dendrite

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winter Storm Warning now in effect :thumbsup:

VTZ003-006-016-017-062100-

/O.NEW.KBTV.WS.W.0004.101206T1536Z-101207T1800Z/

ORLEANS-LAMOILLE-EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWPORT...JOHNSON...STOWE...

ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD...UNDERHILL

1036 AM EST MON DEC 6 2010

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST TUESDAY.

* LOCATIONS...NORTHWEST FACING SLOPES OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS...AS

WELL AS ORLEANS AND LAMOILLE COUNTIES OF VERMONT.

* HAZARDS...MODERATE SNOWFALL.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 10 INCHES...WITH HIGHEST TOTALS ON

NORTHWEST FACING SLOPES.

* TIMING...THIS MORNING THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...SNOWFALL WILL IMPACT AREA ROADWAYS...MAKING DRIVING

HAZARDOUS AT TIMES.

* WINDS...WEST TO NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH

AT TIMES.

* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS IN THE MID TO UPPER 20S. LOWS IN THE MID

TEENS.

* VISIBILITIES...DOWN TO 1 MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

Here's my point and click forecast for 800ft in town:

This Afternoon: Snow. High near 26. West wind between 11 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow, mainly before 1am. Low around 17. West wind between 9 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Tuesday: Snow likely, mainly before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26. West wind between 8 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Absolute whiteout at Stowe all day today... this is nuts. Heavy snow and high winds. Visibility has been near zero for the past 3 hours. Gusting to 40mph here at 1,550ft and over 60mph at 3,600ft.

Measuring snow is almost impossible in this wind.

Have you had a chance to go up on the mountain at all today? Snow was so light and fluffy I wonder if it's drifting in a bit on the sides of the trails where there isn't any snowmaking.

Absolute whiteout at Stowe all day today... this is nuts. Heavy snow and high winds. Visibility has been near zero for the past 3 hours. Gusting to 40mph here at 1,550ft and over 60mph at 3,600ft.

Measure!

Cried uncle after 2 laps at J. Heavy wind, stop you on the skin track gusts. snowin and blowin like mad - definitely no lifts runnin today, snow gun towers getting blown around. 3 hrs outside was enough, hard to say totals with wind shifting - but heavy snow with no visibility should be no problem seeing 12+ up high before sunset.

10 miles east - .5 mile visib and light snow

Finally!

Got out for a couple runs before the quad went on windhold. Chair was swinging pretty good near the top. Nice snow on the edges of the trails for sure.

Got out for a couple runs before the quad went on windhold. Chair was swinging pretty good near the top. Nice snow on the edges of the trails for sure.

Yeah I had a very sketchy lift ride up at 10:45am and talked with lift maintenance at the top and they decided to call last chair. Wind increased dramatically from 9-10am.

My best guess for accumulations right now are 4-7" on the hill since last night. 1-3" overnight and 3-4" today. All our "usual calm spots" for measuring are drifting so it really is impossible to tell. I found anywhere from 0-18" on my measuring run this afternoon.

Measure!

Cried uncle after 2 laps at J. Heavy wind, stop you on the skin track gusts. snowin and blowin like mad - definitely no lifts runnin today, snow gun towers getting blown around. 3 hrs outside was enough, hard to say totals with wind shifting - but heavy snow with no visibility should be no problem seeing 12+ up high before sunset.

10 miles east - .5 mile visib and light snow

Finally!

That sounds about right. There's no way you are going to get an accurate measurement out of this but the skiing/riding is decent. Trails are getting pretty scoured this afternoon, though. Just building the base in the woods, haha.

I'm back home in the village and its snowing very nicely here. If this keeps up overnight there's going to be a boatload of new snow.

The snow in Burlington was ramping up all day; it’s at a point where I’d have to say it’s at least moderate. Using the visibility scale, I’d say it’s at ~1/2 mile, maybe less. At the airport, BTV has been in the SN/SN- range in the past couple of hours. Accumulation on the UVM campus was ~2 inches.

Traffic update: On I-89 southbound in the Williston area, there’s an accident or something that has the traffic at a crawl. We’re past it now, and French Hill area is clear of traffic. Great to have the Wifi here on the bus, bravo CCTA!

I live right on the northwest side of BTV and snow has been falling for much of the day without much accumulation until this afternoon. It's been consistent and there is now ~3 inches on the ground. The area just got upgraded to a WSW with 6-12 inches to fall overnight.

Burlington, Middlebury, Montpelier now under a warning for 6-12". Radar looks really good right now.

VTZ002-004-005-007>009-018-071000-

/O.UPG.KBTV.WW.Y.0015.000000T0000Z-101207T1800Z/

/O.EXA.KBTV.WS.W.0004.000000T0000Z-101207T1800Z/

WESTERN FRANKLIN-ESSEX-WESTERN CHITTENDEN-CALEDONIA-WASHINGTON-

WESTERN ADDISON-EASTERN ADDISON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ST. ALBANS...ISLAND POND...BURLINGTON...

ST. JOHNSBURY...MONTPELIER...MIDDLEBURY...VERGENNES...BRISTOL...

RIPTON

632 PM EST MON DEC 6 2010

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST TUESDAY. THE

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY OF VERMONT...NORTHEAST

VERMONT...WASHINGTON AND EASTERN ADDISON COUNTIES OF VERMONT.

* HAZARDS...STEADY SNOWFALL FOR A LONG DURATION.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES.

* TIMING...TONIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

HAZARDOUS AT TIMES.

* WINDS...WEST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS IN THE UPPER 20S. LOWS 15 TO 21.

And they upgraded the west slopes and northern Greens to 8-16" :unsure:

VTZ003-006-016-017-071000-

/O.CON.KBTV.WS.W.0004.000000T0000Z-101207T1800Z/

ORLEANS-LAMOILLE-EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWPORT...JOHNSON...STOWE...

ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD...UNDERHILL

632 PM EST MON DEC 6 2010

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST

TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON CONTINUES THE WINTER

STORM WARNING...UNTIL 1 PM EST TUESDAY.

* LOCATIONS...NORTHWEST FACING SLOPES OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS...

AS WELL AS ORLEANS AND LAMOILLE COUNTIES OF VERMONT.

* HAZARDS...MODERATE SNOWFALL.

* ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 16 INCHES.

* TIMING...TONIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

HAZARDOUS AT TIMES.

* WINDS...WEST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS IN THE UPPER 20S. LOWS 15 TO 19.

* VISIBILITIES...DOWN TO 1 MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

I-89 on the Bolton/Jonesville line looks like a lot of fun right now in the notoriously windy and upslope prone Winooski Valley corridor... I've done that stretch of road enough in the middle of the night to know it is no fun in these windy, low-ratio upslope events. Visibility can be horrific and its part of the busiest stretch of highway in VT.

Event totals: 9.1” Snow/0.35” L.E.

Monday 12/6/2010 6:00 P.M. update: The snow is really pounding down here in the Waterbury area, and even though we only picked up 3.8 inches at the house during the day today, it’s coming down much harder than that rate at this point, and I assume the intensity has been ramping up during the day like I saw in Burlington. Just the couple mile drive home along Route 2 from the Waterbury Park and Ride was quite challenging. I’d say most of that was due to visibility from heavy snowfall, but the roads are snow packed without huge snowbanks, so that combination made following the edge a bit difficult. I’d say that the winter storm warning is certainly justified around here, as it is downright nasty out there and one would not want to get stuck out in it. The snow that accumulated on the snowboards today was very high-quality stuff of 4-5% H2O that makes that hissing sound as you push it around; it’s the sort that just begs to be skied. For this total retrograde event since the start of the weekend, we’re getting close to double digits for snow accumulation, and it shouldn’t take too long to hit that mark with the rate it’s coming down. I can see that BTV is expecting fairly decent snowfall to continue, as our NWS point forecast is calling for an additional 5 to 11 inches through tomorrow, and the forecast calls for potentially over a foot up above us at Bolton. Some 6:00 P.M. observations details are below:

New Snow: 3.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.16 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 23.8

Snow Density: 4.2%

Temperature: 21.9 F

Sky: Snow (5-6 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.5 inches

Nicely wintry here today - windy and 20s - but the snow stayed mainly elsewhere. Had about 0.6" 7-9 AM, but the deepest it got was 0.8" and it was so light that wind (and perhaps sublimation) have settled it to closer to 1/2" despite off and on -SN much of the morn and early aft. Forecast was 4-8" (had season's 1st WSW) and the GYX snow map posted earlier showed MBY at 6-7". Revision a bit after 7 PM says "up to 2 inches" overnight. I'll be surprised by anything above a dusting. Now we can await next Monday's inland runner.

Still not as bad as CAR with lots of rain while places to the south and west get hammered. More bad memories of early Jan. Quite the deep storm though. Lowest bar I happened to note was 28.61 (and rising) at FVL at 4 PM.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

837 PM EST MON DEC 6 2010

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM TUESDAY MORNING/...

AS OF 837 PM EST MONDAY...HAVE FINE TUNED SNOW AMOUNTS BASED ON

REPORTS AND SHARP GRADIENT THAT HAS BECOME ESTABLISHED ACROSS THE

CHAMPLAIN VALLEY. STILL LOOKING AT FAVORABLE SCENARIO FOR MORE

STEADY...ACCUMULATING SNOWS WITH WARM AIR ADVECTIN MOVING

SOUTHWARD CREATING A SOURCE OF LIFT...FAVORABLE UPSLOPE

FLOW...ALONG WITH MOISTURE ADVECTION. LOOKING AT AN AREA OF 10 TO

20 INCHES EXPECTED ALONG AND NEAR THE WEST SLOPES OF THE GREEN

MOUNTAINS. REST OF FORECAST/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES ALL IN GOOD SHAPE.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

837 PM EST MON DEC 6 2010

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM TUESDAY MORNING/...

AS OF 837 PM EST MONDAY...HAVE FINE TUNED SNOW AMOUNTS BASED ON

REPORTS AND SHARP GRADIENT THAT HAS BECOME ESTABLISHED ACROSS THE

CHAMPLAIN VALLEY. STILL LOOKING AT FAVORABLE SCENARIO FOR MORE

STEADY...ACCUMULATING SNOWS WITH WARM AIR ADVECTIN MOVING

SOUTHWARD CREATING A SOURCE OF LIFT...FAVORABLE UPSLOPE

FLOW...ALONG WITH MOISTURE ADVECTION. LOOKING AT AN AREA OF 10 TO

20 INCHES EXPECTED ALONG AND NEAR THE WEST SLOPES OF THE GREEN

MOUNTAINS. REST OF FORECAST/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES ALL

sweet! , that's a sick synoptic band heading out of Canada south to you.

Event totals: 14.1” Snow/0.55” L.E.

Tuesday 12/7/2010 12:00 A.M. update: We’ve had good snowfall for the past six hours, and at an average rate of 0.8 inches/hour, it’s our biggest 6-hour period so far this season. The flakes are big, the wind is calm, and thus the snow is a fairly lofty 4% H2O similar to the last round. We seem to be getting in on the end of those 30 db echoes that are pushing their way down the Winooski Valley/I-89 in the radar image below:

07DEC10A.gif

Details from this update are below, next one in the morning.

New Snow: 5.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.20 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 25.0

Snow Density: 4.0%

Temperature: 22.1 F

Sky: Snow (8-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.5 inches

Wow did it snow last night... no idea how much but the car is sporting a thick cap of snow. Looks like the Winter Storm Warning was more than justified because it is still snowing at a good clip.

We definitely don't have the same as J.Spin, but I'm pretty sure we are in double digits now.

I bet J.Spin comes in with near 2 feet from this event...and the western slopes like Richmond, Bolton, Underhill, Jericho, Cambridge, Jeffersonville, etc have probably likewise been destroyed overnight.

And the upslope machine is still, still cranking! This is nuts. Mansfield is going to be absolutely buried in fluff.

Archived