joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE slowly approaching winter

dendrite

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Just wow. I should edit but... measured 8.5" of overnight accumulation on my car. Around 14" on the ground. Long duration storm total is somewhere near 18". This is for 800ft in Stowe village.

Town is in full blizzard mode... can't see anything out there in heavy falling snow and wind.

And if you're fortunate the storm early next week will be a repeat.

And if you're fortunate the storm early next week will be a repeat.

Yeah this is nuts. It is snowing so hard right now... easily 1-2"/hr stuff and that would explain the 8.5" in roughly the same amount of time last night while I was sleeping.

Up here at the mountain there are drifts to 3-5 feet. 12" at the base and 16" at the summit in the past 24 hours is likely quite conservative but its impossible to measure. Groomers are reporting spots of up to 30" in the upper elevations of Mansfield.

Event totals: 18.0” Snow/0.61” L.E.

Tuesday 12/7/2010 6:00 A.M. update: The snow wasn’t falling quite as hard for this last 6-hour interval vs. the previous one, and the fluff factor was up, with the density basically being cut in half. There’s plenty of settling going on with the fluffy snow, there are 11.0 inches at the stake off the 18.0-inch event total. Details from this update are below:

New Snow: 3.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 65.0

Snow Density: 1.5%

Temperature: 21.6 F

Sky: Snow (5-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 11.0 inches

We are measuring in feet now. Some big totals coming out of the northern Greens this morning.

Skiing is ridiculous, heading back out now. Billowing, blower powder that's boot to knee deep, with spots of thigh deep.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
851 AM EST TUE DEC 7 2010

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 6
HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION
IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN
SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS.  THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO
AVAILABLE ON OUR HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION          STORM TOTAL    TIME/DATE    COMMENTS
                    SNOWFALL       OF
                    (INCHES)   MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...CLINTON COUNTY...
  PERU                     T   754 AM  12/7 COCORAHS
  PLATTSBURGH              T   756 AM  12/7 SPOTTER
  SCHUYLER FALLS           T   756 AM  12/7 SPOTTER

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...
  WHIPPLEVILLE           8.0   728 AM  12/7 COOP
  MALONE                 7.5   700 AM  12/7 COOP
  DUANE                  6.0   749 AM  12/7 SPOTTER

...ST. LAWRENCE COUNTY...
  EDWARDS                5.5   756 AM  12/7 SPOTTER
  NORFOLK                5.0   753 AM  12/7 SPOTTER

VERMONT

...ADDISON COUNTY...
  BRIDPORT               1.0   705 AM  12/7 SPOTTER

...CALEDONIA COUNTY...
  SUTTON                 5.9   700 AM  12/7 COOP
  WALDEN                 5.2   700 AM  12/7 COOP
  SUTTON 2 NE            3.7   700 AM  12/7 COOP
  GROTON                 3.5   600 AM  12/7 COCORAHS
  HARDWICK               1.0   500 AM  12/7 COCORAHS

...CHITTENDEN COUNTY...
  NORTH UNDERHILL       22.8   700 AM  12/7 NWS EMPLOYEE
  NASHVILLE 1 E         22.5   630 AM  12/7 NWS EMPLOYEE
  WEST BOLTON           22.0   700 AM  12/7 MEDIA
  JERICHO               18.0   824 AM  12/7 SPOTTER
  HANKSVILLE            16.0   700 AM  12/7 COOP
  WESTFORD              14.0   800 AM  12/7 NWS EMPLOYEE
  MILTON                11.0   728 AM  12/7 SPOTTER
  ESSEX JUNCTION        10.0   800 AM  12/7 SPOTTER
  ESSEX JUNCTION 1 N     7.8   800 AM  12/7 COOP
  SOUTH BURLINGTON       5.0   700 AM  12/7 ASOS
  SOUTH BURLINGTON       2.0   757 AM  12/7 NWS EMPLOYEE
  COLCHESTER             0.5   800 AM  12/7 NWS EMPLOYEE

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...
  FLETCHER              20.0   400 AM  12/7 SPOTTER
  SHELDON SPRINGS       20.0   757 AM  12/7 SPOTTER
  HIGHGATE              11.1   850 AM  12/7 SPOTTER
  HIGHGATE              10.0   753 AM  12/7 SPOTTER
  SWANTON                4.0   849 AM  12/7 SPOTTER

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...
  CAMBRIDGE             20.0   845 AM  12/7 FAA EMPLOYEE
  EDEN                  16.0   839 AM  12/7 MEDIA
  HYDE PARK             15.0   840 AM  12/7 MEDIA
  HYDE PARK             10.0   630 AM  12/7 COCORAHS

...ORANGE COUNTY...
  CORINTH                2.5   640 AM  12/7 COOP
  CHELSEA 2 NW           0.7   700 AM  12/7 COOP
  UNION VILLAGE DAM      0.3   700 AM  12/7 COOP
  BROOKFIELD 2 WSW         T   700 AM  12/7 COOP

...ORLEANS COUNTY...
  JAY PEAK              19.0   600 AM  12/7 COOP
  MONTGOMERY CENTER     18.0   748 AM  12/7 MEDIA
  HOLLAND                8.0   748 AM  12/7 MEDIA
  BROWNINGTON CENTER     5.0   545 AM  12/7 SPOTTER
  NEWPORT                2.3   700 AM  12/7 COOP
  BARTON                 2.1   700 AM  12/7 COCORAHS

...WASHINGTON COUNTY...
  WATERBURY CENTER      13.5   755 AM  12/7 SPOTTER
  WATERBURY             12.7   600 AM  12/7 COCORAHS
  WORCESTER 2 W          4.6   700 AM  12/7 COOP
  MONTPELIER 2           3.0   700 AM  12/7 COOP
  WAITSFIELD 2 W         3.0   700 AM  12/7 COOP
  EAST CALAIS            1.7   600 AM  12/7 COCORAHS
  PLAINFIELD             1.3   700 AM  12/7 COOP
  NORTHFIELD               T   700 AM  12/7 COOP

...WINDSOR COUNTY...
  BETHEL 4 N               T   700 AM  12/7 COOP
  CAVENDISH                T   700 AM  12/7 COOP
  WOODSTOCK                T   800 AM  12/7 COOP

Okay, time to ban you Powderfreak!! This is just not fair! All this teasing of so much snow so close to me. I read from someone on the board that Concord NH has not had more than a trace of snow since last Feb 22. Enjoy your snow. With my luck the big storm for later this weekend will go west flooding me with rain (again).

Gene

Got my predicted dusting overnight. Radar suggested another dusting, maybe even .1-.2", 7-9 this AM. 06z gfs has about 2" RA and 40s for Sun-Mon; can only hope that changes for the colder. GYX is thinking snow-mix-rain at this rather long distance, so some models must already be colder than that gfs run.

Why is there next to no accumulation near Lake Champlain?

Downsloping off the Adirondacks. Notice not a flake fell in Plattsburgh, NY on the otherside of the lake.

The upslope and wind speed convergence happens closer to the western slopes of the Greens and in the vicinity of the mountains themselves. Friends coming from Burlington to the mountain today indicate a very sharp gradient with only 1-3" in Burlington lake-front...4-6" at KBTV a couple miles inland...then it jumps to 12-24" as you move about halfway through the county.

This is very much like the Great Lakes lake effect snow where it can vary quickly between locations. Overall though, the Burlington bedroom communities in Chittenden County outside of the immediate BTV/lake front have picked up between 1-2 feet of snow.

Okay, time to ban you Powderfreak!! This is just not fair! All this teasing of so much snow so close to me. I read from someone on the board that Concord NH has not had more than a trace of snow since last Feb 22. Enjoy your snow. With my luck the big storm for later this weekend will go west flooding me with rain (again).

Gene

Haha, your time will come, guys! Some big nor'easter with strong SEly flow will upslope into you while I'm seeing cirrus clouds.

I really do wish more posters could get in on this action. It really isn't as much fun when only 3 people on the NNE are getting hammered with 1-2 feet while everyone else gets an inch. I honestly do wish you guys could see this outside your window, too. I'll try to post some updated pictures this afternoon sometime.

This is my first winter living here so close to the mountain so I'm sure I'm going to see more snowfall this winter than any other winter in my life regardless of how good the winter actually is. I'm only a few miles from a mountain that averages over 300" each season, so I figure even in a really, really bad year I figure I'll still see a solid amount of snow here.

Got my predicted dusting overnight. Radar suggested another dusting, maybe even .1-.2", 7-9 this AM. 06z gfs has about 2" RA and 40s for Sun-Mon; can only hope that changes for the colder. GYX is thinking snow-mix-rain at this rather long distance, so some models must already be colder than that gfs run.

A few Ensemble members at 12z has shifted the track east, I guess the 12z is well east of the 00z, Will wait on the euro, Thats the model that really needs to come east if we are going to have a chance at mostly frozen.....

Its like the energizer bunny... just keeps going and going. Showing no signs of stopping here. We are back to half-dollar sized fluffy dendrites and the air is just thick with flakes.

And the web cam image from the Ten Acres Lodge that is very close to my home location... village of Stowe is looking fantastic right now and everyone (both locals and tourists) is in a fantastic winter mood today. Nothing like the vibe in a ski town when its dumping.

10" here just north of BTV and it looks like we might be all done. I'm not real sure why NWS extended the WSW for eastern Chittenden county when it doesn't really look like any more is coming. The snow gradient is very pronounced as one drives in from the lakeshore. I'd say Burlington got <5", and what's really amazing is that Mallett's Bay got only an inch while we got ten barely five miles away. Williston got a foot and the foothills (Fletcher, Bolton, Underhill) got pounded. Looks like I should have blown off lab this morning :(

the ultimate downslope screwjob? check out Sharon, VT. those guys got NOTHING.

Gene

Don't remind me...

Archived