northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
NYC Jan 11-12 Miller B Thread Part 2

am19psu

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info i know its off topic but not really....Phillie looks like its about to get slammed.

People have been focusing so much on the banding with this event because thats where the heaviest totals will be but the precip shield right now extends pretty far west and people in PA/W. NJ may end up with a pleasant suprise. I wonder if the low over OH is going to help enhance snow rates on the western edge of the coastal. Perhaps thats why some of the high res earlier today showed a second QPF maxima in far SE PA. Any thoughts mets?

Same thing happened at the onset of precip during the Feb 1978 Blizzard with a surface temp of 20F. As the 700mb layer saturates the precip will become all snow

Yes , also in "78" it went from Partly Cloudy at 9P.M, to moderate snow at 11:30PM. Tonite here in Floral Park 5:30 stars, and now precipitation.........

People have been focusing so much on the banding with this event because thats where the heaviest totals will be but the precip shield right now extends pretty far west and people in PA/W. NJ may end up with a pleasant suprise. I wonder if the low over OH is going to help enhance snow rates on the western edge of the coastal. Perhaps thats why some of the high res earlier today showed a second QPF maxima in far SE PA. Any thoughts mets?

This is just the beginning. It looks like the ejecting DT/tropopause fold sniffs the coast around 04-06Z, that is when the fireworks begins.

Always wanted to ask this, sorry I know a tad OT.

How long does snow take to travel to the ground from where it grows in the atmosphere?

It seems like it doesn't travel very fast, maybe 10 feet/second.

not to sure on this but on average it takes maybe 5 or 8 minutes for a snowflake too reach the surface.

Archived