• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

Based on the BTV AFD this morning, it looks like we have a couple chances for fresh snow this week. The first being on Tuesday night, with lingering upslope snow showers on Wednesday, then maybe a couple inches Thursday from WAA. Back to nickel and dime pattern with no big storms. It is slowly adding up though.

FORECAST PERIOD STARTS WITH A FRONTAL LOW PRESSURE WAVE MOVING NEWD

OUT OF THE OHIO RIVER VALLEY AND ACROSS OUR FORECAST AREA TUESDAY

NIGHT. THIS SYSTEM WILL BRING A PERIOD OF SNOW TO MUCH OF THE

REGION...WITH CURRENT INDICATIONS SHOWING 00-06Z WEDNESDAY AS THE

PERIOD OF MAXIMUM QPF IN BOTH THE 00Z GFS AND ECMWF SOLNS. MAY SEE

SOME ADVISORY CRITERIA SNOWS /3-6"/ WITH THIS SYSTEM...WHICH IS

SIMILAR IN SOME RESPECTS TO THE SYSTEM THAT MOVED THRU THE REGION

THIS PAST FRIDAY. TEMPERATURES ARE SOMEWHAT MARGINAL TO START...AND

A RAIN/SNOW MIX IS POSSIBLE IN THE VALLEY OF CENTRAL/SRN VERMONT

EARLY ON...BUT GENERALLY BECOMING ALL SNOW TOWARD MIDNIGHT TUESDAY

NIGHT. AS THE LOW DEPARTS EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING...MUCH COLDER AIR

MOVES IN ON GUSTY W-NW WINDS OF 15-25 MPH /GUSTS TO 35 MPH POSSIBLE

WEDNESDAY MORNING/. TEMPS 28-32F EARLY TUESDAY NIGHT WILL FALL

SHARPLY WEDNESDAY MORNING AND LIKELY NOT GET OUT OF THE TEENS

WEDNESDAY AFTN AS 1000-500MB THICKNESS VALUES OF 499-505DM ADVECT

ACROSS THE REGION. WITH LOW-LEVEL CAA AND NW FLOW...SOME LINGERING

SNOW SHOWERS ARE LIKELY WEDNESDAY IN THE NRN ADIRONDACKS AND ALONG

THE WRN SLOPES OF THE GREEN MTNS WITH FAVORABLE OROGRAPHIC ASCENT.

HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS OVERHEAD WEDNESDAY NIGHT SETTING UP EXCELLENT

RADIATIONAL COOLING CONDITIONS WITH CALM WINDS AND SOME FRESH

SNOWCOVER. LOOKING FOR LOWS WEDNESDAY NIGHT AROUND ZERO IN THE

CHAMPLAIN VALLEY AND GENERALLY ZERO TO 10 BELOW ELSEWHERE. A

SHORTWAVE TROUGH FOLLOWS QUICKLY BEHIND THE SFC RIDGE WITH

INCREASING CLOUDS FOR THURSDAY WITH A LIGHT WARM FRONTAL SNOWFALL

POSSIBLE THURSDAY AFTN INTO THURSDAY NIGHT. NOT MUCH AVAILABLE

MOISTURE AT THIS POINT...SO SNOW AMTS LIKELY D-2" OR 1-3" RANGE.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, up to -11 now. Long live the torch.

I know folks on this board don't think many people live up here, but the upslope region is actually one of the more populated areas in the state so it has a high impact for anyone driving home between BTV and Montpelier. Its also the most traveled region in the state between BTV and MPV.

Yeah, VT is different from our other NNE brethren in that the weight of population is in the north-central/northwestern part of the state with the snowiest part of the spine very close to our largest city & county, population-wise. The potential for high impact is...well, high.

Well the WWAs in place and had they "heavy snow" in their wording. They upgraded the spine to a WSW at some point I think. Meh, the weather that day was nothing we haven't seen many times before. ;)

WWA were not in greater Burlington area. In fact the WWAs were mostly just on the Green Mountain spine..

In fact point and click forecast was giving BTV, Swanton, Essex, etc all just the chance of 1 inch of accumulation. People were worried about Thursday. Had no clue about the greater Friday threat. That's my only point. It's a tough job. I know.

Moisture died off around 11:30 over the spine enough to see it for the first time in a few days. Jay, N and S Gilpin to the far left

IMG_2744.jpg

VT winter blue skies. I haven't traveled a lot but I swear its unique to us, haha

IMG_2745.jpg

Nice thick rime above 3000'. Domey's Dome off in the distance

IMG_2748.jpg

-2F high up at the pass. sittin on -10F already here at the house. gotta feelin we go past last nights bottom of -14F

edit: I'll add this one too, pretty much a postcard winter day

IMG_2747.jpg

A little after 6:30pm and it's already -8...

WWA were not in greater Burlington area. In fact the WWAs were mostly just on the Green Mountain spine..

In fact point and click forecast was giving BTV, Swanton, Essex, etc all just the chance of 1 inch of accumulation. People were worried about Thursday. Had no clue about the greater Friday threat. That's my only point. It's a tough job. I know.

And points east, ahem. ;)

Anyway, didn't realize that you were talking about Burlington proper. How much did they get over there?

A fairly formidable -11F down here also. Much milder in the barren snowless areas such as ALB where it is only -1.

Pretty brutal this morning. But we are inverted so its a lot colder down here in the village than the summit which is a balmy -4F right now.

-17/-22 at MVL at 4am... maybe we can sneak down a little lower by sun up.

lol at SLK with -24/-30.

I wondered how low we'd go when it was sinking like a stone last night, even at supper time.

Bottomed out at -17F and now up to -16F. P&C has a high of 22F for this particular backyard today. That's going to feel downright tropical and also will be one hell of a rebound.

Our network channels come from NYC, having satellite TV as we do. I just caught a weather report and they were saying something to the effect of "it's cold out there this morning New York, it's in the teens". I'm thinking, yeah, teens below zero, that is. ;)

I'll say that yesterday was the coldest environment I'd been in over a sustained period of time. The quad at stowe yesterday at around 8am was brutal. -15F with prob. 20-30 mph winds. Not good. Much better day for a tour...

Haha same here... that ride up the Quad in the morning was brutal. That was easily one of my most memorable rides on that lift... just curl up in the fetal position and moan. Everytime the wind gusted up it felt like someone was punching you in the stomach, just could barely breath with those chills down in the -40F to -50F range. It was funny to run into you guys and other friends at the Octagon as everyone seemed to have the same idea. Get off the lift and run for cover like your life depended on it.

Even the hardiest of the hardcore locals that are out there every single day from start to finish only took a couple runs and left. Can't blame the tourists for not coming out if its too much for even the seasoned vets.

I'll say that yesterday was the coldest environment I'd been in over a sustained period of time. The quad at stowe yesterday at around 8am was brutal. -15F with prob. 20-30 mph winds. Not good. Much better day for a tour...

Agreed adk – I watched the temperature at the base of Bolton Valley sit around -10 F during much of the morning yesterday, and had no desire to ride the lifts with the boys in those temperatures combined with wind:

15JAN12A.jpg

I was going to head up for a quick powder run on Bolton’s BC Network, but realized that they haven’t started running the Timberline Quad yet (may not be for much longer based on the coverage), so I opted for a sunset tour there instead:

15JAN12D.jpg

15JAN12E.jpg

Temperatures had risen to around 0 F by that point and winds were minimal, but touring was the way to go in my mind. The low here overnight was -15.3 F, certainly the lowest of the season thus far. We’re thinking of heading to Stowe today, so hoping for that nice temperature rebound I see in the forecast.

Min/max/min over the last 36 hrs has been -3.5/8.1/-2.6

The wind remained pesky all night so we never radiated well.

My temps ran almost the same as you -3.3F/7.3F/1.2F

last night a bit warmer up here on the hill. Quickly rising now, up to 8.5F. I am happy to see the bitter cold get out of here.

Archived