northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 19-21 MW/GL/OV Storm Potential

snowlover2

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GEM is still suppression city, gives the STL area a nice 4-5 inch event...but overall is suppressed threw 72, we will see how it shapes out.

You sitting in the cat bird's seat right now. :snowman:

Probably 0.20-0.40" QPF for LAF with the 12z GGEM...right around what the 12z NAM and GFS advertised. Not the worst of agreement at the moment.

I don't think this is a total whiff for us and accumulating snow looks likely imo. Don't know how much yet.

You're right, it doesn't look like a total whiff right now. I was more so alluding to the heavier swath with that line.

Actually decent agreement so far this morning of somewhere around 0.25" QPF for us...give or take a few 0.1's.

Would I be correct in saying that the less amplified this first storm is in the NE the better chance we have of a more north phasing next storm. We have seen a lot of these EC storms bring down a lot of cold air reinforce the block which supresses the next storm. Is the NAO going negative after this storm?

You saying this, has me buckling up. :P

Haven't looked into it much but if this is another phasing storm I wouldn't hold your breath if you are in michigan ohio or indiana. We are 0-5 it seems in phasing. While the percentage out east hasnt been good either they have had a few and this looks another one for those east of ohio.

When you say it, I want to believe.

I've noticed we're in a peak period of +PNA, which I would think would help the downstream amplification prospects

pna.sprd2.gif

General thoughts are the NAM/CMC are not out to lunch with this threat, and the GFS not being quite there means little at this juncture. I have seen highly positive trends in the GFS op height fields, and it has continued to make slow trends towards the better phased solutions. It looks eerily similar to the last storm threat in terms of the way the GFS improved its height field amplification run-by-run. ECMWF will help, but I would be shocked if it doesn't trend towards a better phase based on the latest guidance and the way they handle the secondary wave passing through the intermountain W. GFS ensemble trend is also positive, and like the last storm, was a step ahead of the op. As Canuck also mentions--there is nothing that will be supressing the heck out of this storm--it really just depends on the quality and timing of the phase.

I also wouldn't toss the 12Z NAM--and it has the innate ability to more positively model rapid feedback development--and it has very impressive GOM fetch in the low levels. All these are good things thus far. I should have tempered my wording and said this has high probability of being the biggest storm threat for a lot of areas based on the latest developments--not necessarily a high probability of happening--just yet. Still good signs for folks looking for a storm.

Add your location plz. I-74 or so to DTW and points south and east sure looks good for a quality event.

I'm going to wait another day or two before I get excited about a storm around here.

As of now (and like always) I'm expecting the worst to happen.

EDIT: My location is Detroit.

Archived