12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 25/26 Storm Threat...(Part 3)

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am just going to post this, as I did in the banter thread, to show everyone what a local CLT met (who I believe is one of the best in our region) is currently thinking about the latest models. Via Brad Panovich of WCNC:

"Models, currently underestimating the arctic air mass & taking a low track inland that doesn't makes sense synoptically or climatologicaly"

"the thing you have to remember about numerical wx models, they aren't forecasts, they are guidance. None had 6" of snow on the coast today"

I don't even have much hope here in the northwestern tip of SC. No model is giving any snow here with the exception maybe a backside dusting at the end. We always have a tough time scouring out low level cold air here and I can tell you from experience that with what's being progged now, nobody in my area has a chance at a decent snowfall. I'm really not sure what the GSP office is seeing that makes them think we could get accumulating snow. I may take a ride up to the mountains on Tuesday afternoon if things pan out there.

Trust me.......they are seeing the same model runs that we are seeing. The biggest difference is.....They don't model hug. They wait for a clear trend in all the models before moving in that direction. It could just as easily trend back in the direction of a colder more wrapped up solution on tonight's runs and they would have to jump back to a snowier forecast. If tonight's runs are similar to today's runs, then you will see a warmer forecast with the morning package.

The 18z Ukmet looks better to me. It only goes out to 72hrs so we have to guess from here.

The low will probably track a little farther inland, but it looks to me like the 5h trough stands a good chance at closing off on this run when compared to the 18z NAM/GFS which never closed off.

So that's a good sign that at least some people might still be in the game outside of the mountains.

post-309-0-27304500-1295736454.gif

Trust me.......they are seeing the same model runs that we are seeing. The biggest difference is.....They don't model hug. They wait for a clear trend in all the models before moving in that direction. It could just as easily trend back in the direction of a colder more wrapped up solution on tonight's runs and they would have to jump back to a snowier forecast. If tonight's runs are similar to today's runs, then you will see a warmer forecast with the morning package.

Yeah call them and talk to them, they would think that everyone who is jumping to conclusions from run to run is nuts, but nevertheless..:popcorn:

you guys are something. Already writing this thing off and using soundings as if they're factual at this point. The pattern is a good one for a big, wet snow for some areas north of the low track generally somewhere from Al/Tn border, east northeast from there , but its too early to fine tune that track yet. I'm still impressed with the height falls that begin just before the precip arrives in Ga and the Carolinas, they're pretty low, so even without a parent high, evap. cooling and dynamic cooling can work wonders esp. with any elevation at all, around 85 corridor and west.

you guys are something. Already writing this thing off and using soundings as if they're factual at this point. The pattern is a good one for a big, wet snow for some areas north of the low track generally somewhere from Al/Tn border, east northeast from there , but its too early to fine tune that track yet. I'm still impressed with the height falls that begin just before the precip arrives in Ga and the Carolinas, they're pretty low, so even without a parent high, evap. cooling and dynamic cooling can work wonders esp. with any elevation at all, around 85 corridor and west.

Words of wisdom, stop the diving!

this will get deleted but to deny that many here cliff dive in a matter of minutes and storms change from huge to nothing based on one model run is to deny reality.

nobody knows what is going to happen but many here claim they do.

The opposite is also true my friend.

Thank you for the reality check...I've been gone all day and just got a chance to catch up. If the 0z model suite shows the same general thing, we'll probably have mass suicides overnight statewide. lol

Yeah call them and talk to them, they would think that everyone who is jumping to conclusions from run to run is nuts, but nevertheless..:popcorn:

Oh I thought that was kinda like cliff Jumping... Me I'm kinda like your man with the drink and the popcorn, Waiting till it's time to now cast.. then see what and where we have to go to work!!!!:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: But I'm hoping for this to be able to happen..:snowman: :snowman: :snowman: :snowman: :snowman: :snowman:

lol exactly. Yesterday when the GFS was showing NOTHING There wasn't anyone cliff jumping but now that the GFS has jumped on board and just shows slightly warmer temps everyone is ready to write it off? Come on!! We still got a day of more changes.

This is MID JAN. again if we are on the border I'll ALWAYS take those chances.

The best things the models can do for central NC is tell us there is potential. No one really knows what will happen until it happens. There have been plenty of times we were supposed to get snow and didn't. But there have been just as many times we were not supposed to get snow and did. This is probably the hardest area in the country when it comes to forecasting snow.

latest GFS run, in addition to several others today I've noticed a HP center popping up over SE Canada. You can see a weak northernly flow into the CAD areas. A possibility this could trend stronger against the main HP out to sea?

I also noticed this! Another thing to remember is that usually systems this year have been FASTER then earlier progged by the models.

Hope your feeling BETTER Robert...

The best things the models can do for central NC is tell us there is potential. No one really knows what will happen until it happens. There have been plenty of times we were supposed to get snow and didn't. But there have been just as many times we were not supposed to get snow and did. This is probably the hardest area in the country when it comes to forecasting snow.

Very true. We are all probably going to have to wait out to "Nowcasting" on Tuesday, because the models aren't going to give us any consistency, because when you think you got something for 3 runs straight, it pulls back. :rolleyes:

Alot of this needs to go in the banter thread. We are starting to get cluttered up in here. With that being said remember a few things. Try not to model hug so much. We are 3 days away from this event there are gonna be more changes good and bad for everyone. I am certianly not an expert or even skilled in weather prediction but, one thing I can say is there has been a trend this winter with the models to delay the start of precip. with these bigger systems. I relize they are all different but it happened here with the christmas storm & the Jan. storm by at least 6 hrs or more. It's not looking good for some areas but hold on for a little longer and see what happens.

For once I 100% endorse a Brick statement and a wise statement at that. blink.gif

Alot of this needs to go in the banter thread. We are starting to get cluttered up in here. With that being said remember a few things. Try not to model hug so much. We are 3 days away from this event there are gonna be more changes good and bad for everyone. I am certianly not an expert or even skilled in weather prediction but, one thing I can say is there has been a trend this winter with the models to delay the start of precip. with these bigger systems. I relize they are all different but it happened here with the christmas storm & the Jan. storm by at least 6 hrs or more. It's not looking good for some areas but hold on for a little longer and see what happens.

OK Don, Going back to my corner and learn...

lol exactly. Yesterday when the GFS was showing NOTHING There wasn't anyone cliff jumping but now that the GFS has jumped on board and just shows slightly warmer temps everyone is read to write it off? Come on!! We still got a day of more changes.

This is MID JAN. again if we are on the border I'll ALWAYS take those chances.

I've been hoping that the models will trend in the colder/wetter direction. I still hope so. But the set up to me doesn't seem that favorable really (historically speaking). But again, I'm hoping for the best. Plus, I thought the GGEM/GFS/UKMET were all verbatim too warm for snow now for the 85 corridor. It seems like the trend by good models was warmer overall. Am I wrong on that?

I've been hoping that the models will trend in the colder/wetter direction. I still hope so. But the set up to me doesn't seem that favorable really (historically speaking). But again, I'm hoping for the best. Plus, I thought the GGEM/GFS/UKMET were all verbatim too warm for snow now for the 85 corridor. It seems like the trend by good models was warmer overall. Am I wrong on that?

Im skeptical because trends trend back and forth. It will be warm today, and colder tomorrow. Thats how this game works.

Archived