Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 9-10 Winter Storm Obs Thread II

Isopycnic

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 inches in SW Charlotte...freezing rain now. Should make for a interesting evening for travel in Crown Town. #icerink?

Mod Freezing Rain and Sleet in (S. CLT) Ballantyne right now.

Should be interesting to see if this heavy batch about to make it's way into CLT can bring back some snow...if not we might ice up quick.

Should be interesting to see if this heavy batch about to make it's way into CLT can bring back some snow...if not we might ice up quick.

Doubt it will bring snow. Warm nose is here and the snow growth has passed...I feel that if we want this stuff around a nice .15 layer of RZ will be the remedy.

Got just under 4...those moderate bands just didn't last long enough and didn't add up. I was thinking the same thing, yet again CLT somehow missed what everyone else around us got. I love this storm and Christmas storm but I want to be in the jackpot zone for one storm this year and have +6. The one great thing about this storm was that it was during the daylight hours. Been a while since we've gotten to see a good snowfall without it being in the light of a street lamp.

Yea, I mean climo tells you some areas are just going to do better than Charlotte and you kind of prepare for that. But Union county? Oh well, what can you do. It's all relative. Obviously there are plenty on here that tracked this storm all week that would take our 4".

I always tell myself I need to go experience one of those NW flow billizards up by the TN line but it's hard to plan ahead for those. The 2 feet Roane mtn got this weekend might have shut me up for a couple minutes.

As far as the positives go you gotta love a daytime event that is prolonged. The worst is when you wake up with snow and then the sun comes out. And at least 33 and raining never came into play as it has so many times (although I guess 27 and rain is going on right now).

I'll make some chili, have a couple beers and enoy it while I can. I generally like to read more than I post but now would be a good time to say thanks again to all the mets on here. Can't believe how lucky we are to get your insights for free. Keep up the good work.

You should be pleased when you get back to Panorama. a good 7-8 inches West Aville to Leicester

Yea... I'm a little perplexed that greater Asheville did a lot better than here. One hypothesis is that the winds have been easterly here rather than southerly in Asheville. Perhaps that allowed enough drying near the surface to limit those large flakes that were seen further south. Oh well... won't complain about a great storm for my folks down south, and it appears my forecast was pretty decent except for the southern edge of my snowfall totals near GA where lookout is located.

Yea... I'm a little perplexed that greater Asheville did a lot better than here. One hypothesis is that the winds have been easterly here rather than southerly in Asheville. Perhaps that allowed enough drying near the surface to limit those large flakes that were seen further south. Oh well... won't complain about a great storm for my folks down south, and it appears my forecast was pretty decent except for the southern edge of my snowfall totals near GA where lookout is located.

Yep. A very good forecast. Between you, Foothills, Raleigh WX, Brandon(and MANY others), I get some great info.

Do you think we will get much from the NWFS? I was thrilled with the last, but I suppose that was clipper enhanced.

Steady moderate snow still coming down here in North Lexington. It appears this is going to add up to something, quite to my surprise. A little over an inch so far.

Are you seeing any (very small) sleet mixing in with your snow. When it's real light I'm getting sleet, but when the intensity picks up it turns to light snow...27/22

Archived