Newest Member
    amirah5
The NYC Banter Thread

Rib

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Through 12 hours,

the Rgem has equal strength, 1012 low and equal Low position to the 12z NAM. Perhaps even slightly west.

Maybe the 12z GFS will have a nice surprise for us. It used to be the one with the highest verification scores of any GFS run (I know theyre all about equal now.)

What the heck is Bloomberg thinking he's going on about how it's going to be dangerous tomorrow morning and that people shouldn't drive yet he isn't making a decision on closing schools till 5am.

the schools thing is sort of weird....before 2 years ago, NYC schools had only closed 4 times since 1982 (Im sure some of that is a product of crappy 80s winters)...and with something like 90% of school children taking public transportation to school, closing schools isnt as important...although Im pretty sure Bloomberg views it through financial terms, not the safety of anyone in NY (easy assumption considering his ridiculous comments after the blizzard)....closing schools costs the city money.

the schools thing is sort of weird....before 2 years ago, NYC schools had only closed 4 times since 1982 (Im sure some of that is a product of crappy 80s winters)...and with something like 90% of school children taking public transportation to school, closing schools isnt as important...although Im pretty sure Bloomberg views it through financial terms, not the safety of anyone in NY (easy assumption considering his ridiculous comments after the blizzard)....closing schools costs the city money.

I don't buy the public transportation argument since many of that 90% take buses and buses are prone to the same dangers on the roads as cars are. You just can't tell people it's going to be dangerous and stay off the roads yet expect teachers to be able to make it into school.

I don't buy the public transportation argument since many of that 90% take buses and buses are prone to the same dangers on the roads as cars are. You just can't tell people it's going to be dangerous and stay off the roads yet expect teachers to be able to make it into school.

Usually (I say that with a hint of sarcasm following the blizzard), bus routes and main roads in the city are VERY well maintained during snowstorms and its hardly ever a problem. But I agree about the teachers thing...just goes to show you how absolutely out of touch Bloomberg is with working class people.

The other side of the school closing thing in NYC is, something near, for 30% of the kids in the city schools the school lunch is the best (and sometimes only real) meal those kids get five days a week. I know that growing up my mom used to b*tch and moan that she had to perform nearly heroic measures to get to work sometimes just so the kids could get a good meal. :arrowhead: I don't talk to my mom much anymore.....

The squirrels know..they are going nuts outside today. I adjusted the contrast so their footpronts show better. I have a model that runs an algorithm equating number of squirrel footprints to snowfall. FYI the prints are in the top layer of soft snow which is about an inch left over from Friday / Saturday. Below that is bombproof hardpack except for the obvious former barespot near the corner of the patio.

post-290-0-99118800-1294770675.jpg

Wow, you have a lot of squirrels. A hawk took up residence in my yard last summer. Squirrel population is down.popcorn.gif

Ours has probably peaked because the hawks have taken notice. The squirrels have a nest about 40 feet up in a hemlock out back. I photographed this hawk in a tree less than 50 feet away last Friday . It maybe a coincidence, but he is staring right at the Hemlock tree in this photo. Probably not.

post-290-0-08601900-1294771459.jpg

Archived