• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Pattern Changing: Early December threats?

ORH_wxman

Well I'm a bit puzzled at this because its not like there wasn't good agreement about the NAO block...they are moving it all over the place now when just a day or two ago they had fantastic agreement on the stout block that would be tough to dislodge.

At any rate, this "new" look on the 18z GFS would be fine by me. A big PV in SE Canada to supply some cold air with an active jet to the south.

Yeah, the GFS and Euro were pretty consistent with the strong DS ridging. The question each run came to the 50/50 low. And like I had suggested before, it's a domino effect. The runs that looked good with the first storm, looked good for the rest of the run, because then that first wave would move into the 50/50 position for the next storm and so on, but if the first wave breaks early over the Great Lakes, we get vortex genesis over central Canada, and no 50/50 low, and then we end up a bunch of lakes cutters.

Both scenarios occur with strong DS ridging. Then the differences arise with how the block breaks down. The lakes cutter scenario seems to favor gradually knocking down the block to the point of a North Atlantic ridge (like the latest GFS and Euro). The other scenario involves retrogression of the block, which the ultimate fate is uncertain, but would definitely raise the NAO as the ridging slides west of Baffin Island.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah and this is the problem..it's all due to the fast PAC flow ..it's got warning signs written all over it

I agree PAC flow is possibly causing some problems. It's possible models aren't respecting that enough, and keying too much on the block to the ne. We've seen that before. I think that's just one piece of the puzzle though.

:arrowhead::thumbsup:

Yeah, the GFS and Euro were pretty consistent with the strong DS ridging. The question each run came to the 50/50 low. And like I had suggested before, it's a domino effect. The runs that looked good with the first storm, looked good for the rest of the run, because then that first wave would move into the 50/50 position for the next storm and so on, but if the first wave breaks early over the Great Lakes, we get vortex genesis over central Canada, and no 50/50 low, and then we end up a bunch of lakes cutters.

Both scenarios occur with strong DS ridging. Then the differences arise with how the block breaks down. The lakes cutter scenario seems to favor gradually knocking down the block to the point of a North Atlantic ridge (like the latest GFS and Euro). The other scenario involves retrogression of the block, which the ultimate fate is uncertain, but would definitely raise the NAO as the ridging slides west of Baffin Island.

Yeah we don't have much wiggle room, when the trough out west wants to dig into the high Plains. Any shift ne of that block opens the door for a more westerly solution. I think this is more likely to occur earlier in the season when cold is not as entrenched and we have an active pattern with lots of shortwaves embedded in the flow.

thats true ginx, however this year with a dominant -nao starting last winter has only brough new england a suck feb and march and an epic torch all year long, so should be used with caution.

I will take my chances last year was a total fluke filled with elephant sh I t , point me out another year with record low ao nao that failed to produce. Put last year away.

My balls are dangling on your chin right now..and I put my thoughts out there.

It's not over..it's likely just not looking as good as we thought. It's called dealing with reality

So testy.(again NPI) Your reality is highly dependant on the lastest model output. Ever notice how Scott and Will never get too high or too low wrt to what the models show. A measured approach is the winning formula. Good times are just ahead. I thought you were the Rev Kev of the Chuch of Latter Day weenies. Why spread anguish amongst your congregation?

Totally agree!

Everyone gets so worked up and looks too much into the NAO. It's great for us to have a -NAO but chances are it's not going to win out over a crappy Pacific, especially when the signals in the Pacific are real strong. The only way the -NAO will help out is if it's very strong and setup more east-based.

With the way the Pacific is right now it's going to be very hard for us to overcome it plus we have the fact that the Nina will be strengthening over the upcoming weeks.

Has anybody looked at the 200/300 levels in the Pac over the 5-15 day period?

I will take my chances last year was atonal fluke filled with elephant sh I t , point me out another year with record low ao nao that failed to produce. Put last year away.

I would love to.

Not yet.

Atmosphere needs to show me something(happening)not just modeled ten days out.

Who cares about getting an Arctic outbreak in here really...it's like like we absolutely need that to get some good snows, we just need to get a pattern in place where there isn't much of a zonal flow and we can get more of a trough along the east coast. As long as the pattern is more zonal with the look of the Pacific mild air is just going to flood into the US. The only thing that will help to try and get somewhat of a trough to occur is if/when the NAO tanks negative and creates a nice battle ground.

Wow, what a total meltdown (npi) from Kevin. What's it gonna be Kev, cold snowy Winter or warm 2007ish type Winter, put your b*lls out like you ask others to do. Of course, I am unwavering in my thinking that in the final analysis this Winter will be a good snowy one. I bet Ginx and Jerry aren't running around like their hair is on fire screaming "It's over!! We're doomed!!".

For some of us I would bet on warmish type winter, might see more thunder in winter than summer ala 06-07 :thumbsup:

The good news is it's still a little early and hopefully things can change as we head into December but I don't think this is a year where things become better as we go along. If the Nina does continue to strengthen over the next few weeks, which it looks like it may it's just going to continue to make the PNA tank negative and the Euro has been really insisting that we see a raging +EPO...these are not good things.

If you are expecting an arctic outbreak with multiple snowstorms good luck, climo man climo.

you have a fantastic ability to put words in mouths...........LOL I never said anything of the like. In fact im expecting a pretty blah winter, especially for those along the coastal plain, however ski country should do pretty darn well.

The euro is kind of starting to scare me for the long-range. It just does not want to give us anything good to work with, develops such a deep trough in the west and builds a major ridge out here in the east. Hopefully the GFS is onto something but the track record of the euro in the past has been so good and we really don't know how the recent upgrades to the GFS will factor into how it does in the winter months.

Given how the models are handling the NAO/PNA/EPO in the long-range we'll just have to wait and see really.

DT FTW this thread FTL

Archived