Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC Jan 11-12 Miller B Thread Part 2

am19psu

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking this event is going to bust one way or the other...its going to either be something crazy like 10-20 inches or 4-8 with a GFS type track....this could turn into what February 83 was for some inland places forecast to get 3-6 or 4-8 and getting 20.

Wow, Ch.11 WPIX said 'looking at the newest model data'...going with highest accums in inland C NJ/N NJ/NYC/SW CT, rain/sleet mix will hold accums down significantly Ocean, E Manmouth, Long Island...

10-15" NYC and NJ, 4-8" near shore...

Wow, Ch.11 WPIX said 'looking at the newest model data'...going with highest accums in inland C NJ/N NJ/NYC/SW CT, rain/sleet mix will hold accums down significantly Ocean, E Manmouth, Long Island...

What model shows central li west mixing...gotta love tv mets

Does any data suggest rain for that many locales?

Does any data suggest rain for that many locales?

No, the worst case scenario I could see in this event is that the system tracks close enough for sleet or a dryslot into E CT and E LI..otherwise it probably tracks far enough east for all snow everywhere...its a strong enough system or will be that I don't think rain will be an issue outside of Cape Cod.

No, the worst case scenario I could see in this event is that the system tracks close enough for sleet or a dryslot into E CT and E LI..otherwise it probably tracks far enough east for all snow everywhere...its a strong enough system or will be that I don't think rain will be an issue outside of Cape Cod.

Just read Upton's AFD-only talks about mixing over the twin forks if 06Z NAM is to be believed.

I'm thinking this event is going to bust one way or the other...its going to either be something crazy like 10-20 inches or 4-8 with a GFS type track....this could turn into what February 83 was for some inland places forecast to get 3-6 or 4-8 and getting 20.

If the earlier models hold at 12z, almost no doubt that GFS will cave at 12z.

Upton

If the GFS is correct with a track right over the benchmark...would

expect Li and southeastern CT to observe heaviest quantitative precipitation forecast. I still believe GFS

does not deepen the low quite enough as compared to some of the

other global models though...so its quantitative precipitation forecast could be underdone. GFS main

800 mb-700 mb frontogenesis just to the east. However...it outputs about an

inch of quantitative precipitation forecast east...with around 1/2 inch west. The 00z NAM in

contrast outputs over 2 inches east...and 1/2 to 1 inch west. This

would translate to over 2 feet of snow east. Op European model (ecmwf) produces 1

1/2 to 2 inch bullseye over Li/southern CT.

Always a very difficult job pinpointing exact snow amounts given

expected banding...but I can say that the potential exists for well

over a foot of snow in spots. Best guess would be at least a foot of

snow across southern CT and Li...and 8 to 14 inches from NYC metropolitan/NE New Jersey

and lower Hudson Valley. This backed up by sref snow plumes.

http://www.wunderground.com/DisplayDisc.asp?DiscussionCode=OKX&StateCode=NY&SafeCityName=Brooklyn

This storm seems to have a 1983 type of bombastic type of look on the models w/ 8-10 hours of insane precip rates... We shall see.. I really liked being on the western edge of lastnight's models but i guess we'll see what happens.. If NYC/ENJ score a coup again, they will be officially known as the snow capital of the US this winter...

This storm seems to have a 1983 type of bombastic type of look on the models w/ 8-10 hours of insane precip rates... We shall see.. I really liked being on the western edge of lastnight's models but i guess we'll see what happens.. If NYC/ENJ score a coup again, they will be officially known as the snow capital of the US this winter...

I like that comparison in terms of its quick and heavy hitting. Obviously a little different setup being a nino and Miller A instead of a hybrid, but once that storm hit it didnt let up until it was over.

Fwiw, the Euro ensembles are slightly west and stronger than the op.

Good, so more like the nam. Do you have any qpf output for the ensemble mean, Ant?

BTW-- there was someone who was worried earlier that JFK would mix or change over, and I can say that history is on our side with double digit events.... the only 2 double digit snowfall events that I can remember which mixed with sleet or rain were Feb 94 and Jan 96-- and the mixing wasnt significant enough to hold accumulations down any lower than maybe 5 - 10 %-- it was like an inch lower than what NYC got. Mar 93 was just under 10 inches at JFK and just over 10 inches at NYC, so the same rule applied with that one-- mixing doesnt affect us much in the big storms.

This will be a nail biter if it doesn't. Hard to believe having two significantly different solutions just 12-18 hours before the storm.

It has happened before. Extremely delicate situation here, but with the Hi-Res models going bonkers, the Euro agreeing in full, the ggem, rgem coming on board, and the NAM not backing down, all signs as of now point to a really nice event.

Archived