Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 19-21 MW/GL/OV Storm Potential

snowlover2

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah if i was in your shoes, id be totally meh but BI is doing a good job of keeping interest levels high

although a blow through arctic front squall line type is possible and fun usually

I've pretty much thrown in the towel and watching out of curiosity for future reference/learning experience. Best case scenario we see a large trend towards a more phase wound up solution, but even then i don't think it can happen soon enough to give us much more than a glancing blow.

As for the artic air, pass.

I would be more comfortable with a significant winter storm if the Euro started showing things that the GEM and GFS Ensemble is showing.

It is almost likely the ECM trends more phased this round given the way the global ECM/GFS ops have worked since the breakdown of the -NAO. But you never know--I am eager to see what the ECM dishes out this run.

I've pretty much thrown in the towel and watching out of curiosity for future reference/learning experience. Best case scenario we see a large trend towards a more phase wound up solution, but even then i don't think it can happen soon enough to give us much more than a glancing blow.

As for the artic air, pass.

yeah i was talking about a squall line, not the actual air which i also despise :guitar:

This has a high probability of being the biggest storm of the winter for a lot of areas.

I was just catching up on this thread. When b i says this, my ears quickly perk up. Especially when he posts a thread in OT named "baroclinic instability is pessimistic".

EDIT: I see Justin lurking. Hey, we've been asking about you. Haven't seen you posting lately. Hope everything is okay with you.

I'm good just a lot of family stuff that's taken me away for awhile. And I haven't had to much to get excited about lately in terms of sensible weather. I hope that will change in the coming weeks.

Glad to hear. I understand about family issues and most definitely understand about sensible weather. We've missed your input about storms that have skirted us and hit surrounding areas though.

How does it compare to the western wave compared to the 0Z? To me through 72 it is still far from being a good phase--but did it trend one way or the other?

Hard to describe off my maps, but it looks like it sends a piece out up through SE KY at 78 hours. Wasn't there on the 0z run or was farther south and weaker. But yes, as a whole, it's wide right...albeit with a more expansive/farther north initial wave. If that makes any sense. :blink:

That doesn't really say much when many areas haven't really seen a "big" storm this season.

What is your version of "big"? Just curious because its a very relative term. Detroit has seen a 6.3" and a 5.3" snowstorm this season. I would consider those "big", not "major".

FWIW, going back 100 years to 1910, Detroit has officially seen 98 storms of 6" or greater. That averages 1 a winter. Of course, some could argue the big-snowstorm drought of the 1940s-1960s (the 3 decades saw a total of only 11 storms exceed 6") caused a dent in that, and a realistic average would be 1-2 storms per winter exceeding 6".

The last 10 winters plus this one

2010-11: 1 so far

2009-10: 2

2008-09: 3

2007-08: 3

2006-07: 1

2005-06: 2

2004-05: 3

2003-04: 0

2002-03: 2

2001-02: 1

2000-01: 1

Basically what Im saying is, that while I certainly think we have a big, if not major, storm on the way this winter, if we dont get another one, its really just climo popping in to say hi.

12Z Euro...overall, wetter for everyone

ORD: .06

STL: .34

PIA: .25

LAF: .26

BTL: .15

DET: .16

IND: .31

TOL: .22

SDF: .22

PAH: .16

CMH: .36

DAY: .36

By no means would I not take that in a heartbeat if you could lock it now...that would be about 5 inches here.

but this has potential to nearly double that QPF amount.

Its time for a big one.

So lets roll the dice and get on with it.

Archived