• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC Jan 11-12 Miller B Thread Part 2

am19psu

Yeah it does look a little further west on the radar then some of the models were progging.

Some snowfall already for the New York City region though the real fun and games is starting to develop further south.

Gotta love these sorts of set-ups!

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When dynamics "advect to ignite", there is NO pushing....I agree. If anything, weak waves that intensify rapidly under improving divergence take an inevitable left hand wobble, before vertical alignment takes place. In this case, the "wobble" will happen quite quickly as the wave and the UL dynamics are essentially on a collision course, as opposed to the traditional vertical tilt -> stacking process, where there is more of a dance to alignment....This thing is going to explode!!

I know, folks are getting excited, but this is nothing. There will be a literal explosion in cyclogenesis around 04-06z once that DT gets in play. I can't wait to see that fireworks show.

Also..to add to the point about the RUC...it has over an inch of liquid by it's 12 hour forecast for coastal/ne NJ..and NYC/LI. It's still snowing over many areas that that time.

You could see this developing within hour 1 and 2 of the RUC at 23z..it was more amplified with the height field by around 20 miles.

23zrucaccumulatedprecipjan11.png

Guest Patrick

This brings some crazy banding into my backyard, and almost into your backyard....

Betting that best time to sit outside is going to be from about 2am-5am. Sound reasonable?

The RUC might not have the best track record, but I can assure you that as long as it's not completely dead wrong with it's analysis...it's solution is not as wild as it may seem. The changes occurred by the 2-3 hr panels at H5.

Did that first band that just rolled through NYC give much snow?

Also does anyone have good webcams for this region so us people further afield can have a little glance at the action?

If you want to see the fireworks in action in NYC, there is always the beloved times square webcam.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/

The 00z 500mb analysis shows that the NAM was a hair too de-amplified with it's height field across the east coast...by maybe 30-40 miles. This normally wouldn't be such a big deal, but the guidance has been very consistent with one thing: the height fields amplification is one of the main factors as to where this coastal low tracks as it rapidly undergoes cyclogenesis. We will see what type of impact this has on things..but it certainly adds some teeth to the RUC bumping west a bit. Judging by the height field on the latest analysis..it's going to be very hard to get this thing tugged due north. But it's certainly possible that things move a hair west of where the 18z guidance was.

00zh5analysisjan12.gif

Archived