• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
NNE Heart of Winter

Allenson

Sorry I came across as defensive. The questioning of totals is a time-honored board tradition, and I can see why the Scarborough number would appear to be an outlier.

Anyway, it's bulletproof now and I intend to enjoy the snowcover while I do my best to avoid the doom-and-gloom mid/long-range discussion in that other thread......

No prob man, Yeah the talk is very depressing in the mid range, I hope we remain on the right side of the gradient, Looks like we will have to cherish the snow we are going to get.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

actually their website reports 17" over last 7 days with 11" in the last 24hr. But still, how does Mt snow get 11" when Okemo, just down the road only reports 2-4"???

Okemo/Ludlow is on the eastern side of the Greens. They get good snow on a SE flow. Look at a map and it should make sense. Not all resorts are along the Spine.

Plus that Southern VT area has more uplift due to the high average terrain in that area. I definitely believe it. That southern VT area was getting smoked yesterday.

This snowfall in these situations are extremely localized so it can vary greatly over even a mile or two.

Do you (or anyone else in VT/ western NH) ever hear, what I think are military planes flying back and forth overhead? We get it a fair bit here, always when it's cloudy and they roar along overhead, seemingly low, and from north to south, south to north, north to south, and on, anon. We've had several bouts of it lately.

F-16s from Burlington?

Anyway, lovely day. Started at 13F, now 11F, fresh snow, a few breaks appearing and all plowed out. Boom.

all the time, not military though, we are under a flight path for commercial liners it seems, bluebird day you can see 5 or 6 at a time, the funny part was I never noticed until my daughter kept spotting them, realized I needed to spend a little more time just staring at the sky.

don't they (military) run flight training through the whites? rural myth maybe.

good news mreaves. open fields up here still showing corn stubble

3.5" down in Lyndonville... 6" total for the 'event'. Not bad for the Passumpsic Valley, granted I'm at 1,100ft. Looks like 4" for the event down at 800ft. Looks like 6-7" at 1,100ft and 4-5" snow depth at 800ft. Reports from my buddy over at Burke Mtn show about 6" yesterday and 11" total for the event and a depth of about 11" at the base, 14" at the top. Up to 27 trails out of 50. Decent considering 10 trails are unopened glades.... :)

Okemo/Ludlow is on the eastern side of the Greens. They get good snow on a SE flow. Look at a map and it should make sense. Not all resorts are along the Spine.

Plus that Southern VT area has more uplift due to the high average terrain in that area. I definitely believe it. That southern VT area was getting smoked yesterday.

This snowfall in these situations are extremely localized so it can vary greatly over even a mile or two.

cool, thanks for the explanation.

all the time, not military though, we are under a flight path for commercial liners it seems, bluebird day you can see 5 or 6 at a time, the funny part was I never noticed until my daughter kept spotting them, realized I needed to spend a little more time just staring at the sky.

don't they (military) run flight training through the whites? rural myth maybe.

Yeah, I see the trans-Atlantic flights all the time going back & forth to/from Europe. The ones I'm talking about fly real low, north-south and back again, over and over. They are a little to our east often, so maybe they're over the Whites.

Yeah, I see the trans-Atlantic flights all the time going back & forth to/from Europe. The ones I'm talking about fly real low, north-south and back again, over and over. They are a little to our east often, so maybe they're over the Whites.

Vermont air national guard. They fly over my house all the time and sometimes very low. They also practice helicopter landings nearby in the summer...

We are in the southwest corner of Yankee 1 and 2, which is a designated area for the military to train. A lot of the time it will be the 16's from Burlington, but also will be F-15's and A-10's from Mass Guard, and probably other units as well. Also the refuelers from Pease do training runs, although they look more like commercial airliners. I have seen on several occassions at night seeing the refuelers actually refuleing. As you you can see two planes right next to each other, pretty cool looking. Before moving up here I worked for and also was in MA Air Guard for the 102nd Fighter Wing. Our F-15's would fly up here quite often. Generally they would come up this way when conditions out over the ocean weren't good for flights.

I have inlcuded this link of some air charts and you can see the Yankee 1 and 2 areas.

http://skyvector.com...chart=15&zoom=3

today was fun. going to be COLD tonight here in stowe. Thinking -10f. KSLK will hit -20s

You guys must've gotten some ridiculous pictures... knowing how good GP is at catching someone going deep in this type of snow.

Best day of the season so far... no doubt about it and I've skied 'em all, lol.

Event totals: 11.7” Snow/0.91” L.E.

We picked up another tenth of an inch of snow today at our location, to finish off the event at 11.7”, and bring the season snowfall to 54.0”. The temperature was around 10 F at the house (495’) mid morning, and we headed up to Bolton Valley where the temperature in the village (2,100’) was 3 F. That’s pretty chilly, but fortunately there was minimal wind and it was at least manageable – we’d brought hand and boot warmer packets for the boys, and they decided that they needed fire them up after their first run. The new snow was nice; there were some effects of the wind in that we saw some drifting, but the winds couldn’t have been that bad because we only encountered minimal wind slab around on the powder. I noticed that the Mt. Mansfield Stake was up to 34” today; that looks to be about 8” below average, but the snowpack is at least getting there thanks to this last event. Up at Bolton I was able to get a reading on the snowpack in a protected spot in the Villager Trees, and it was at 30 inches:

14JAN12F.jpg

Some details from the 2:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 12.4 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 11.0 inches

I’ve added the storm totals for the Vermont ski areas that I’ve seen update so far below; I’ll update these later when resorts report/revise:

Now that the rest of the Vermont ski areas have reported in, I’ve updated the storm totals below. I checked all the resort websites for their numbers and comments, although for some places that don’t really supply the 48-hour numbers, I had to go with the Ski Vermont numbers. Jay Peak must have reassessed their measurement because it went up a few inches and is close to the two foot mark:

Jay Peak: 23”

Burke: 12”

Smuggler’s Notch: 15”

Stowe: 18”

Bolton Valley: 15”

Mad River Glen: 16”

Sugarbush: 18”

Middlebury: 13”

Suicide Six: 8”

Pico: 14”

Killington: 14”

Okemo: 8”

Bromley: 10”

Magic Mountain: 12”

Stratton: 12”

Mount Snow: 11”

Chris M is there and concurs a foot down

from JSPIN

Jay Peak: 19”Smuggler’s Notch: 15”Stowe: 18”Bolton Valley: 15”Mad River Glen: 16”Sugarbush: 16”Pico: 14”Killington: 14”Mount Snow: 17”

For Mount Snow, I based the number on that text below their snow report table – it seemed like that was the storm total the way they wrote it:

14JAN12G.jpg

10" overnight, 12" last 24 hours at 1,500ft

12" overnight, 14" last 24 hours at 3,000ft

It looks like those are your SSE & SSW Smuggler’s Notch data in the storm totals PF – really cool to have data coming out of those mountain areas, you can see how they stand out among a lot of the data. I added in the storm totals map and table for below for archiving in the thread:

14JAN12A.jpg

14JAN12B.jpg

It looks like those are your SSE & SSW Smuggler’s Notch data in the storm totals PF – really cool to have data coming out of those mountain areas, you can see how they stand out among a lot of the data. I added in the storm totals map and table for below for archiving in the thread:

14JAN12A.jpg

Yep, those were my reports. The NWS guys said they really like having the 3,000ft snow board readings because their program can then extrapolate those to other high elevation areas around here. In the past the only high elevation reports they have had were from the Mansfield co-op which is known to be low because of collection method.

For example, the Co-Op recorded 7" of snow for this event, and that sounds about right for them as I've noticed this season that my snow board seems to collect around twice as much snow as their 8-inch rain gauge. And there's no way that only 7" fell up there in the maximum upslope region at 3,000ft+ on the Spine. If you skied up here you would have encountered snow significantly deeper than 7".

At 2:30pm-ish on Friday I cleared 3.5" off the 3,000ft snow board from some heavy squalls that moved through that afternoon with the cold front (there was nothing on the board at 9am), then by the time I was able to get up there again on Saturday morning another 11" had fallen for a 24 hour total of 14.5".

C-c-c-cold out there this morning. -14F currently and for the low. Glad I don't have to start the rig anytime soon this morning.

We are in the southwest corner of Yankee 1 and 2, which is a designated area for the military to train. A lot of the time it will be the 16's from Burlington, but also will be F-15's and A-10's from Mass Guard, and probably other units as well. Also the refuelers from Pease do training runs, although they look more like commercial airliners. I have seen on several occassions at night seeing the refuelers actually refuleing. As you you can see two planes right next to each other, pretty cool looking. Before moving up here I worked for and also was in MA Air Guard for the 102nd Fighter Wing. Our F-15's would fly up here quite often. Generally they would come up this way when conditions out over the ocean weren't good for flights.

I have inlcuded this link of some air charts and you can see the Yankee 1 and 2 areas.

http://skyvector.com...chart=15&zoom=3

Thanks for info man. Good stuff. I wondered about A-10s as they seem to be flying low and slow when they go over here. Tractors in the sky. ;)

My father worked at Pease for years when I was a kid--hence my Seacoast NH connections (plus my mother's family is from that area). We took the KC-135s to Europe and back a few times when I was in junior high/high school. I loved laying down in the "boom-pod", which they let us do, and watch the landscape roll along beneath us. I have a vivid memory of coming back from Europe and watching the Canadian Maritimes unfold below us as we approached NH.

Yep, those were my reports.  The NWS guys said they really like having the 3,000ft snow board readings because their program can then extrapolate those to other high elevation areas around here.  In the past the only high elevation reports they have had were from the Mansfield co-op which is known to be low because of collection method.

nice bro Pete REPETE this week?

Well the WWAs in place and had they "heavy snow" in their wording. They upgraded the spine to a WSW at some point I think. Meh, the weather that day was nothing we haven't seen many times before. ;)

Yeah, agreed. I heard a lot of folks saying where did this come from, the weather man never said anything about it. But yet I watched Tom M. on Channel 5 on Thursday night and Friday morning, and he kept saying snow showers in the Champlain Valley with some locally heavy and significant snows in the Green Mountain spine communities as well as the eastern Burlington suburbs/western slopes.

The timing of it was just horrific though and made it much worse as it was commute time on Friday evening before a long weekend, and it was ripping 1-3"/hr from BTV towards Montpelier on I-89 and all the west/east slope communities around the Spine. I know folks on this board don't think many people live up here, but the upslope region is actually one of the more populated areas in the state so it has a high impact for anyone driving home between BTV and Montpelier. Its also the most traveled region in the state between BTV and MPV.

Then there are always the wildcards in these events that you never actually know how it will shake out... how far upstream (west) will the heavy snow get (ie does it get into BTV proper, or does it more stay confined to the actual spine). Even BTV had a few hours of 1"/hr with 4" total from that burst on Friday evening, and when that happens, you know its ripping out towards Williston, Richmond, Waterbury, Hinesburgh, Huntington, Underhill, Essex, Jerhico, and then the RT 100 corridor too from Morrisville, Stowe, Waterbury Center, Waitsfield, Warren, etc.

J.Spin who lives right next to I-89 recorded 2.8" in one hour so that makes highway travel pretty darn tough with those rates and NW winds, too. That's pretty gnarly driving conditions for a Friday evening commute home or vacationers coming up for the long weekend. There was a lot of folks in Stowe that didn't check into their hotels until midnight or later because of the snow.

Archived