• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

gotta hinge on the post-friday upslope flow for the N VT as the low pulls through. from my basic eye, it looks like things at elevation are promising. the flow looks decent for a duration event as the low pulls out. GFS and Euro show decent flow by saturday. GFS seems to have the low running out, but a decent net gain- hopefully, for some of us. there are a few of us that are really gunning for the elevation snows, while the valleys are an afterthought.

going off topic... gotta say, PF, J Spin and all- remember some of those lows that retrograde in the gulf of Maine/atlantic canada and pinwheel for 5 days of upslope? sometimes, N VT is like Utah.

this vid always gets me going. I was living out west in snow heaven, and I get a friend telling me about VT going off. people can't grasp how northern VT can be the hidden Wasatch of the east. it happened in 2009... and last year for sure with that one event I was lucky enough to experience with 40" of fluff in a couple days.

from 2009, folks-

I believe someone here is want to call it "Vtah". Game on fellas.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting marketing, and a bit funny:

Calling all superstitious skiers and snowboarders! With the end of the Mayan calender scheduled for THIS FRIDAY, 12/21/12, Ragged Mountain is offering a $21 Mayan Midweek Ticket. But hurry! This sale only lasts the next 48-hours. PURCHASE YOUR $21 MIDWEEK TICKET NOW and use it any day midweek, non-holiday through the end of the 2012-2013 season.

mayan_chef.jpgSo while some may look at 12/21/12 as the last day of the Mayan calendar for ever and ever, we here at Ragged Mountain look at it as the OFFICAL START OF WINTER! So be ready for that next powder day by purchasing your Mayan Midweek Ticket now!

Just in case there's a new Mayan calendar starting on the 22nd, we invite you to join Chef Mike in The Pub for a special Mayan-themed menu Saturday evening, 12/22/12. Prices start at $30 per person. Appetizers like Mayan Citris Salad and Cured Salmon start the night. Take your pick of delicious entrees like Achiote Pork, Braised Short Rib Empanadas or Wood-Fired 1/2 Chicken. Traditional Flan with Mayan Hot Chocolate end your evening, and start you off on a great Mayan new year! Check out the whole menu here, and we will see you this weekend.

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE YOUR MAYAN MIDWEEK TICKET NOW!

May the Snow Be With You!

This might be the first time a ski resort has ever uttered these words: We under-reported our snow totals. Patrol took a few runs in Oz and Jordan and called in that we got at least 18" in the Jordan. It's a running joke around here: An inch of snow at South Ridge is always, like, a foot at the Jordan. It's funny because it's true. Today, patrol started dropping ropes all over the place, including Blind Ambition and Flyin' Monkey. The snow is deep and dry and it looks like we'll be dropping even more ropes over the coming days, so stay tuned to the trail status page for updates in Oz and Jordan. For some shots from earlier in the week, check out this video from Monday. Yeah. It's kinda epic over here.

So I'll be heading up to sugarbush on the 28th or 29th and staying through NYE. I'm getting super excited that there will probably be some solid synoptic snow from the 26th-27th and a chance for the storm rolling in around the 30th. Could be timing it out for a pretty amazing stretch of skiing.

It'll be my first trip to sugarbush but I ski just about anything - any favorite runs from some of the regulars? Any good glade runs? (hoping/thinking there'll be a good natural base to hit the trees :) )

21" in the last 6 days above 2,500ft... 13" at 1,500ft during that same time period. 71 trails were open today with 26 miles of terrain...25 trails opened today alone thanks to the new snowfall finally hitting that critical mark where natural snow terrain can open.

Showed up this morning to 3.3" of snow at 5:30am and moderate snow falling...

537693_10151140160847382_826157755_n.jpg

Awesome powder turns were had this morning... what an amazing week of skiing it has been. All mountains have gotten hit... Sunday River, Sugarbush, Stowe and a slew of other resorts with weekly totals of 20-24".

It leads to skiing like this:

155823_10151140158407382_700506869_n.jpg

312506_10151140158437382_1591095311_n.jpg

Winter lives in NNE...

532619_10151140159417382_1061730033_n.jpg

Even when the snow got heavier this afternoon, it was still fun. Nothing like a ton of trails opening and not enough skiers to ski it all... lots and lots of first tracks.

598573_10151140159822382_99198257_n.jpg

Enroute to my 3,000ft measuring board where I've cleared 21" of snow this week with a settled snow depth of 23" now. We had only 5" of snow on the ground before this week, so a nice 18 inch increase in settled base depths. And that's at 2/3rds of the way up the mountain. Probably two feet or more this past week at the top of the lifts and summit (3,600-4,300ft) but I don't measure up there... wouldn't want to pad the stats ;)

IMG_0303_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0300_edited-1.jpg

It rained this afternoon at the base of the mountain and up to at least 3,000ft... however the summit held around 32F with freezing rain and sleet. Either way, the base area lost its luster and the snow fell off the trees... but we still have a solid snowpack down to the base (12" of snow with probably 3" of liquid equivalent from over the past week), so this will freeze tonight and then upslope will fall on top of it. The winter snowpack is finally starting to take shape here in the Greens.

IMG_0305_edited-1.jpg

?? please.

Does anyone know the wind speed that in VT they must close lifts? Doing a bus trip with the gang Sunday to Sugerbush and worried about the lifts. We may divert to Stowe they say.

A big factor is wind direction. You don't want wind blowing across the line. Up or down the line is less bad. So you really need to look at exposures and wind direction as well as speed.

Archived