• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC Jan 11-12 Miller B Thread Part 2

am19psu

Storm Vista produces a snowfall accumulation with the NAM model output. I thought I'd just post what it says. It just came out...

Orange, Rockland, western dutchess, western putnam, and western westchester, all of eastern NJ east of I 287, all of NYC, excluding eastern Queens and eastern Brooklyn: 8-12 inches

Eastern dutchess, eastern putnam, eastern westchester, western connecticut, eastern queens and eastern brooklyn, all of long island: 12-18 inches

Central and eastern Connecticut: 18-24 inches

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been saying all along...0.75"-1.25" total QPF. With the highest amounts north and east of the city. I like a 12-1 ratio in NJ and a 10-1 or 8-1 from the city on eastward. As far as where the best banding is going to setup, I would put my faith in the NAM and the high res short term models...and if they verify the whole area is going to be very happy. Unfortunalty for western NJ, it looks like the same areas that got crused with the boxing day event cash in again.

Can you take a look at the 00z nam please, and then tell me how much it shifted....you guys took the 6z nam hook line and sinker geeees. the western areas are a little sharper cutoff i understand but all in all discounting the crazy 6z run it is right on pace with previous runs.

If I recall a few of the previous nam runs showed a run like the 6 z run.

Overall, storm will be a solid to outstanding event.

Storm Vista produces a snowfall accumulation with the NAM model output. I thought I'd just post what it says. It just came out...

Orange, Rockland, western dutchess, western putnam, and western westchester, all of eastern NJ east of I 287, all of NYC, excluding eastern Queens and eastern Brooklyn: 8-12 inches

Eastern dutchess, eastern putnam, eastern westchester, western connecticut, eastern queens and eastern brooklyn, all of long island: 12-18 inches

So the western most NAM is showing 8-12 for NYC while the GFS is closer to 4-8. Seems like 6-10 is the right number.

That sounds like only around 10:1, or maybe 12:1 for long island, wonder if ratio's might be better

yea, we are all in good shape... too bad a lot of it may come overnight. I was really hoping to get sleep. I wish it was all during the daytime.. but it might be worth staying up to watch these insane snowfall rates.. and I suppose it will be snowing hard in the morning too, so it's cool :thumbsup:

Jay how much of it will accumulate during the daytime tomorrow-- like, after sunrise lol?

What we're gonna have to watch is just how well the coastal low develops. I think the 6Z and 12Z NAM are both entirely plausible at this stage in the game.

It's going to all depend just how much convection kicks off and how rapidly things take shape.

Comparing MODIS SSTs (picked the same time of day and a few days ahead of the storm to get a cloud free picture), looks like near coastal waters of NJ and LI are much colder than they were before the Boxing Day storm. This favors a track to the east of the Boxing Day storm ...

HOWEVER, coastal waters off of Hatteras are WARMER! Since surface based cyclogenesis is partially based on the Laplacian of surface temperatures, I wonder if this storm might start to develop faster than the models are predicting.

Interesting trade-off ...

110109.009.1743.mst.jpg

101224.358.1744.mst.jpg

I think at this point disregard the GFS qpf outputs... The Euro and and Canadian represent the basic track pretty well and the NAM shows that somewhere, probably in CT, will get 2'+ of snow. The rates with this storm might even be higher than the Boxing Day Storm which is hard to imagine, just wont last as long in the same spot for 10 hours with out moving West into NW Jers :( sad times... Ooo and thundersnow again!

Well it does look like the heaviest banding sets up over those areas...and with the rapid deepening happening, probably see a mega band putting down 3-4" per hour at times?

lol the same areas that got killed with a foot plus from the norlun?

Very interesting, I think as someone else said really somewhere in the middle maybe the best call, say 6-10 inches, though equally I suspect the bullseye probably will be in the 12-14 inch range in those areas you mentioned.

Its going to be interesting, I've never actually tracked any US snow systems before :P

What we're gonna have to watch is just how well the coastal low develops. I think the 6Z and 12Z NAM are both entirely plausible at this stage in the game.

It's going to all depend just how much convection kicks off and how rapidly things take shape.

Comparing MODIS SSTs (picked the same time of day and a few days ahead of the storm to get a cloud free picture), looks like near coastal waters of NJ and LI are much colder than they were before the Boxing Day storm. This favors a track to the east of the Boxing Day storm ...

HOWEVER, coastal waters off of Hatteras are WARMER! Since surface based cyclogenesis is partially based on the Laplacian of surface temperatures, I wonder if this storm might start to develop faster than the models are predicting.

Interesting trade-off ...

Thanks! excellent observations.

You can get them from Rutgers .... http://marine.rutger.../cool/sat_data/

I can tell you right now, models seem to put one heck of a tight gradient to the QPF on the west side. Someone in NJ (whether it be along the Delaware or Hudson) is going to be really screwed with 12"+ just to their east when their looking at 2-4".

Its just has to be a nowcast tonight on where the heavy band makes it back to...

Very interesting, I think as someone else said really somewhere in the middle maybe the best call, say 6-10 inches, though equally I suspect the bullseye probably will be in the 12-14 inch range in those areas you mentioned.

Its going to be interesting, I've never actually tracked any US snow systems before :P

You probably got some nice experience with your winters there the past two years in the UK ;)

<br />I can tell you right now, models seem to put one heck of a tight gradient to the QPF on the west side. Someone in NJ (whether it be along the Delaware or Hudson) is going to be really screwed with 12"+ just to their east when their looking at 2-4". <br /><br />Its just has to be a nowcast tonight on where the heavy band makes it back to...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

MILLER B storms are notorious for there extreme sharp western cutoffs,with the 12/30/00 storm being a textbook example of that.

I've been saying all along...0.75"-1.25" total QPF. With the highest amounts north and east of the city. I like a 12-1 ratio in NJ and a 10-1 or 8-1 from the city on eastward. As far as where the best banding is going to setup, I would put my faith in the NAM and the high res short term models...and if they verify the whole area is going to be very happy. Unfortunalty for western NJ, it looks like the same areas that got crused with the boxing day event cash in again.

Definitely having that feeling again, like 12/26, of the heaviest banding over eastern NJ and north east into SE NE as the event pushes on. Will be a nail biter for those of us further west and NW of say ~I-287. Though likely over down, the 6z NAM, does make one keep notice to a tick west with the heaviest of banding. Still expect 4-8" or so far western and NW NJ with 6-9" or so east prior to hitting the heavy banding probably from MMU east. Again, will have to watch for that closely. Regarless of that for my backyard the jackpot is still generally NYC north and east.

Archived