SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE slowly approaching winter

dendrite

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy how fast temps dropped around sunset. Low dew's will "dew" that. Hope all the NNE's make it over here, don't want to lose any posters we need everyone!

'

If people have emails...spread the word.

Hit 60.0F on the dot today. A nice 40F spread at CON (63/23) today despite the low sun angle.

Could not "officially" re-enter the fray until I'd gotten home to respond to the forum e-mail, but I'm very glad it's working so far.

Have not checked the max-min, but today should come in about 55/18, a temp range more likely in April than in the 3 months of shortest daylight. Tomorrow appears headed the same way. Also, some of the lowest RH I've noted for a while - low teens, with 50F spreads between temp and dew. (Even more at LEW, but that's been going on for much of the week; I think their instruments are having problems.) Should be nice and noisy for the hunt tomorrow.

Edit: Was actually 54/20, still a huge diurnal range for Nov.

65.8F was my high today. Probably will not see that temperature for many months. Great day for finishing the raking and gardens and bringing in the last of the wood. Put the lawn tractor and leaf blower away and brought out the shovels and roof rake. AMWX is in place so let's bring on winter!

65.8F was my high today. Probably will not see that temperature for many months. Great day for finishing the raking and gardens and bringing in the last of the wood. Put the lawn tractor and leaf blower away and brought out the shovels and roof rake. AMWX is in place so let's bring on winter!

I'm inside Joker's for a 5 year old's b-day party. Wifi FTW, everything else FTL. Hoping you're right about 65 gone for many months and that next week brings my first frozen.

Liberal use of the snow icon in the latest point forecast. *swoon*

That’s awesome, once I saw you mention it I went and checked some NWS point and clicks - snow shows up for Mt. Washington tomorrow night, makes it down to Mt. Mansfield on Monday night, and is even back in our valley forecast by Wednesday night.

This week has been interesting in terms of weather and snow. I’m sure these sunny days have been above average for highs, but the sun has still seemed rather weak. It hasn’t even been able to melt all the snow from the storm we had in the Monday/Tuesday timeframe. The nights have been cold down here in the valley, and it seems to take forever for the air to warm up to the forecast high. The consistent refreezing of the each night, and only a few hours of warmth in the afternoon, has presumably been helping to preserve the snow. Noticing how weak the sun has been at this point in November, and how the snow from even that fairly minor storm has persisted, I could see how consistent snowpack could start around this time of year. From what I’ve seen in this area, it seemed that our continuous presence of winter snow usually starts at some point in November, but I decided to go to my data and find out. Setting consistent snow as maintaining at least a trace on the ground in my reports, the start dates for the last four seasons were as follows:

’06-’07: 12/4/2006

’07-’08: 11/20/2007

’08-’09: 11/18/2008

’09-’10: 12/6/2009

----------------------------

Mean: 11/27 ± 9 days

That mean is actually a bit later than I thought it would be from memory, but that is probably because I’m best remembering seasons like ’07-’08 and ’08-’09. That’s why I love real data though; it takes care of those biased memories. Anyway, if this Nina season decides to behave like those two (in which we were also under La Nina influence as I recall), we’re only a few days away from those dates. If we were able to hold onto at least a trace of the snow that is on the ground now through to the next snowfall, it might make for our earliest start ever (11/9) in terms of continuous snowpack. The snow is certainly going to last through to tomorrow morning when I send in my CoCoRaHS report, since we’re already into the 20s F, and I think it would even last to the next day with the way these dry days don’t do much to it, but I don’t think it will survive through the rain and consistently above freezing temperatures at the beginning of next week.

Looking at the above dates and the upcoming forecast though, we are definitely taking advantage of this weekend and getting all our outdoor stuff/winter preparations complete. It was so nice working outside today, and regardless of what the weather brings next weekend, I’ll be very surprised if we can match the comfortable weather from this weekend.

Glad to see most of the regulars made the switch... has anyone seen or heard from Allenson?

I don't have any emails but maybe Dendrite could get access to his EUSWX registration email? That's one name that I haven't seen in this thread so far and he's a good contributor.

Have not seen him post, You may be able to go back on easterns site and check his profile for an email addy.........

Tried it, Don't have access

The snow is certainly going to last through to tomorrow morning when I send in my CoCoRaHS report, since we’re already into the 20s F, and I think it would even last to the next day with the way these dry days don’t do much to it, but I don’t think it will survive through the rain and consistently above freezing temperatures at the beginning of next week.

It looks like it stayed in the 40s F overnight, and as expected; that just about did in the last of the snow in the yard. There was still one small patch on the ground as of this morning though, so that represents one more “trace” entry. The remnants of the snowbanks on our road are still hanging around, but they’re just about gone as well.

The warm overnight temperatures were certainly something different compared to the last several days, and it’s a sign that things are changing. Showers had just started when I took my 6:00 A.M. observations, and the precipitation became heavier as I headed west toward Burlington.

In his morning broadcast, Roger Hill spoke of three main precipitation events for this week. The first is taking place right now; it’s fairly minor, and doesn’t have any snow chances associated with it. The next couple of events do have some potential for snow. Event #2 starts on Tuesday night, and has some snow potential on Wednesday night, but not really much for the floors of the lower valleys. System #3 comes in as we approach the weekend, with more potential for snow at all elevations. None of these systems are expected to be very large, but Roger suggested that tracking snow for hunters could be around with those second two systems depending on elevation.

Has anyone had any trouble accessing this site? For whatever reason, my home laptop really doesn't like this site and I get the "this page does not exist, check your internet connection" type message. I got on the site the first day from this laptop, then couldn't get on for 36 hours, and now all the sudden its working again. I've re-installed Firefox and IE, and reset just about everything I can think of and it still didn't work yesterday. Now today, for some reason it is letting me on.

Dendrite or anyone have any ideas as to why this is? The site always works from my computer at work but is very hit or miss here at home and I wonder if it has to do with site traffic? I seem to be able to get on with this laptop during low volume times but in the evening when there's a lot of traffic its a no-go.

Anyway, another beautiful day out there. Time to go for a skin and ski on the snowmaking route up at the ski area.

Has anyone had any trouble accessing this site? For whatever reason, my home laptop really doesn't like this site and I get the "this page does not exist, check your internet connection" type message. I got on the site the first day from this laptop, then couldn't get on for 36 hours, and now all the sudden its working again. I've re-installed Firefox and IE, and reset just about everything I can think of and it still didn't work yesterday. Now today, for some reason it is letting me on.

Dendrite or anyone have any ideas as to why this is? The site always works from my computer at work but is very hit or miss here at home and I wonder if it has to do with site traffic? I seem to be able to get on with this laptop during low volume times but in the evening when there's a lot of traffic its a no-go.

Anyway, another beautiful day out there. Time to go for a skin and ski on the snowmaking route up at the ski area.

Others have had issues similar to yours. Staff is working on it, I guess Dendrite can give you the full skinny. At least there isn't anything to talk about now. (Well, other than the big Thanksgiving storm. lol)

Archived