wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The January 25/26 Storm (Part 2)

Wow

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the guys at MRX don't seem impressed for East Tennessee at this point....maybe they're just waiting....:whistle:

LONG TERM (SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY)...AREA OF LOW PRESSURE

TRACKS INTO THE AREA ON MONDAY...WITH GOOD LIFT AND MOISTURE WITH

THE FEATURE...WILL CONTINUE CHANCE POPS FOR MONDAY. ANOTHER AREA OF

LOW PRESSURE TRACKS THROUGH THE REGION ON TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY.

WILL CONTINUE THE CHANCE POPS FOR BOTH TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY. BASED

ON TEMPERATURES...RAIN SHOULD CHANGE TO SNOW ON BOTH MONDAY NIGHT

AND TUESDAY NIGHT. FAIRLY WARM ON MONDAY NIGHT SO THE BEST CHANCE

FOR SNOW ACCUMULATIONS SHOULD BE ON TUESDAY NIGHT. UPPER TROUGH

ENTERING THE REGION THURSDAY SO WILL KEEP LOW CHANCE POPS FOR

THURSDAY. MOISTURE LINGERS INTO FRIDAY...BUT WILL KEEP FRIDAY DRY

FOR NOW. MEX GUIDANCE ON THE HIGHER SIDE...STAYED NEAR HPC GUIDANCE

FOR TEMPERATURES.

Great post. Clearly, the UKMet should garner more attention around here.

The problem with the UKMET is that very few have access to more than just 500mb and surface charts- more detailed stuff is eidently even more expensive than the Euro- my employer pays for the Euro stuff but not the Ukie.

Phil, I didn't realize how well the JMA verified in the day three range. Maybe it's coastal hugger shouldn't be laughed off, then.

Yea I was kinda stunned that the JMA preformed pretty well over the last month. Too bad they don't have its scores out in the day 5 range... would be interesting to see if its still beating the GFS overall.

For more stats... you gotta check out this site, really great resource for model error Z-scores and other scores if you are a statistical nerd like myself popcorn.gif

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/

I'm a little worried about the NWS RAH staff over there. Must be the flu meds. It's going around this winter. :snowman:

I agree...I'm a little shocked to be honest. I don't ever remember RAH being this bullish. I've seen them a lot more conservative in situations I thought were a slam dunk. Maybe they see something I don't, besides they are the professionals and usually very good. I'm just seeing rain for the RDU area so far.

The problem with the UKMET is that very few have access to more than just 500mb and surface charts- more detailed stuff is eidently even more expensive than the Euro- my employer pays for the Euro stuff but not the Ukie.

Yep, once we get within 72 hours, I do see 700mb Omega and 250/300mb maps (as well as 500mb/Sfc) of the UKMet on Dacula's page, which links to RaleighWx

'General' rule is 1 inch of QPF (liquid) equates to 10 inches of snow. It's never going to be that exact. Snow ratios depend on how cold the storm is overall. Also, ground temps and daytime vs. nightime snow affect accumulations. Keep in mind that map shows total QPF for the storm, but not all of that will be snow for many locations.

Thank you!

Phil, you post some excellent research, man.

Saw your model tracks graphic last evening as well. I mean, if folks are going to model hug, know to hug what works best & when, right? :weight_lift:

Haha... sometimes its fun to analyze a model to death just because you know the solution is extreme and its fun to describe the features. However, I think looking the ECWMF and the GFS ensembles last night... the shift of the 00z gfs to a huge winter storm was no fluke, since all of the operational models jumped on board, plus the spread in the 00z gfs ensemble guidance was significantly reduced in comparison to the 12z run. Its really more of a matter of how far west is this thing going to be when the trough amplifies and cuts off now, rather than having to guess if there will be a system... so we have made some progress. The features will be tough to nail down though of course until the event is on our doorstep.

Did anyone see brad panovich's video update? If not, here it is:

Wow nice video! I especially like the 6 hour precipitation and thickness plots he showed from the ECWMF (since most of the regular folks don't have access to that). gun_bandana.gif

GFS to 72- not good at all, from what I can see it is going to dig the short wave from Canada even farther east than the previous run, thus moving either farther away from the Euro. I hate it when the models do this.....

But it is the Goofus and it hasn't been that good lately. Thanks Phil for that research!

Yea I was kinda stunned that the JMA preformed pretty well over the last month. Too bad they don't have its scores out in the day 5 range... would be interesting to see if its still beating the GFS overall.

For more stats... you gotta check out this site, really great resource for model error Z-scores and other scores if you are a statistical nerd like myself popcorn.gif

http://www.emc.ncep....gmb/STATS_vsdb/

Thanks for the link! :)

GFS looks about the same as its 12z maybe further east, its overall setup is similar. Its high pressure looks way too weak over New England, and this allows the more easterly movement. All other models have a stronger high. Also, it also has the strong 960mb storm in Eastern Canada, so its solution is too far east too quickly.

GFS looks about the same as its 12z maybe further east, its overall setup is similar. Its high pressure looks way too weak over New England, and this allows the more easterly movement. All other models have a stronger high. Also, it also has the strong 960mb storm in Eastern Canada, so its solution is too far east too quickly.

Is it a valid option or should it be ignored? Or are we looking at some kind of hybrid between the euro and GFS?

Yea the GFS has been by far the most inconstant model today... but I think I have found the reason why the GFS is way more progressive with the system than the rest of the models. It seems that alot of this lack of amplification has to due with a kicker shortwave that is right on the heels of the first shortwave that moves into the United States. The 18z run has made this feature a lot stronger than what the 00z GFS run showed last night, or even what the 12z ECWMF had today. Basically, if this back shortwave trends more amplified, it will prevent as much amplification to the shortwave to the southeast that is causing our storm. Defiantly think this will be a feature to watch over the next several days.

sy6p2h.gif

Archived