Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC Jan 11-12 Miller B Thread Part 2

am19psu

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You seem to pop up whenever precip totals are either cut or the low center moves away from a favorable position.

Well Upton seems to be going with 8-14 inches for us, so I would hope we get a compromise between the NAM and the Noreaster model :P

They did say 15:1 ratios, so even with "just" 0.6 qpf we would get 9 inches of snow. Hence my call of 50% odds of 10" or more.

Where do you get the NAM with 3hr intervals as opposed to 6hrs on NCEP?

I have a subscription to storm vista weather models.. you get most of the guidance in 3 hours.. at least for the NAM and GFS and it comes out sooner than other places... also get the Euro several hours earlier.. the price is kinda steep though.. it's 350 bucks a year... but I like it.. it's worth it.. the model page refreshes automatically as the guidance comes out.

Well Upton seems to be going with 8-14 inches for us, so I would hope we get a compromise between the NAM and the Noreaster model :P

They did say 15:1 ratios, so even with "just" 0.6 qpf we would get 9 inches of snow. Hence my call of 50% odds of 10" or more.

I like 8-12 for our area, could be more or less depending on these mesoscale bands.

Guest stormchaser

I have a subscription to storm vista weather models.. you get most of the guidance in 3 hours.. at least for the NAM and GFS and it comes out sooner than other places... also get the Euro several hours earlier.. the price is kinda steep though.. it's 350 bucks a year... but I like it.. it's worth it.. the model page refreshes automatically as the guidance comes out.

Oh got ya. Thanks for the info

nam threw hr 12 looks good. trough digging h5 low over OH valley, you can see the coastal xfer on radar reflectivity.

precip looks to get in the area by midnite, maybe before.

edit: threw hr 24. looks like it ends things a bit quicker tomorrow for NJ. at 500mb, it looks really good so im not sure why it kinda scoots to the NE. but overall, its still a big hit. last i checked 6+ inches is still BIG.

Guest stormchaser

Id say this is a pretty big shift with the precip shield

06znam850mbTSLPp06024.gif

12znam850mbTSLPp06018.gif

Its a shame you are using that 6z run of the NAM to benchmark this storm right now

Archived