SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE slowly approaching winter

dendrite

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to look forward. Intense storm to move through NNE late weekend. Track is so critical. GFS has been trending slightly east. At this point looks like a nice snowstorm possible blizzard conditions in E NY, N VT. NH will have snow to mix to rain and back to snow. More rain as we move east. Its 5 days away so track subject to shifts but the stakes are high with a 970 something low!

Powderfreak, nice shot. I had a great weekend in Stowe last year - really nice mountain.

Any posters near the Mount Snow area? I'm doing a house up there this winter and will be up from the 23rd through the 1st. We went up last weekend, but went hiking instead of skiing - wasn't worth it.

Time to look forward. Intense storm to move through NNE late weekend. Track is so critical. GFS has been trending slightly east. At this point looks like a nice snowstorm possible blizzard conditions in E NY, N VT. NH will have snow to mix to rain and back to snow. More rain as we move east. Its 5 days away so track subject to shifts but the stakes are high with a 970 something low!

Looks like the 12z ukie has it as a coastal hugger as it has shifted SE again, I had mentioned yesterday that this was what i thought the end solution would be, At least it would help the western areas out with less rain and a mix to rain here instead of all rain.....

Take it for what its worth, but the 18z dgex is depicting a crushing snowstorm for the northern Greens from Sunday night into Monday night of next week...beginning as a slushy water-laden snow with temps near 32F, then transitioning into a wind-whipped powder storm with temps plunging to 0F and below. The temp gradient is about as extreme as I've ever seen with 10s in VT and 50s in eastern NH at the same time late Monday. IF this were to verify, I would imagine the northern Greens would likely have their deepest December snowpack since 2003 by the middle of next week:

Maybe we can get a repeat of the 1969 post-Christmas bomb, though we'll never get that event's big front-end dump. The SW 1/3 of Maine got 10-20" snow followed by 4-7" rain, big ice in the CT Valley, big snow in VT - BTV 30", beaten only by last Jan's surprise.

Snowfall reports from CAR office include 24" at Kokadjo, which I find a bit suspicious because Greenville got 7", only 15 miles SW at similar elev. The 20" at Chesuncook and 17.5" at Chamberlain Bridge are 2nd and 3rd highest, and I'd put more trust in those. Odd area of heavy snow from an odd storm - the 10"+ area extends from inland Wash Cty NW to Daaquam/St. Pamphile on the PQ border. NE of there had major p-type issues; SW had much lower QPF.

Looks like the 12z gfs has come east a hair...still brings h85 temps above 0C in the northern Greens late Sunday into Sunday night, but I'm wondering if the region would be dry-slotted at the time. Then h85 temps crash as the surface low passes Monday morning, which might allow for a several hour period of heavy CCB snow followed by the usual post-storm upslope. The "sweet spot" is definitely still in New York, but the Greens could probably pull off a fairly significant event even with a mid-storm changeover.

Looks like the 12z gfs has come east a hair...still brings h85 temps above 0C in the northern Greens late Sunday into Sunday night, but I'm wondering if the region would be dry-slotted at the time. Then h85 temps crash as the surface low passes Monday morning, which might allow for a several hour period of heavy CCB snow followed by the usual post-storm upslope. The "sweet spot" is definitely still in New York, but the Greens could probably pull off a fairly significant event even with a mid-storm changeover.

What I can envision happening is this sort of scenario of snow/mix (hopefully no rain, but honestly, the snowpack could use some substance) back to snow... and although folks in NY could pull decent synoptic snows, I've seen several of these types of storms where we actually end up being the "sweet spot" because of the upslope that follows. Everyone will get the same general synoptic snowfall, with upstate NY doing the best, but then over the course of 2 days after the storm the upslope regions will catch up and surpass the others.

These are the types of storms where J.Spin is posting his 12 hour snow accumulations for a day or two after the synoptic storm leaves.

I honestly haven't looked that hard at the next storm because IT IS STILL SNOWING at a decent clip. Picked up another 1-2" this morning at 1,500ft. There is a ridiculous amount of fluff in the woods on Mansfield. There are areas that are a legit chest deep in the woods...its pure fluff so you can't ski the woods as you'll likely break a femur on a downed tree, but fun to wallow around in. Also we have a 6-7 foot drift on the front of Mtn Operations building.

What I can envision happening is this sort of scenario of snow/mix (hopefully no rain, but honestly, the snowpack could use some substance) back to snow... and although folks in NY could pull decent synoptic snows, I've seen several of these types of storms where we actually end up being the "sweet spot" because of the upslope that follows. Everyone will get the same general synoptic snowfall, with upstate NY doing the best, but then over the course of 2 days after the storm the upslope regions will catch up and surpass the others.

These are the types of storms where J.Spin is posting his 12 hour snow accumulations for a day or two after the synoptic storm leaves.

I honestly haven't looked that hard at the next storm because IT IS STILL SNOWING at a decent clip. Picked up another 1-2" this morning at 1,500ft. There is a ridiculous amount of fluff in the woods on Mansfield. There are areas that are a legit chest deep in the woods...its pure fluff so you can't ski the woods as you'll likely break a femur on a downed tree, but fun to wallow around in. Also we have a 6-7 foot drift on the front of Mtn Operations building.

The forecast track realyl favors the adk. As for the wrap around - its not really wrap around so much as another lingering moist upper level low and broad cyclonic flow hanging around int he wake of the system that could hammer the greens tues-friday of next week. Well that and some more retrograding goodness.

We are going to need a lot of prayers up here, Maybe the rev can come up and do a sermon.......

I've almost abandoned all hope, though there is that small percentage of You Never Know hanging on. I'm thinking this trend east will either slow or maybe even correct back to the west a touch as the models zero in on the solution.

I've almost abandoned all hope, though there is that small percentage of You Never Know hanging on. I'm thinking this trend east will either slow or maybe even correct back to the west a touch as the models zero in on the solution.

I agree. I'm right there with you on the rain train. Could get a little messy around here with 7 inches of snow on the ground though. Not looking forward to the slop.

The euro continues to be on the western fringe of the guidance envelope, but we are starting to edge into the timeframe when it is statistically dominant (inside of 4.5 days). I'll give it until tonight's 00z run, but I wouldn't be shocked if other guidance begins trending west again. There's little question that it's going to rain in NH/ME, in my opinion...but VT (especially western VT) is the real question mark.

The euro continues to be on the western fringe of the guidance envelope, but we are starting to edge into the timeframe when it is statistically dominant (inside of 4.5 days). I'll give it until tonight's 00z run, but I wouldn't be shocked if other guidance begins trending west again. There's little question that it's going to rain in NH/ME, in my opinion...but VT (especially western VT) is the real question mark.

Read under my avatar..........lol

BTV put together some three day totals for this event with a map, so I figured I would pass it along to the NNE forum. Thanks to BTV for putting this together. Largest accumulation I’ve seen in there is the North Underhill one at 32.1 inches. It actually would have been neat if they could have added a couple more gradations of color for those areas up near 30 inches so that those areas could be isolated visually, but I think they were running out of room on the scale bar. For our location on the Waterbury/Bolton line (Chittenden County/Washington County Line), the 3-day total was 20.2 inches based on my CoCoRaHS numbers, and in the map you can really see how that mauve? (I’m going to go with mauve for now) color for 20+ inches bleeds through the spine in the Winooski Valley corridor and just noses into Washington County. It’s been a cool (and I’d argue somewhat classic) event, and actually still going as Powderfreak mentioned. From here in Burlington the wall of white along the Greens is clearly visible, so I’ll see if there has been any accumulation at the house this evening.

08DEC10A.jpg

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
1010 AM EST WED DEC 8 2010

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL 3 DAY TOTAL SNOWFALL REPORTS FOR THE 
STORM THAT AFFECTED OUR REGION. APPRECIATION IS EXTENDED TO 
HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS AND 
MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS.  THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR 
HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION          STORM TOTAL    TIME/DATE    COMMENTS
                    SNOWFALL       OF
                    (INCHES)   MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...CLINTON COUNTY...
  LYON MOUNTAIN         12.0   930 AM  12/7 POST OFFICE
  PERU                     T   754 AM  12/7 COCORAHS 
  PLATTSBURGH              T   756 AM  12/7 SPOTTER 
  SCHUYLER FALLS           T   756 AM  12/7 SPOTTER 

...ESSEX COUNTY...
  LAKE PLACID           20.3   800 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  NEWCOMB                7.2   700 AM  12/8 COOP 

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...
  MALONE                13.5   700 AM  12/8 COOP 
  CHATEAUGAY             8.0   930 AM  12/7 POST OFFICE
  WHIPPLEVILLE           8.0   728 AM  12/7 COOP 
  DUANE                  6.0   749 AM  12/7 SPOTTER 
  FORT COVINGTON         1.5   930 AM  12/7 POST OFFICE

...ST. LAWRENCE COUNTY...
  HANNAWA FALLS         14.5   700 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  GOUVERNEUR 3 NW        7.0   700 AM  12/7 COOP 
  EDWARDS                6.0   700 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  EDWARDS                5.5   756 AM  12/7 SPOTTER 
  NORFOLK                5.0   753 AM  12/7 SPOTTER 

VERMONT

...ADDISON COUNTY...
  JERUSALEM             17.0   928 AM  12/7 SPOTTER 
  SOUTH LINCOLN         14.0   700 AM  12/8 COOP 
  LINCOLN               11.8   715 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  WEST ADDISON           2.0   907 AM  12/7 SPOTTER 
  BRIDPORT               1.0   705 AM  12/7 SPOTTER 

...CALEDONIA COUNTY...
  WALDEN                 9.2   700 AM  12/8 COOP 
  SUTTON                 8.8   700 AM  12/8 COOP 
  SHEFFIELD              5.9   715 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  SUTTON 2 NE            5.3   700 AM  12/8 COOP 
  GROTON                 3.9   600 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 

...CHITTENDEN COUNTY...
  NORTH UNDERHILL       32.1   700 AM  12/8 NWS EMPLOYEE 
  NASHVILLE 1 E         29.2   645 AM  12/8 NWS EMPLOYEE 
  HUNTINGTON            23.7   700 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  HANKSVILLE            22.1   700 AM  12/8 COOP 
  RICHMOND              22.0  1002 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  WESTFORD              14.0   800 AM  12/7 NWS EMPLOYEE 
  MILTON                11.0   728 AM  12/7 SPOTTER 
  ESSEX JUNCTION        10.0   800 AM  12/7 SPOTTER 
  ESSEX JUNCTION 1 N     7.8   800 AM  12/7 COOP 
  SOUTH BURLINGTON       5.7   700 AM  12/8 ASOS 
  SOUTH BURLINGTON       2.0   757 AM  12/7 NWS EMPLOYEE
  CHARLOTTE              1.8   730 AM  12/7 COCORAHS  
  COLCHESTER             0.5   800 AM  12/7 NWS EMPLOYEE 

...ESSEX COUNTY...
  ISLAND POND            7.7   800 AM  12/8 COOP 

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...
  FLETCHER              27.0   853 AM  12/7 PUBLIC
  SHELDON SPRINGS       20.0   757 AM  12/7 SPOTTER 
  HIGHGATE              11.1   850 AM  12/7 SPOTTER 
  SWANTON                4.0   849 AM  12/7 SPOTTER 

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...
  CAMBRIDGE             27.0   951 AM  12/8 FAA EMPLOYEE
  EDEN 2 S              22.5   700 AM  12/8 COOP 
  JEFFERSONVILLE        22.0   842 AM  12/8 SPOTTER 
  EDEN                  16.0   839 AM  12/7 MEDIA
  HYDE PARK             15.0   840 AM  12/7 MEDIA
  HYDE PARK             14.8   630 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  PLEASANT VALLEY       14.5  1201 AM  12/7 SPOTTER
  STOWE                 13.7   730 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  MOUNT MANSFIELD       13.5   400 PM  12/7 COOP 

...ORANGE COUNTY...
  CORINTH                2.5   700 AM  12/8 COOP 
  BROOKFIELD 2 WSW       1.0   700 AM  12/8 COOP 
  CHELSEA 2 NW           0.7   700 AM  12/8 COOP 
  UNION VILLAGE DAM      0.3   700 AM  12/8 COOP 

...ORLEANS COUNTY...
  JAY PEAK              27.0   700 AM  12/8 COOP 
  WESTFIELD             26.5   700 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  MORGAN                10.1   800 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  CRAFTSBURY COMMON      9.6   800 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  BARTON                 6.0   700 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  NEWPORT                5.8  1003 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  IRASBURG               4.1   700 AM  12/8 COOP 
  NEWPORT                2.8   700 AM  12/8 COOP 

...RUTLAND COUNTY...
  DANBY FOUR CORNERS     4.5   700 AM  12/8 COOP 
  RUTLAND                3.2   700 AM  12/8 COOP 

...WASHINGTON COUNTY...
  WATERBURY             20.2   600 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  WATERBURY CENTER      15.3   630 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  CABOT                 13.2  1003 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  WATERBURY CENTER      12.6   700 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  WORCESTER 2 W          6.1   700 AM  12/8 COOP 
  EAST CALAIS            4.1   600 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  MARSHFIELD             3.7   545 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  WAITSFIELD             3.2   700 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  WAITSFIELD 2 W         3.2   700 AM  12/8 COOP 
  EAST CALAIS            2.0   812 AM  12/8 SPOTTER 
  PLAINFIELD             1.3   700 AM  12/8 COOP 
  NORTHFIELD               T   700 AM  12/8 COOP 

...WINDSOR COUNTY...
  NORTH POMFRET          2.2   700 AM  12/8 COCORAHS 
  ROCHESTER              1.5   700 AM  12/8 COOP 
  BETHEL 4 N               T   700 AM  12/8 COOP 
  CAVENDISH                T   700 AM  12/8 COOP 

$$

LAHIFF

BTV put together some three day totals for this event with a map, so I figured I would pass it along to the NNE forum.

Nice post, J.Spin. Still flurrying though intensity has diminished significantly this afternoon. We had a good burst around noontime and steady light snows besides that. Looks like the mountain picked up another 1-2" during the day today.

It looks like they've got Stowe down for just over 13" for this storm. That's about the amount of snow I have on the ground right now (roughly a foot) on the Mountain Road so I'm not sure if that's adding up different periods of time or what. If I add up all the 12 hour periods starting with the 3.5" on Saturday night, I get 18.5" of snow for the event.

I have noticed a very fast decrease in snow though as one heads towards the center of town and then out of town towards the Morrisville-Stowe airport. I had to run an errand out that way this afternoon and it looked like there was more like 6-8" on the ground out towards MVL. Definitely a strong gradient as you head east and west of the spine.

Also, that 10" from the Mansfield co-op is very interesting see as the snow depth increased by 19" in yesterday's 24 hour period.

Quite a classic upslope event and one that I think we will remember as an example of what upslope flow can do with a stalled low to our north. Also, with the January storm last year and this past storm, its safe to say that retrograding lows to our north treat us very well.

I'll post some pics from town later.

Well that and some more retrograding goodness.

That's pretty much an oxymoron, IMO, at least for MBY.

Maybe this winter will be much different from last year's pattern in much of NNE.

09-10:

out to sea

out to sea

inland runner - rain

out to sea

(repeat)

10-11?:

cold air

inland runner - rain

cold air

(repeat)

I'm going to post some pictures here, and some in the Winter Photo Thread to document this event...

This was this morning... days and days of fluffy snow falling from the sky. Clean off the car, dig out, rinse and repeat.

Mushroom caps on the rocks in the river that follows the Mountain Road.

Driving around town taking pictures out the car window... winter's here.

Sucks most of that will be washed away by Monday...though looks like more on the way after that

Yeah I still think though we could pick up some on the front end, then mix and rain (but east of the mountains this area doesn't usually "torch" by any means, and we'll be closer to the cold here), followed by some more upslope/wrap around snow. I have hope that we won't lose the snow cover and might even be able to come away with a net gain if it all breaks right.

But the postcard picturesque nature of this snow will definitely disappear... maybe we can get a couple more inches with the clipper, too.

I still have hope that the mountains will be at least 50% frozen between some front end and wrap around/upslope. The 12z Euro would be a disaster, but I would take the 00z Euro in a heartbeat. If it's mostly rain, especially a warmer rain that would be bad, but like powderfreak said, 50% frozen 50% cold rain isn't that bad because it would be a net positive in terms of the liquid content of the snowpack which should lay down a good base for our epic late december Snowman.gif

Archived