Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
New England Late August Discussion, banter, obs

Baroclinic Zone

And more snow.

Yeah they did get more snow than Kevin, lol.

But I was amazed at the tree damage in interior E MA where "only" 5-8" of snow fell. It was definitely worse than a lot of ORH. I said this back then, but the funny part about near me, is that the areas that didn't get much in the ice storm had by far the worst damage in the October storm....probably that combo of more foliage, wetter snow, and I think the pruning effect was really big around here. All the vulnerable branches/trees got smoked in the higher areas in '08 but lower down they were left to get nailed another day....that day came last October.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah they did get more snow than Kevin, lol.

But I was amazed at the tree damage in interior E MA where "only" 5-8" of snow fell. It was definitely worse than a lot of ORH. I said this back then, but the funny part about near me, is that the areas that didn't get much in the ice storm had by far the worst damage in the October storm....probably that combo of more foliage, wetter snow, and I think the pruning effect was really big around here. All the vulnerable branches/trees got smoked in the higher areas in '08 but lower down they were left to get nailed another day....that day came last October.

Yeah it didn't take much with so many leaves on the tree. Incredible event.

Yeah it didn't take much with so many leaves on the tree. Incredible event.

I'm reading back through the old threads now...just insane what the models were showing.

It sucks that you got porked in that event. Some of the guidance (including the Euro) was showing you might get a nice 4-5 hour ending to the storm, but it just never really materialized there.

I'm reading back through the old threads now...just insane what the models were showing.

It sucks that you got porked in that event. Some of the guidance (including the Euro) was showing you might get a nice 4-5 hour ending to the storm, but it just never really materialized there.

I knew I was screwed when I saw that CF get stuck just to the north. It then curled down towards Dedham and those areas almost due south of me like Stoughton actually did better..lol. Still, from a met perspective...I was able to appreciate how rare it was. A few days earlier I told my friend Dan to blog about what the euro showed to the traders. He threw up a few euro weenie maps and mentioned it could be a rare interior northeast US snow storm. Funny how even a few days out..we started to have some confidence that something was going to happen...thanks to the euro and ensembles.

I knew I was screwed when I saw that CF get stuck just to the north. It then curled down towards Dedham and those areas almost due south of me like Stoughton actually did better..lol. Still, from a met perspective...I was able to appreciate how rare it was. A few days earlier I told my friend Dan to blog about what the euro showed to the traders. He threw up a few euro weenie maps and mentioned it could be a rare interior northeast US snow storm. Funny how even a few days out..we started to have some confidence that something was going to happen...thanks to the euro and ensembles.

The storm also didn't have that one last nuke in it as it exited stage right....we were hoping that would happen as some guidance showed, but it never really did...it almost redeveloped out to the east instead rather than going nuclear over the Cape like Dec '05 did.

So the "stinger" on the tial of the CCB wasn't much of a stinger afterall.

Haha yeah it starts to get brutal here soon... looking at the ski trails off in the distance out my bedroom window, yearning for that first morning when you can see white up on the hill. Working there and being on the hill quite a bit helps, but all day long I find my brain wandering to thinking about snow. You start to see the ski shops advertising early season sales and stuff like that along the road...advertising tunings and sharpenings, etc. The anticipation in a ski town in the fall is hard to describe.

Hey Freak, how often do the peaks up there get Sept. snow, more than just flakes in the air? (say 1"+)

Only from about Windsor north

I loved my 24" of pure powder--just awesomeness. I remember posting a skew-T for my backyard the day before and Ginx saying "dude, that's snow out of the gate for you". I'll have to find the obs thread to relive the excitment (and pictures) of the insane rates.

I remember going to the dump with just a light whitening. I got to the dump and there's was about an inch on the ground. I remember a girl there was asking me how far it would be for her to drive to Turner's and she wasn't sure if she should go with the snow. I had told her--don't go. This is going to get a whole lost worse before it gets better. I got home from the dump and I was closing in on 3".

Oh--to have a few of those this year would be awsesome (they don't need to be in October)..

The storm also didn't have that one last nuke in it as it exited stage right....we were hoping that would happen as some guidance showed, but it never really did...it almost redeveloped out to the east instead rather than going nuclear over the Cape like Dec '05 did.

So the "stinger" on the tial of the CCB wasn't much of a stinger afterall.

True, not much of a last hurrah. Hopefully we can get an early winter nuke with some of these warmer waters to our south. They probably will last through the season, and you don't need the OHC for these like you do with tropical systems.

True, but up here there were very few storms this summer, and none were strong.

They were not worth the humidity IMHO

I would rather desert like with hot days and cooler nights, like early July

Just give me San Diego wx all summer. I love a good storm as much as anyone, but it's not worth the swamp. 2008 had plenty of tstms...the best year I can ever remember and it was cooler than normal. I'll take that.

I can't believe how cold that storm was. Usually in October snow (which is rare enough anyway) we are screwing around with -1C to -2C 850s and trying to squeeze an inch or two out of it....this was like -8C 850s in the commahead, lol.

Yeah when the models had like -5C at 850 down to New Haven and perfect 700/850 low placement I knew it was time to go beyond historic here in CT

LOL

I miss the winter talk when Will, Scott, and Ryan get into it. Talking about winter storms never gets old but as Blizz said, it may not be very healthy to think snow 365 days per year ;) We have a sickness.

I personally think its less healthy to debate whether the dewpoint is 64F or 68F and how the ASOS dewpoints shouldn't count vs the home station dewpoints than it is to post about historic snowstorms.

But there is absolutely no doubt that we have a sickness. Its why we all gravitated to weather forums in the first place...some of us going back 10 years now.

I personally think its less healthy to debate whether the dewpoint is 64F or 68F and how the ASOS dewpoints shouldn't count vs the home station dewpoints than it is to post about historic snowstorms.

But there is absolutely no doubt that we have a sickness. Its why we all gravitated to weather forums in the first place...some of us going back 10 years now.

Some of us... like me and Jerry and messenger... go back 15+ years!

Hey Freak, how often do the peaks up there get Sept. snow, more than just flakes in the air? (say 1"+)

I honestly am not that sure...I'll have to look through the coop data but we may be due. In my 8 years up here I've never seen it but a couple years back (09-10 I think) we got 2-4" on October 2nd. Ive seen rime in September but not accumulating snow. I've seen pictures of it though so I know it happens.

Snow is first and foremost to me. It's what we specialize in and also the most disruptive weather we have so we all naturally want to understand and find out how the processes work. Sometimes I step back and wonder how a dam flake causes so much enthusiasm....I don't quite know..it's a number of reasons I suppose. It's the same reasons why many people such a Kocin and Uccellini even Moore seem to have a passion for snow.

Yep I would rather just talk snow all year round Haha. I first started posting on WWBB back in high school like 2001-2002 winter so I guess I'm at 10 years...I just remember all the posts about how promising that winter looked then it was a dead ratter. All the Bastardi vodka cold promises that never came...

Yep I would rather just talk snow all year round Haha. I first started posting on WWBB back in high school like 2001-2002 winter so I guess I'm at 10 years...I just remember all the posts about how promising that winter looked then it was a dead ratter. All the Bastardi vodka cold promises that never came...

I was lurking back then...I started by lurking on ne.weather in 2000-2001, then WWB for a couple years before finally posting in 2004-2005 winter. I was too busy drinking in college to post during the 2002-2003 epic winter. But I did lurk a lot during the PDII storm and also before the Christmas storm when I was back home.

I actually had a video from JB saved on my computer for years where he was talking about the monster pattern flip in January 2002 that was going to bring epic cold and break records, lol. I didn't save it because I thought it would bust, I saved it at the time because it was a great discussion....it just never verified, lol.

Refreshing FOUS with compu serve as your dialup provider.

Those were the days :)

How about when the ETA went out to 48 hours....the NGM was still used almost as much as the ETA...and the GFS (called the AVN back then) didn't have off hour runs.

Oh, and the Euro came out once per day (12z run) at about 8pm, lol.

How about when the ETA went out to 48 hours....the NGM was still used almost as much as the ETA...and the GFS (called the AVN back then) didn't have off hour runs.

Oh, and the Euro came out once per day (12z run) at about 8pm, lol.

Refreshing the uwyo website for the Euro lol.

Yeah the NGM was actually worth looking at... the AVN was 72 hours followed by the MRF lol.

Archived