joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE slowly approaching winter

dendrite

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read an article in the Free Press about this wireless on the commuter buses from Montpelier/Waterbury... the first thing I thought of was now J.Spin can post observations on his trip home, haha.

A colleague here at UVM alerted me to that article, so I'd actually checked a couple of weeks back, but it wasn't until the past few days that I checked again and finally picked up a signal. It's going to be another great option for providing quick weather observations, but it's also a huge plus in terms of the efficiency of getting work done and staying in contact with colleagues while in transit. I'm also very excited that they mentioned the plans for integrating GPS units into the busses. I've been wanting that for a while, because it's always frustrating to head down to catch the bus, only to have to stand and wait for 20 minutes because it's late. If they provide online access to the GPS tracking, I could get another 20 minutes of work done instead of wasting that time waiting around. On the weather front, that type of system would really be great for those snowy days when the busses might be running behind schedule.

OK everyone who asked should be on the mesomap now.

Also- I have absolutely no idea why it's suddenly plotting temps 5-10 miles further ESE than things should be. I never touched the lat/lon settings in VWS or edited the original base map. Some stations are still in the right places... makes me wonder if wunderground itself made a change to the PWS data?

I just stopped in at the BTV NWS site and noticed that our area is under a winter weather advisory from 4 PM tomorrow through 7 PM Sunday. Our location is right at the south end of the 6 inch zone in the accumulations maps, but that’s substantially more than our point and click would suggest, so we’ll have to see how elevation plays into it.

03DEC10A.jpg

03DEC10B.jpg

03DEC10C.jpg

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

313 PM EST FRI DEC 3 2010

VTZ003-006-008-016-017-041000-

/O.NEW.KBTV.WW.Y.0014.101204T2100Z-101206T0000Z/

ORLEANS-LAMOILLE-WASHINGTON-EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWPORT...JOHNSON...STOWE...

MONTPELIER...ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD...UNDERHILL

313 PM EST FRI DEC 3 2010

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM SATURDAY TO 7 PM

EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM SATURDAY TO 7 PM

EST SUNDAY.

* LOCATIONS...ORLEANS...LAMOILLE AND WASHINGTON COUNTIES OF

VERMONT...AS WELL AS THE WESTERN SLOPES OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS

NORTH OF ADDISON COUNTY.

* HAZARDS...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON INTO SUNDAY EVENING.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS.

* WINDS...WEST TO NORTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 15 MPH...WITH GUSTS NEAR 25

MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS 30 TO 35. LOWS AROUND 20.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILL

CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND

LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR

GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS

WEATHER SITUATION.

Hey dudes--just finding this place today.

I literally googled "what happened to eastern us wx?"

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101112120210AAe2QTU

Anyway--had some snow on the ground at the house last weekend courtesy of the ice from last week and the wicked snow squall we had on Saturday....but alas, the heavy rains of this Wednesday past put a quick end to that.

Word for the weekend: retrograde.

Squall from last weekend:

5217622603_713ac4b7e9.jpg

What a boring stretch of weather coming up. Lots of clouds, cold, windy and a few flurries from time to time. Damn downsloping!! I have only had 1" or so of snow this season so far. I don't keep weather records but with an average snowfall of over 85" this is getting pretty unusual to go this far into the season with next to nothing to show for it. Need to move the house about 75 miles northwest!

Hey dudes--just finding this place today.

I literally googled "what happened to eastern us wx?"

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101112120210AAe2QTU

Anyway--had some snow on the ground at the house last weekend courtesy of the ice from last week and the wicked snow squall we had on Saturday....but alas, the heavy rains of this Wednesday past put a quick end to that.

Word for the weekend: retrograde.

Squall from last weekend:

5217622603_713ac4b7e9.jpg

i was wondering if we would ever see you again!!! Welcome back, always love your reports and pics

rn- in bangor ....i wonder if augusta and portland change to rn ...hope not.

i hope NH gets buried over the weekend but i thinkt day time sees elevation snow....valley rain/ mix

:gun_bandana:. retro lows .... 39 with rain in CAR 36 with rain here .... everything is backwards. :axe:

Here's BTV's local WRF model... here's 24 hour QPF from 18z SAT to 18z SUN...

1.01" at Jay Peak, and .75-1.00" over Mount Mansfield/Stowe Ski Resort. If this is anywhere close to correct we could be in double digit snowfall by the end of the weekend at the ski resorts. I'd be looking at a good shot of snow down here in the village, too.

Here's BTV's local WRF model... here's 24 hour QPF from 18z SAT to 18z SUN...

1.01" at Jay Peak, and .75-1.00" over Mount Mansfield/Stowe Ski Resort. If this is anywhere close to correct we could be in double digit snowfall by the end of the weekend at the ski resorts. I'd be looking at a good shot of snow down here in the village, too.

I've got a couple of tenths out of my 'event'. lol

Archived