• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE slowly approaching winter

dendrite

With some models showing 3" RA in 12-18 hr, Sunday River et.al. may spend the week fixing erosion channels through the manmade base. Also, the smaller brooks ought to go berserk if we get that kind of rain on frozen ground, thus the flood watches. S.Maine now under high wind warning, which may be extended depending on what the day shift at GYX thinks.

5:2 odds my power goes out.

Snow and sleet beginning to fall.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it won't last but it's snowing at a pretty good clip at the moment. Already picked up a quarter of an inch or so. 23F atm.

Looks nice out there--bummer what is slated to happen later on....

.3" fell overnight

Yesterday noticed the CT River had complete ice coverage from Hanover up to Lyme, and then down to just ice along the side up through Orford.

Hey neighbor.

I work at Dartmouth and when I was coming home last Thursday night, the river from Hanover up to Lyme was mostly open except for some shore ice and then Friday morning when I crossed from East Thetford to Lyme, bam! Iced over completely. Impressive. We'll see if it lasts this warm-up & the rain!

Posted this in the other storm obs thread, but figured I'd put it in the NNE thread, too:

Awesome meso-scale processes at play right now up here... The western slope is not where you want to be right now... SE downsloping flow on the west side of the Greens right now. Raining on the VT side of the Champlain Valley and west slope of the Greens... but snowing on the NY side of the CPV due to upsloping on the eastern side of the Adirondacks.

Check out the gradient (web cams and obs show this to be true) between snow along the eastern side of the Green Mtn Spine, rain in the west slope/VT CPV, and then snow again on NY side of the lake and eastern 'Dacks.

Also, up in this area there's downsloping occurring off the Worcester Range in the Morrisville-Stowe Airport (KMVL). Southeast flow downsloping off the 3,000ft Worcesters causing a temp spike at MVL to 37-39F (yet still -SN?):

Meanwhile, I'm on the upslope into Mansfield from the east, and I'm currently 31F with steady 3/4sm light snow, while MVL on the other side of town is torching off the Worcesters. Awesome stuff.

Snowing steadily and I think we can squeak out an inch before a change to sleet/freezing rain.

Wow...things changed rapidly. I left the house at 830 with Lgt snow and 21F. After 2 basketball games came out to 33F Rain and sleet with a few flakes mixed in. We did have a very small ice accumulation on top of the 1/4" dusting.

Currently 33F with lgt rain. Guess the only snow left to see will be the Pats game in Chicago....GO PATS!!!

Snow mixing back in still 33F

We could all use that, for multiple reasons. Hopefully your snowmobile trails turn out ok after this rain.

Bare ground here that was just starting to freeze, If we can run off the water we should be fine, Going to need some more cold weather to get things jump started again, Hopefully we see some better conditions the latter part of this month, 24" snow pack in Western Maine, They had been grooming up there, Hopefully the snowpack can handle some of this up there.....

1.6" of accumulation before changing over to rain.

Just changed over around 2pm up at the mountain... but not before 3" of paste from top to bottom. No real elevation difference as I measured just a tad over 3" at 3,600ft and right at 3" at 1,600ft.

35F with RN now in the village. We'll see how long it takes the 1-2" of paste to melt off the cars down here.

Hey neighbor.

I work at Dartmouth and when I was coming home last Thursday night, the river from Hanover up to Lyme was mostly open except for some shore ice and then Friday morning when I crossed from East Thetford to Lyme, bam! Iced over completely. Impressive. We'll see if it lasts this warm-up & the rain!

Hey,

This morning just south of the Orford/Fairlee bridge had ice completely covering it, two hours later when temp jumped up, almost no sign of the ice. I think it's going to be tough between the winds and milder temps, but I guess tomorrow will let us know :). I generally head into work in the dark, but tomorrow is early home, so I will see in the afternoon, if any ice held on.

Another solid week of upslope snows possible for the usual areas... I think there's a widespread light snow event on Wed to Thursday with that retrograding system, but heaviest snow will be concentrated in the upslope region.

Forecast for this week looks good after we get past this rain...I think its time to bring back the upslope thread:

Either MVL is on the frits or something incredibly localized is going on there. They've been reporting mid 50s for the past couple of hours.

Its currently 39F with steady RN here. If they really are at 55F up there at MVL, that's a full-scale torch but there's no other stations remotely close to that temp in CNE or NNE.

.SHORT TERM /6 AM MONDAY MORNING THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT/...

-- Changed Discussion --AS OF 248 PM EST SUNDAY...ON MONDAY...AS COLD AIR BEGINS TO

FILTER BACK INTO THE REGION...PRECIPITATION WILL CONTINUE TO

CHANGE FROM RAIN TO SNOW FROM WEST TO EAST. THIS WILL BE A VERY

SLOW PROCESS WITH EASTERN VERMONT NOT CHANGING OVER UNTIL LATE IN

THE DAY. MAX TEMPERATURES WILL OCCUR MONDAY MORNING AND BE FALLING

INTO THE MID 20S ACROSS NORTHERN NEW YORK...AND MID 30S ACROSS

VERMONT IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE THROUGH

MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY AS THE UPPER TROUGH BECOMES NEGATIVELY

TILTED AND SETTLES NEARLY ON TOP OF THE NORTH COUNTRY. SOUTHWEST

WINDS BEHIND THE COLD FRONT COULD RESULT IN SOME ACCUMULATING LAKE

EFFECT SNOW FOR FAR SOUTHERN SAINT LAWRENCE COUNTY...BUT IT

DEPENDS ON JUST WHERE THE BAND SETS UP. AS WINDS BECOME MORE

NORTHWESTERLY MONDAY NIGHT MUCH COLDER AIR WILL MOVE OVER THE

REGION BUT PRECIPITATION WILL ALSO ENHANCE OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN

ON UPSLOPE FLOW WITH AMPLE LOW LEVEL MOISTURE TO WORK WITH. SHOULD

SEE A FEW INCHES OF ACCUMULATION ACROSS THE REGION...ESPECIALLY

ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS OF CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST VERMONT. 850MB TEMPS

DROP TO -10C TO -15C WITH OVERNIGHT MIN TEMPS DROPPING INTO THE

SINGLE DIGITS AND TEENS MONDAY NIGHT. WITH CONTINUED CLOUD COVER

AND COLD AIR ALOFT...TEMPERATURES WILL STRUGGLE TO REACH 20 IN

MANY LOCATIONS TUESDAY...WITH TEMPS DROPPING EVEN FURTHER INTO THE

SINGLE DIGITS ABOVE AND BELOW ZERO TUESDAY NIGHT.-- End Changed Discussion --

&&

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --AS OF 248 PM EST SUNDAY...HERE WE GO AGAIN...CLOSED LOW DEVELOPS

ANOTHER SURFACE LOW OFFSHORE OF NOVA SCOTIA TUE NGT-WED WITH SOME

RETROGRESSION NNW BACK INTO QUEBEC.

ANOTHER POTENTIAL MULTI-DAY SNOW EVENT FOR NORTHWEST UPSLOPE

REGIONS OF NORTHERN NY-NORTHERN VT LATE WED-THU...ALTHOUGH THE

MAGNITUDE DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE NEARLY AS BAD. HOWEVER...THAT STILL

MEANS LIKELY PLOWABLE EVEN FOR NRN VLYS INCLUDING VT PORTION OF

CHAMPLAIN VLY.

SNOW SHOWERS MAINLY IN THE MOUNTAINS WED POSSIBLY BECOMING MORE

PREVALENT WED NGT-THU AND THEN AS UPPER LOW SLOWLY WEAKENS AND

PULLS AWAY BACK TO MOUNTAIN SNOW SHOWER EVENT FRI AND LESS SO

EACH DAY THRU THE WEEKEND.

NIGHTTIME LOWS LIKELY NOT AS BAD AS COULD DUE TO CLOUD COVER AND SCT

-SHSN ACTIVITY THRU THE PERIOD.

GREAT SNOWMAKING WEATHER AND WINTER ENTHUSIAST STRETCH...STILL BE

CAREFUL OF PONDS/LAKES AS ANY ICE IS RELATIVELY NEW AND WEAK.-- End Changed Discussion --

Archived