• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 19-21 MW/GL/OV Storm Potential

snowlover2

Stupid Euro and the 24 hr charts. Good news though, the changes comparable to the previous 12Z run are huge. Much more amplified and a much deeper cold plunge. Now we need to wait on the intermountain W wave to see if it ticks E like the GFS has been for a better phase.

Verifying at 120 hrs:

post-999-0-79140700-1295288784.gif

Verifying at 96:

post-999-0-96902000-1295288782.gif

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

doesn't look like an outright phase is in the cards. Right now all we have is the nam and the ggem (but even it backed off a bit from 00z). I know euro has a bias to hold back energy but we're getting inside of 72hrs for the timeframe where it would show that ejecting quicker. You would also expect the ukie to pick up on it as well.

In spite of that, it still looks to have potential to be our biggest hit so far this season with the overrunning. i'll take it.

Stupid Euro and the 24 hr charts. Good news though, the changes comparable to the previous 12Z run are huge. Much more amplified and a much deeper cold plunge. Now we need to wait on the intermountain W wave to see if it ticks E like the GFS has been for a better phase.

huge implications for the long range as to whether that phases or not. An all out phase would most likely bring down the motherlode of cold.

doesn't look like an outright phase is in the cards. Right now all we have is the nam and the ggem (but even it backed off a bit from 00z). I know euro has a bias to hold back energy but we're getting inside of 72hrs for the timeframe where it would show that ejecting quicker. You would also expect the ukie to pick up on it as well.

In spite of that, it still looks to have potential to be our biggest hit so far this season with the overrunning. i'll take it.

Quite honestly there is quite the potential for a phase and a strong low/potential bomb as it heads E. ECM op doesn't change that at all--and the GFS op is about 2 runs from bombing and developing a full phase based off the last 3 and the trends in the ensemble.

The Dr No ensemble mean has shifted more the last 4 days than any other--so I have little confidence in its op at this time.

I am not trying to play this up, but the potential is there. The GFS op run is much farther N and weaker than its ensembles--and the GFS op is improving run by run. As I said, it did this same thing with the last storm. The op is the white line.

post-999-0-71316600-1295289665.gif

The real only difference is the western wave--and that is the wildcard. About 50/50 down the middle with the GFS ensemble--and the Euro has some really high standard deviations in its mean meaning it has no idea what that will do either.

It is also worth mentioning since the breakdown of the -NAO, the mesoscale models and SREF wiped the floor clean with the global ops regarding wave amplification in the 3-4 day range. Even more amplification would have a better chance of phasing the western wave--unless it just goes too far W. ECM op is a huge outlier here.

It is also worth mentioning since the breakdown of the -NAO, the mesoscale models and SREF wiped the floor clean with the global ops regarding wave amplification in the 3-4 day range. Even more amplification would have a better chance of phasing the western wave--unless it just goes too far W. ECM op is a huge outlier here.

Interesting and something i'll have to watch. It would be a nice surprise if we can continue a few more of these small adjustments with the inter mountain wave and see some rather large downstream changes towards a much more aggressive system.

The WRF-NMM (NAM) is only 20 percent of the ensembles. There is also the WRF-ARW/ETA/RSM (GFS on steroids).

Right, WRF-NMM and ARW look to make up the majority of the ensembles. Not saying they are wrong or right. However, I think it was Dodge City that noted that the NAM's upper air fields were poor from 60 hours+ out. I would actually prefer them to be right as they pump out a lot of precip over my area as snow.

Right, WRF-NMM and ARW look to make up the majority of the ensembles. Not saying they are wrong or right. However, I think it was Dodge City that noted that the NAM's upper air fields were poor from 60 hours+ out. I would actually prefer them to be right as they pump out a lot of precip over my area as snow.

Right now I am going about 40% that a very amplified solution verifies with a full phase. Still 60% that it won't happen, but the threat is increasing rapidly. We need to watch trends on the western wave and phase potential.

Archived