12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 9-10 Winter Storm Obs Thread II

Isopycnic

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

26 with on/off steady snow. Picked up 2.75 here at the house. Looks like the se part of randolph did pretty good. got a report of 4 below Seagrove earleir today. Unbelievable how you go from my 2+ to just a trace up in the northern part of county /HP. Things turned out about as I expected, but about 35+ plus miles futher south. Kudos to Robert for an A+ forecast. The biggest blown factor I saw was the start time. I had sunrise and nws had midday. we both where off and really got cranking about 5;00 am Congrats to all you guys to the south and GA. Im thrilled you got your due,

Yep, you're right about that. The roads are icy now, and will only get worse since we stay below freezing all night.

I can vouch for this. rode down 109 from Thomasville and then 64 east, it was snowing pretty good and the road was mostly white for long stretches.

Haven't been able to get on today, wonder if eyewall doubled up his seasonal average yet.

They should throw a little red at the end of that 8 inch contour and around NeGa's (poster) location. :guitar: Interesting map though. I would have thought the 8 inch amounts would be a little more widespread.

Just took a long walk and it was pretty amazing. Walking in the snow is more like walking across a frozen puddle. There is now so much ice on top that With each step, cracks spread out in all directions. Walked up to the road and it's a mess. You can see where 2 or 3 almost lost control and went into the ditch. The few vehicles that did travel on it did nothing more than create a sheet of slush that is already refreezing into a sheet of ice. The rest of the road has 5 or 6 inches of snow on it.

A little Surprised at the amount of ice accretion though. I would estimate it's about 0.15. Lots of crackling in the trees when the wind blows. And of course the entire time, there has been moderate to heavy freezing drizzle with some light sprinkles thrown in. One would think that wouldn't matter much but it's added up a fair bit and I wonder how much there will be if it continues all night.

The map looks fairly accurate for the immediate ATL metro, it has the 6" contour going right through MBY and I measured 6.25" max depth this morning. Surprisingly we haven't much ice at all, it stayed mostly sleet here before just stopping altogether. Roads are still a mess with 3-4" of snow widespread on less traveled areas.

Posted a bunch of pics in the picture thread and this

after being all over the hood i'm convinced it was more like 8"here for an average, several drifts over a foot around the house! The freezing rain hasn't stopped in 2or3 hours...its light but really evident on the power lines, signs, sides of the cars and gutters (1/4 inch ice sheet hanging):guitar:

I had a solid 7 with higher drifts up to 10. It's been freeze raining (new term lol) since 3 with sleet bombs (another new term) in between. Robert assures me that the icicles (5 inch ones) are the result of latent heat and not to worry about my power. I kinda threatened to 'visit' him if it did go out. scooter.gif

I always post my pics on fb. :)

Looks like the snow's pretty much done here. I am currently receiving sleet with a bit of freezing rain mixing in and conditions are deteriorating rather quickly. If you happen to drive through my area I'd be REAL careful since the sleet's piling rapidly and the freezing rain's not helping matters in the least bit. Warm nose has definitely made it's appearance, increasing my temperature to 28° but still sitting at a 25° DP. I suspect this will continue for a while given the banding that's currently over me and what may potentially come here out of the SW later on.

They should throw a little red at the end of that 8 inch contour and around NeGa's (poster) location. :guitar: Interesting map though. I would have thought the 8 inch amounts would be a little more widespread.

Just took a long walk and it was pretty amazing. Walking in the snow is more like walking across a frozen puddle. There is now so much ice on top that With each step, cracks spread out in all directions. Walked up to the road and it's a mess. You can see where 2 or 3 almost lost control and went into the ditch. The few vehicles that did travel on it did nothing more than create a sheet of slush that is already refreezing into a sheet of ice. The rest of the road has 5 or 6 inches of snow on it.

A little Surprised at the amount of ice accretion though. I would estimate it's about 0.15. Lots of crackling in the trees when the wind blows. And of course the entire time, there has been moderate to heavy freezing drizzle with some light sprinkles thrown in. One would think that wouldn't matter much but it's added up a fair bit and I wonder how much there will be if it continues all night.

lol - i think there were some higher amounts in the area, demorest had 8" early this morning, while it was still snowing

took the dogs out and the lab was fine (but she didnt like it) the beagle couldnt walk, he really wasnt able to break through unless he jumped. neither liked the loud noise of the ice cracker. i was also surprised when i saw that much ice here - you really hear it in the trees now, will be interesting to see how long it lasts and how heavy the drizzle gets

edited to add: from what i am reading here, seeing on the news, and seeing outside i am not sure that many people from n al through the upstate are going to be going anywhere tomorrow. its a solid sheet of ice on the streets now. all that snow with a heavy dusting of sleet and now the ice is just smoothing it all over like a skating rink

lol - i think there were some higher amounts in the area, demorest had 8" early this morning, while it was still snowing

took the dogs out and the lab was fine (but she didnt like it) the beagle couldnt walk, he really wasnt able to break through unless he jumped. neither liked the loud noise of the ice cracker. i was also surprised when i saw that much ice here - you really hear it in the trees now, will be interesting to see how long it lasts and how heavy the drizzle gets

Yeah I noticed there was enough of a crust to make the snow crunchy, but not enough to support much weight. We have two shih-tzus, and for them to be able to walk without being up to their ears in snow they had to walk within the single pair of tire tracks going up the street! The sleet throughout the day compacted the snow pretty well so it's not going anywhere any time soon. We really need a plow to come down our street, because even if we get above freezing tomorrow there is enough snow that it will just quickly refreeze tomorrow.

Yes. IP show right now. The radar, although choppy, looks great down stream..

Looks like whatever is coming from the SW is not just going to be snow anymore

Been having light sleet/snow mix coming down for about the past hour already

Make that a Heavy ip/sn event.. ip 70 sn 30

Roads will be bad!!

Archived