northernriwx
The NYC Banter Thread

Rib

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

laugh.gif

What is so funny?

I checked Google Maps and a couple other sources, and they all agree I'm somewhere between 340-350' with the Juhring Estate Nature Preserve getting up over 400'. Not a surprise given the rapid rise in elevation off the Hudson River, and it makes a substantial difference in marginal events.

Are you just making a joke since I typically mention the elevation consistently in my posts?

What is so funny?

I checked Google Maps and a couple other sources, and they all agree I'm somewhere between 340-350' with the Juhring Estate Nature Preserve getting up over 400'. Not a surprise given the rapid rise in elevation off the Hudson River, and it makes a substantial difference in marginal events.

Are you just making a joke since I typically mention the elevation consistently in my posts?

Yes. You really do mention it in every other post. We get that you're at 350'.

:snowman:

What is so funny?

just making a joke....dont worry Im not actually mad...dont go all skierinvermont on me. sun.gif

Yes. You really do mention it in every other post. We get that you're at 350'.

Sorry, I'm just very interested in microclimatology, and I love the intense contrasts in this area. I don't mean to be repetitive but when I'm asking for forecast details, I like to mention that I'm at a higher elevation than expected for this area. I've noticed that I probably average 4-5" more snowfall per year than downtown, which is pretty remarkable. It's really cool seeing the differences in snowfall accumulation and snowpack retention between the downtown on the Hudson and the wooded uplands at 425'.

just making a joke....dont worry Im not actually mad...dont go all skierinvermont on me. sun.gif

No, don't worry, maybe I did get a little repetitive. As I say, I just love studying these small variations in climate.

Sorry, I'm just very interested in microclimatology, and I love the intense contrasts in this area. I don't mean to be repetitive but when I'm asking for forecast details, I like to mention that I'm at a higher elevation than expected for this area. I've noticed that I probably average 4-5" more snowfall per year than downtown, which is pretty remarkable. It's really cool seeing the differences in snowfall accumulation and snowpack retention between the downtown on the Hudson and the wooded uplands at 425'.

No, don't worry, maybe I did get a little repetitive. As I say, I just love studying these small variations in climate.

Im in a similar situation....Im at about 500' or so right above the Nyack lowlands on the Hudson...a few times Ive picked up a very noticeable larger amount than down in Nyack or the other way towards West Nyack/Nanuet. The first event last winter, Nyack received about an inch, we ended up with around 4, it was pretty cool.

Im in a similar situation....Im at about 500' or so right above the Nyack lowlands on the Hudson...a few times Ive picked up a very noticeable larger amount than down in Nyack or the other way towards West Nyack/Nanuet. The first event last winter, Nyack received about an inch, we ended up with around 4, it was pretty cool.

That's a very pretty area with the hilly countryside around Nyack, extremely lush in summer.

How much did you record in the 2/25/10 Snowicane storm?

That's a very pretty area with the hilly countryside around Nyack, extremely lush in summer.

How much did you record in the 2/25/10 Snowicane storm?

I lost all my stuff from last year (computer crash)...and my external hard drive is unplugged but I think 21 inches? I cant remember arrowheadsmiley.png

Guest Patrick

The question comes up every winter season: What would it take to make the winter a 'memorable' one for you?

Looking at the 1.5" of snow/sleet covered by what is now a .25 glaze of ice was the 'icing' on the cake this winter. Even if the pattern flipped tomorrow and for the rest of the winter, which is unlikely, having so many storms to track, deep cold air, and a KU-type event has already made this winter memorable. We just need an area-wide PDIII to make it historic.

Really glad the strong La Nina = La Nada didn't work out this season =)

Archived