belongs in off topic

Guest Pamela

Not to belabor this Koppen climate debate; but I think the essential problem I have with it...even assuming we do allow that NYC does manage to sneak into the so called sub tropical zone...and putting aside the broad thermal range this particular category encompasses...someone mentioned close to 40 F from one end to the other...is simply the use of the word tropical or sub-tropical...the very word conjures up images of endless warmth...palm trees....and temperatures seldom going under 60 F.  When someone says the climate is sub-tropical...I think of the Gulf Coast cities...New Orleans, Houston, Mobile.  I don't even have a problem throwing Norfolk & Richmond into the mix.   But I can't square the NYC & Long Island area with the designation.  Having moved to Long Island 43 years ago, I can say categorically that calling its climate sub-tropical just doesn't feel right.   

I've always considered Long Island's climate humid & modified continental...with short, moderately cold winters & warm summers...along with equitable year round precipitation distribution. 

Not to belabor this Koppen climate debate; but I think the essential problem I have with it...even assuming we do allow that NYC does manage to sneak into the so called sub tropical zone...and putting aside the broad thermal range this particular category encompasses...someone mentioned close to 40 F from one end to the other...is simply the use of the word tropical or sub-tropical...the very word conjures up images of endless warmth...palm trees....and temperatures seldom going under 60 F.  When someone says the climate is sub-tropical...I think of the Gulf Coast cities...New Orleans, Houston, Mobile.  I don't even have a problem throwing Norfolk & Richmond into the mix.   But I can't square the NYC & Long Island area with the designation.  Having moved to Long Island 43 years ago, I can say categorically that calling its climate sub-tropical just doesn't feel right.   

I've always considered Long Island's climate humid & modified continental...with short, moderately cold winters & warm summers...along with equitable year round precipitation distribution. 

Maybe "quasi-tropical"?  I agree, it is misleading.  But we don't really have a continental climate fully either due to the maritime influence here.

It's all moot really, in 50-75 years NYC probably will actually have a legitimate sub-tropical climate by any measure.

Maybe "quasi-tropical"?  I agree, it is misleading.  But we don't really have a continental climate fully either due to the maritime influence here.

It's all moot really, in 50-75 years NYC probably will actually have a legitimate sub-tropical climate by any measure.

:lol:

JM- what was the deal with that hoax? Used to live on laurelton

I wasn't home when it happened, but it stemmed from a kid having the cops being called on him by a Call of Duty opponent he beat. Caller said he killed his parents and was about to kill more people, so SWAT teams/helicopters/hostage negotiator/whole nine yards was brought in. I think they figured out quickly it was a hoax when the kid's mother came outside. I've been by that house a few times since and no one has been home, they probably skipped town. Dumb prank and the kid should be easy to find unless he called from some kind of untraceable account or in a no-extradition treaty country.

Whoever pulls these ridiculous pranks should be beat down to a pulp, sent to jail for several years, and have to pay a million dollar fine.

The cost was $100K+ from what I heard for the response. A swatter who was caught and convicted was sentenced to 3 years in prison, so if this guy gets caught he's certainly doing some time.

Archived