• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

3.0" here at LSC..went over and skied Burke all morning and they had 2.0" when I got there at 10AM and there was another 2.0" of fluff when I left at 230PM. Skies just starting to brighten now.

Total amounts for this event and total depth are as follows around here:

Lyndonville (750ft) 2.0" total, 5.0" depth

LSC (1,100ft) 3.0" total, 7.0" depth

Burke Base (1,267ft) 4.0" total, 8.0" depth

Burke Summit (3,267ft) 5.0" total, 15.0" depth

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta love the Co-Op... with the amazing snow growth we saw yesterday and fairly widespread 30-50:1 ratios across the north country (J.Spin and ct at Lyndon State), I had around 2" (maybe a bit more but hard to tell due to how low density it was) at 3,000ft around 2pm. I figured somewhere around 0.05" of water most likely.

Then the Co-Op comes in with 0.08" of liquid (which makes sense to me) and yet only a Trace of new snow. Even 12:1 ratios should have given them an inch. Ahh the joy of using an 8" can to measure snowfall on an exposed summit. My question is where do they get the liquid from... if only a trace of snow, I would've expected a trace of liquid.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

528 PM EST SAT JAN 21 2012

STATION PRECIP TEMPERATURE PRESENT SNOW

24 HRS MAX MIN CUR WEATHER NEW TOTAL SWE

...VERMONT...

MOUNT MANSFIELD 0.08 7 -8 4 PTLY CLOUDY T 37

That's a spicy inversion. With sw winds some sheltered valleys east of the greens are going to hold that cold air. I wonder how big of an inversion we can get.

A co-worker just came in who lives in the lower village and had -16F on his thermometer at his house... our Mtn Ops thermometer has 5.5F right now. We are running around a 20-22F difference over about 800 vertical feet this morning.

Here's MVL at 730ft... -14F last update.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?table=1&banner=off&sid=KMVL

And here's a Stowe base area station at 1,600ft... 6F last update.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KVTSTOWE3

We have seen some whoppers of inversions this season for some reason. Like in November when it was 29F at MVL with snow on the ground, and 55F here at the base with no snow cover.

Gotta love the Co-Op... with the amazing snow growth we saw yesterday and fairly widespread 30-50:1 ratios across the north country (J.Spin and ct at Lyndon State), I had around 2" (maybe a bit more but hard to tell due to how low density it was) at 3,000ft around 2pm. I figured somewhere around 0.05" of water most likely.

Then the Co-Op comes in with 0.08" of liquid (which makes sense to me) and yet only a Trace of new snow. Even 12:1 ratios should have given them an inch. Ahh the joy of using an 8" can to measure snowfall on an exposed summit. My question is where do they get the liquid from... if only a trace of snow, I would've expected a trace of liquid.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

528 PM EST SAT JAN 21 2012

STATION PRECIP TEMPERATURE PRESENT SNOW

24 HRS MAX MIN CUR WEATHER NEW TOTAL SWE

...VERMONT...

MOUNT MANSFIELD 0.08 7 -8 4 PTLY CLOUDY T 37

Yeah st j came in with .04 of SWE and reported 1.6". Good ole 40:1 fluff.

Little chilly in the county this morning..

MAINE

...AROOSTOOK COUNTY...

BIG BLACK -33.0 813 AM 1/22

VAN BUREN 1 NNW -33.0 826 AM 1/22

MASARDIS 1 NNW -30.0 825 AM 1/22

DICKEY -30.0 818 AM 1/22

NINE-MILE BRIDGE 1 S -30.0 827 AM 1/22

ESTCOURT -30.0 824 AM 1/22

CLAYTON LAKE -29.0 817 AM 1/22

OXBOW -29.0 828 AM 1/22

ALLAGASH 1 ENE -29.0 834 AM 1/22

PRESQUE ISLE 1 WNW -26.0 829 AM 1/22

HOULTON 2 E -24.0 822 AM 1/22

LORING -24.0 824 AM 1/22

CARIBOU -23.0 816 AM 1/22

LIMESTONE -22.0 806 AM 1/22

FORT KENT 1 SW -22.0 834 AM 1/22

CONNOR -21.0 807 AM 1/22

PRESQUE ISLE 2 SSE -15.0 807 AM 1/22

EAGLE LAKE -10.0 819 AM 1/22

SAINT AGATHA 3 N -8.0 820 AM 1/22

KNOWLES CORNER -4.0 823 AM 1/22

Balmy low of 4.3F this morning. My 700 feet of elevation above the surrounding countryside does its trick. Plymouth airport about 6 miles north of me was -12F

Haha nice that's the exact same 700ft difference between Stowe village and the base of the ski resort... 700-800ft vs. 1,500-1,600ft. And we had exactly the same temp difference.

And wow... lots of -30F in northern ME... that's some serious cold.

Thanks, Jayhawk... its not hard to take good pictures surrounded by this stuff, haha. I say its an unfair advantage. I was never this good at photography when I lived next to the Hudson River south of Albany, lol. No one wants to see trash floating out of Troy.

And yeah, ADK... already starting to see the upper elevations warm quickly this morning. At 5:30am it was 23F top, 23F base, but here at the base we're now down to 21F and lift maintenance just called in 26F top of Quad.

Summit could punch over 40F later while we trap 30-35F air down here. Thaw will be short lived above 2,000ft though... lower valleys will struggle with another warm day tomorrow before the real push of cold comes in. Maybe an inch or two of upslope tomorrow afternoon on the mtn, too.

I don't think I'll see too much of a response on snow depth levels beyond just the settling of the top layer of fluff. We'll just take another hit in the surface conditions and the woods are going to continue to be variable and punchy. I almost hope we get enough rain and warmth, followed by cold to create a firm, supportable layer in the woods. I hate light rain then freeze that gives you that shin hurting breakable crust.

could get pretty icy out there. Classic pattern to trap low lying cold air in eastern valleys under waa from the southwest.

This next "storm" doesn't look tooooo bad. 36 hours of warm with .25 - .5 of rain.

Jay Peak is optimistic...

"Seasonable temps will swing into the kingdom today carrying a mix bag of goodies; snow to start with a chance of sleet later in the day, eventually turning back to all snow."

Jay Peak is optimistic...

"Seasonable temps will swing into the kingdom today carrying a mix bag of goodies; snow to start with a chance of sleet later in the day, eventually turning back to all snow."

sure...35 and rain COULD be classified as seasonal...i guess. And it will turn all back to snow. Bufkit says a whole 1.8 inches worth of snow. Watch-out.

Strange new patrollers at stowe:

IMG_4067.jpg

sure...35 and rain COULD be classified as seasonal...i guess. And it will turn all back to snow. Bufkit says a whole 1.8 inches worth of snow. Watch-out.

Strange new patrollers at stowe:

Ha! I was just going to post that!

I saw our friend the Moose again this morning about 100 feet off Nosedive. Got a couple photos of him but nothing like yesterday when he was actually wandering around on the trail. Gpetrics must have gotten pretty darn close to him for that shot, but we were just looking over those photos here in the office... awesome stuff.

We've sort of been monitoring his movements as it is a little sketchy to have a big animal like that wandering the resort with all the tourists around. That's why I was out looking for him this morning... very easy to find if you follow the tracks. He's just chillin' right now on the ridge between lower Nosedive and the Hazelton drainage, snacking on pine needles.

Its only the second time I've seen moose on Mansfield... two years ago a buddy and myself skied up on two of them out in Angel Food. Add it to the list of 4 coyotes, 3 bears, and now 3 moose I've seen at the ski area.

Here's Greg's other photo:

IMG_4078.jpg

Cool moose pic! Can understand the caution; might get ugly if the critter stepped out from some snowcovered fir just as a hotshot came barreling around a turn.

A few flakes here in AUG, and glad that some models have cut the rain from 1-1.5" to more like 1/2". Sat night's ideal radiationing conditions (calm, clear, 12" snowpack topped by 1" of 40:1 feathers) brought my coldest morning this season, -24. (A co-worker who lives near the top of Sand Hill in AUG had just -4; not too surprising, given the topographies.) Temp plummeted again last eve, from the max of 20 to right at zero by 9 PM. Then the clouds arrived, and it was about 16 at 7 AM.

Archived