joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE slowly approaching winter

dendrite

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still light rain here. Guess I shouldn't complain. we managed 1.5" on Halloween and then a few nickel and dime events made for good tracking during hunting season. This rain however has washed away what little snow cover we had and left me with a nice soupy driveway.

Oh, I am. My wife just turned the front light off and I leapt out of my chair and had her turn it back on. I told her how exciting this is and she was all "woooo".

Only we know.

My wife doesn't understand my outdoor lighting during snow events either...LOL.

Nothing yet here temps 32F...looks on radar not too far away with that first band

Eric--do you know if that's snow in the Bath area (my old stomping grounds)? The AFD indicates rain I think, but the obs from wiscassett says snow. Too bad Brunswick can't give a report anymore.

Don't know for sure. The wunderground radar indicates mixed, but it shows mixed for me as well and I've had straight snow. I don't really believe winter radar precip types anyway. I'd go with the Wiscasset obs and assume it's snow.

Heavy heavy precip. Half of that over northern Maine is rain, which still leaves a lot of QPF for snow. (The SNE guys won't like this map)

p120i00.gif

Yeah, we are definitely in the bullseye for Monday-Monday night with the retro storm. HPC is forecasting around 1.25 inches of QPF across eastern Aroostook County. NWS Caribou has Winter Storm Watches flying as of this morning.

Yeah, we are definitely in the bullseye for Monday-Monday night with the retro storm. HPC is forecasting around 1.25 inches of QPF across eastern Aroostook County. NWS Caribou has Winter Storm Watches flying as of this morning.

Too damn bad that today is rain. Had it been cold enough for snow it'd have been epic. Cantore maybe would've visited. lol

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/Trace L.E.

I first looked outside this morning at around 5:20 A.M. and there were a few flakes falling. When I checked again 6:00 A.M., the snowfall was more substantial, it had started to accumulate, and there was a tenth of an inch on the snowboard. The snowfall is still fairly light, and the temperature has been sitting at 28.9 F. Taking a look at the radar, the moisture currently seems to be coming in from the NNE:

04DEC10A.gif

Edit: I forgot to mention that there's even snow in the air here in Burlington, flurries with no accumulation.

I didn’t have time to comment on this yesterday after I found out, but in Roger Hill’s 8:10 A.M. broadcast, he mentioned that there was actually lake effect coming off Champlain yesterday. I had grabbed a quick radar image, and we did have that appropriate northerly-style wind making that streamer head down into Addison County:

03DEC10A.gif

We seemed to be just on the fringe of that in the Burlington/UVM area.

For anyone else that wants to be plotted on the mesomap:

I whipped up a little tool that will help me find your exact location.

Just click your location on the map found through the link below. At the top of the page it'll give you the X and Y coordinates. Let me know what it says for your location and then I'll plot you.

http://72.172.140.226/getlocation.php

Thanks guys--yup, back again and flying my MacAllan tartan to boot!

Some light snow just starting to break out here. I'd be very happy with a couple inches over the weekend to whiten the ground and really bring on that Christmas spirit. ;)

LOL at that HPC QPF map--total suicide inducer for SNE.

Welcome back, You may want to get yourself added to the meso map just click on the quoted link and he will add you on the map once you give him your location......... :thumbsup:

Hey dudes--just finding this place today.

Nice to have you back Allenson, everyone was hoping you’d make it. Here's a link to that cool map that eekuasepinniW made for the NNE folks that shows everyone’s locations:

http://www.weirsonline.com/mesomap.htm

It’s been really helpful in understanding where everyone lives, but it looks like you guys are already on top of it.

Snowfall update: 0.5 inches of new snow since the 6:00 A.M. clearing of the snowboard; flakes were big with some up to ¾ inch in diameter for a while, but over the last 30-60 minutes they have become much smaller in line with what Powderfreak mentioned. Temp = 28.2 F

Had 0.9" from 0.20" LE so far. A few flakes just started drifting by, 1st I've seen since daylight. Best snow came about 8 PM last eve and 4 this morning. Interesting drive home from PWM last night. (My wife is supposed to come hom today, following Wed's knee racement op - can't be too soon, as the near-200 mile daily round trips are getting old.) Left PWM a bit after 6, hit -SN about the Brunswick exit, then off/on until AUG, where it was mod SN. Between te mushy flakes and road spray, had to crank the wipers to high in order to see. A dusting in north AUG (stopped at Taco Bell to grab dinner, though I ate at home), and some slop on the road at the Rt 23 jct in Sidney. Then no problems until Mile Hill, which was snowcovered and looked slippery; fortunately I didn't find out if it was. 0.2" IMBY as of 9 PM, and I think most of the rest fell in that 4 AM burst.

06z gfs gives RUM less than 1/4" thru d8, half this morninnd the rest Sun-Mon. 2" qpf for Clayton Lake, however, and both 2m and h85 support snow there, albeit wet, perhaps a messy 12-15". GYX guesses at up to 2" for the foothills, but thi is a situation where the cocorahs observer at 650' in Temple could have 5-6" while I get maybe an inch here at 390' and 10 miles east. Looks cold thereafter, however.

Snowfall update: 0.5 inches of new snow since the 6:00 A.M. clearing of the snowboard; flakes were big with some up to ¾ inch in diameter for a while, but over the last 30-60 minutes they have become much smaller in line with what Powderfreak mentioned. Temp = 28.2 F

I think you are going to clean up in this event. You are in the perfect position to get some pretty solid totals.

I just went up to the mountain and took a couple runs... cold, windy, and snowy: the usual Mansfield experience. Top of the Quad was very chilly with sustained winds in the 20-30mph range I'd guess. It looked like there was 1-2" at the summit and maybe an inch at the base so far, however this is going to be a hard one to measure on the mountain as this snow is light/fluffy and getting blown everywhere.

Mountain Road is snow packed starting around the Matterhorn, and below that its just snow sifting around on the pavement (but not really "snowpacked"). Already saw one pick-up truck smashed into a telephone pole just below the Matterhorn, so the roads are getting slick. Stowe PD had a heavy presence up and down the Mtn Road trying to keep the weekend tourist traffic out of trouble on the snowy roads.

Archived