• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pattern Changing: Early December threats?

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In essence what this means is no real pattern change. Warm days a couple cold then warm again. We should have known this would happen given the strong nina. We all fell for this wintry pattern and got sucked in

That was all of you.

BDL up to 60. Should be at least +8 today

Tomorrow looks like +12

is it fair to say that nzucker's thoughts on this pattern may be more on the mark than previously thought ?

we'll know a lot more in about 3 weeks time when we can actually look back at the last week of november and the first 10 days or so of december.

as long as those positive anomalies remain in place up around 60/60 i'll take my chances with the pattern being better for this neck of the woods. now, for his area, not so much. and that's kind of been the thinking all along that with the pacific set-up the way it is, it could be tough despite the favorable NAO pattern - especially further SW/W.

it could certainly turn out crappy. i don't know that anyone has denied that idea from the get-go.

it's impossible to say with any certainty how any one event turns out. we could end up -2 for the next 3 weeks and get no snow at all...or we could end up +1 or +2 and have a couple of systems work in our favor. who knows.

Sorry I was on my BB and it's hard to type fast w/o making mistakes. Phil knows.

I am not getting sucked into this false thinking of sustained cold coming Nov 26-Dec10th.. It's not happening in sustained fashion. I'm not jumping off a bridge..but there's too many bad things we're seeing modelwise..I suspect we'll see the Euro ensembles follow suit today with a back and forth pattern.

Just becasue i bail doesn't mean I'll be right..hopefully I'm wrong..if you don't want me as Rev anymore fine...but we've seen this happen too many times in past ninas.

Sorry I was on my BB and it's hard to type fast w/o making mistakes. Phil knows.

I am not getting sucked into this false thinking of sustained cold coming Nov 26-Dec10th.. It's not happening in sustained fashion. I'm not jumping off a bridge..but there's too many bad things we're seeing modelwise..I suspect we'll see the Euro ensembles follow suit today with a back and forth pattern.

Just becasue i bail doesn't mean I'll be right..hopefully I'm wrong..if you don't want me as Rev anymore fine...but we've seen this happen too many times in past ninas.

Caution FTW.

You are def changing your tone too. I can tell you are worried and now think maybe this period isn't promising like you once did

I kept saying over a week ago that we are not guaranteed snow. I admit, that next week surprised me a bit, but there have been and continues to be hints that storms may not be as cold as we want. That doesn't mean we can't get a doozy. Right now, I think everything is on the table, and we could have our share of crappy outcomes in the next 2 weeks, but that doesn't mean much this far out, and certainly not a given. As quick as things have turned warmer, we could all of the sudden have a monster on our hands 5 days out. The pattern is that volatile. If people would just listen to us lay all the details down and not get their hopes up on a d13 prog, it will lessen any heartbreak.

Just remember what time of year it is.

I kept saying over a week ago that we are not guaranteed snow. I admit, that next week surprised me a bit, but there have been and continues to be hints that storms may not be as cold as we want. That doesn't mean we can't get a doozy. Right now, I think everything is on the table, and we could have our share of crappy outcomes in the next 2 weeks, but that doesn't mean much this far out, and certainly not a given. As quick as things have turned warmer, we could all of the sudden have a monster on our hands 5 days out. The pattern is that volatile. If people would just listen to us lay all the details down and not get their hopes up on a d13 prog, it will lessen any heartbreak.

The problem with that is that the Dec period is supoposed to be our coldest and snowiest time this winter..which is why we needed to maximize the potential..not see 2 cold days then a cutter and torch then cold then warm ..

i think it still looks... in general... like a below normal pattern. Nothing's really changed.

Kevin I posted yesterday that even with a good pattern nothing is guaranteed. 2 weeks of shi*ty outcomes during a great pattern is going to be heartbreaking when we get to some truly awful patterns in jan and feb.

The problem with that is that the Dec period is supoposed to be our coldest and snowiest time this winter..which is why we needed to maximize the potential..not see 2 cold days then a cutter and torch then cold then warm ..

Who says it has to be right? Who says we can't have a 2-3 week stretch here and there of snowy weather? We just don't know for sure. This is somewhat unchartered territory right now.

i think it still looks... in general... like a below normal pattern. Nothing's really changed.

Kevin I posted yesterday that even with a good pattern nothing is guaranteed. 2 weeks of shi*ty outcomes during a great pattern is going to be heartbreaking when we get to some truly awful patterns in jan and feb.

Yeah I agree. We can't always have a classic pattern, but with that block...it gives us a shot. It's not a bad pattern, but we just don't know the outcome.

The EC ensembles do place the block farther south as compared to 00z. As a result, it does result in a better pattern for miller-b's and this is shown on the mass fields. The other thing to watch is the GOA. There have been fluctuations back and forth with the troughing there as well. Overall still an interesting pattern, if you have your emotions in check.

I never though that it would be....coldest is debatable, but I do not think that it will be the snowiest at all.

Up to 41.0/40 here. Sky's lightening to the SW. Probably just because the sun's setting over there. Visibility still about 300'. Is everyone socked in? I'm surprsied BOX doesn't have any statements out about it.

Want to talk about dense fog... I just got back from a couple hours up at the ski resort base (getting prepared for Wednesday's opening!) and wow was there some dense fog from time to time there at 1,600ft. 1-2" of snow still on the ground from the other day coupled with a heavy batch of 36F rain and you get pea soup fog... nothing like rain watering down a coating of snow to get you in the mood for winter...ahh great November day, lol.

Yeah, its going to pain some people but Zucker's locked and loaded on this one.

Why, because the latest pendulum swing of deterministic soloutions looks a little less favorable.....can we wait for another 10-14 days before declaring folks right and wrong; christ.

Now if the day 10 EURO depicts a HECS tonight, he's wrong again.

perhaps but with all the swings back and forth .....lets hold out for tonite's euro and preferrably tommorrows to confirm anything.

highly changeable on models

Oh I know... and while its too early to tell for sure (Phil is right, this is all speculation and it won't be till Dec 10 when we can really look back and analyze what happened), but there has certainly been a shifting in the past 48 hours of model runs that makes sustained cold unlikely. Sure some runs are still cold, but a few days ago it was pretty much every model run that had a very cold late Nov/early Dec signal. Now its like 25-50% of model runs showing it.

So it still could happen but there are signs as of late that are a little disturbing.

perhaps but with all the swings back and forth .....lets hold out for tonite's euro and preferrably tommorrows to confirm anything.

highly changeable on models

I also have a hard time using a 10 day prog on a deterministic model to forecast a pattern. Sure, it could be right, but 9.5 out of 10 times, ensembles will have a better outlook on the general features, past d7. I do find that if op models start showing wild swings after locking in to an overall stable pattern for days...it could be a sign that the pattern is changing. This isn't a reference to our current situation, just throwing it out there.

Why, because the latest pendulum swing of deterministic soloutions looks a little less favorable.....can we wait for another 10-14 days before declaring folks right and wrong; christ.

Now if the day 10 EURO dispects a HECS tonight, he's wrong again.

You are totally right... we don't know (see my last post above)... but there has been a movement in the models towards a warmer/less snowy period coming up.

I'm not completely jumping ship but what was showing up on almost 100% of model runs (EURO/GFS) is now showing up on 25-50% of them. So sure, it can still happen but I don't like seeing the probabilities decrease as we get closer to the time in question.

Archived