• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE slowly approaching winter

dendrite

Sorry Eck, I will say the consistency of a accum forecasting is laughable. I think ive been forecasted to have a foot of snow and have had 1.5"

1-3" over and over again with absolutely no accumulation here.. I trust *insert name of favorite weenie* more for snowfall forecasts.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowing heavy in downtown oakland. Big flakes.

Welcome to the board! It's good to hear from another member from central Maine. A couple yr ago there was a frequent poster from WVL, but more recently the closest folks to MBY have been from LEW and BGR (and a lone post from someone in Cornville.)

Light fluffy SN here in AUG for the past hr, much less intense than the earlier band. Looks like about 1.5" on the ground; hoping for more IMBY, which was all brown when I left home at 7 AM.

We actually had some accumulation in Kennebunk. I'm not sure how much at my house - maybe 1/2" -1" or so. It seemed like there was more by the ocean and less out in West K. I was surprised to get to work in Portland and not find any snow north of Scarborough.

Similar experience. Snow til the Buxton/Scarborough line then nothing, though nowhere seemed to be more than a half-inch. I may have jack-potted!

Sunday River getting some good bands.

Nice... those Lifties look pretty cold right now.

Snow today has been a bit of a let-down... for whatever reason the low level upslope flow and moisture advection from the NE just isn't getting it done. Flakes are extremely small (looks like a dry air problem, rather than snow growth). Its been snowing since 5am at the mountain and we have an inch above 3,000ft. So in 7 hours of snow we have maybe a half inch at the base. You can't win 'em all.

Pretty wintry day here. Much as Powderfreak reported above, small flakes and not much accumulation. Temp at my house 11. These is really the first time in about a week that i have been out of the house much. Been laid up with kidney stones, went back to work for a half day today, finally feeling better.

Event totals: 7.7” Snow/1.96” L.E.

Wednesday 12/15/2010 6:00 P.M. update: I left Burlington around 4:30 P.M. to very light snow falling. It was steady, but the flakes were very small. The main roads were generally dry at first, but once I got to the Williston rest area on I-89, the roads were becoming snow covered and folks were appropriately slowing down a little. The rate of snowfall increased gradually as I headed east into the mountains.

Just as I was approaching the Bolton Valley access road, I was listening to the Eye on the Sky weather on VPR, and Chris Bouchard commented on “a possible Nor’easter coming our way for Sunday night and Monday”. I didn’t think that storm was coming anywhere near us, although the Eye on the Sky guys do forecast for all the way down to coastal New Hampshire as well, so they could be thinking about their eastern zones. The BTV NWS folks do mention the possibility in their afternoon discussion though:

…THEN THE FOCUS SHIFTS TO POSSIBLE COASTAL STORM FOR SUNDAY THROUGH MONDAY. THE GFS IS CURRENTLY INDICATING A TRACK RIGHT ALONG THE COAST OF NEW ENGLAND...WHILE THE EUROPEAN SHOWS A TRACK FURTHER OUT TO SEA OUTSIDE THE BENCHMARK. STILL LOTS OF UNCERTAINTY TOWARDS THE END OF THE SEVEN DAY FORECAST...BUT STILL LOOKS LIKE COASTAL LOW MAY RETROGRADE BACK TOWARDS QUEBEC EARLY NEXT WEEK.

I guess we’ll just have to keep watching that setup.

Anyway, I actually had to head up to Bolton Valley to pick something up, so I got to see the snow situation up there in the village at 2,100’. The snow was definitely falling harder up there, probably moderate in intensity, but the flakes were still quite small. I walked around briefly and the snow surfaces seemed pretty nice with all the new snow.

Down at the house we picked up 0.7 inches of new snow today, but there was actually 0.06 inches of liquid in there so it was more substantial than the really fluffy stuff that we often get. Since 6:00 P.M. it has continued to snow, and as of ~11:00 P.M. we’ve picked up another 0.6 inches of snow, comprised of the same 1-2 mm flakes as the last round of snow. It’s not accumulating quickly in terms of depth, but the snowfall has been steady and the moisture content is probably in the 8 to 10% H2O range as it was earlier today.

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.7

Snow Density: 8.2%

Temperature: 13.3 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.5 inches

Euro giving us hope for Sunday / Monday. Local met on TV says wide right, partly sunny Sunday / Mnday. CAR says could go either way. I love this stuff. It's really a sickness. :snowman:

If the euro has it again at 12z, You can lock it in, It is getting in its killzone and that is why its called the king......... :snowman::snowman:

Event totals: 8.6” Snow/2.03” L.E.

Thursday 12/16/2010 6:00 A.M. update: We picked up another 0.9 inches of ~8% H2O snow overnight, it was very similar in density to what we’d picked up during the day yesterday. There were just light flurries and partly cloudy skies when I made my 6:00 A.M. observations, but the snowfall may have picked up because once I left it was snowing in some capacity essentially everywhere from Waterbury to Burlington.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.9

Snow Density: 7.8%

Temperature: 10.9 F

Sky: Flurries/Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

Yup, when the Euro starts barking, I'll sit up and take notice....

Anyway--picked up a half-inch yesterday of the some of the finest, smallest pixie dust out there. It doesn't pile up much but it's nice to watch fall...

So when do we start the actual winter thread? On the Solstice? ;)

We will prob have to do it before then i would think if this storm comes to fruition over the next couple of days......... :scooter:

We will prob have to do it before then i would think if this storm comes to fruition over the next couple of days......... :scooter:

Somebody pull the pin when it gets past 1,000.

Got 1.5" from 0.08" LE yest, tying 11/26 for season's largest. If the Sun/Mon thing whiffs, I might make it into 2011 without a 2" event. I don't think I've ever noted such dual reversed 180s by gfs and Euro, maybe in 300 hr fantasyland, certainly not within 100 hr.

Sounds reasonable.

Looks like some good news coming out of the other thread. Certainly about time for a nice synoptic event that we can all enjoy to some extent. Just in time for Christmas! :snowman:

I'll be at the Pats game on Sunday. Should be a blast tailgating in the snow but not so fun sitting in the stands....nothing a little whiskey won't cure. :drunk: I hope the Euro confirms and I'll be psyched.

They are going to get hammered with snow, If they thought there was rough conditions in Chitown, I was down in the superbowl years at the tuck rule raiders game and at the titans one a few years later, Nothing a little more booze won't take care of......... :guitar:

Watching closely - heading to Mt Snow on the 23rd for 8 days of skiing. I'm not broadcasting this to the rest of the house yet for fear of jinxing it, but wow - this would be nice.

:snowman:

I'll keep lurking around to see what you guys are interpreting for Southern VT. Hoping the trend continues!

When the event gets closer we'll start a new thread, but until then...

It gon' snow

26.9F

OK, now I'm really standing up and taking notice--not to mention the "storm mode" status in effect. ;)

Nice day out there today--persistent light snow & flurries here in Hanover...and probably at home too based on some webcams not too far from the house. I have to say, light snow showery weather, steadier here, slackening there only to come back again in a matter of minutes, is one of my favorite weather conditions. So, imho, it's a real nice day out there....

I was down in the superbowl years at the tuck rule raiders game Nothing a little more booze won't take care of......... :guitar:

Heh, my brother was at the Tuck Rule game--said it was a blast and I'm sure they all had plenty of anti-freeze circulatiing through their systems, lol.

Archived