northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Pattern/storm inverted trough thread early Jan

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, this is like jekyl and hyde (check for spelling) on the models here. I don't know if anyone could be confident with their forecasts for this late week into the week period. 00z CMC had a better solution then it had been showing, still mostly precip from the inverted trough, but the main storm was closer to really producing at least for most of eastern MA and RI.

A

You would think someone in LI could do well with Atlantic moisture source right there. Nice e-ne moist winds converging with colder/drier west winds.

Just depends where the narrow convergence zone sets up. I remember getting 13" of snow while places like Brookhaven lab not too far to my west only got like 3 or 4".

At 78 Hrs on the 12Z NAM looks like it wants to develop some kind of convergence over our area.

I just saw that...it will be interesting to see how this pans out. It's all mesoscale stuff for the most part...so there's gonna be lots of model problems for a few runs I assume. They may have the right idea...but perhaps not in the right place.

Just depends where the narrow convergence zone sets up. I remember getting 13" of snow while places like Brookhaven lab not too far to my west only got like 3 or 4".

Yeah they're pretty fascinating from a Met stantpoint, but what a pain to figure out. That would probably be nice for NYC and just east if the last 24 hrs of model solutions panned out, but this thing probably isn't done shifting around. I do kind of feel, that some sort of inv trough sets up for a time down there, but the question is what happens afterwards. Does it pivot or dissolve down that way, or does it get shoved off to the south or southeast as low pressure develops and brings snow further north. Some of the models bring downeast and eastern ME into the game. The euro ensembles have decent probs for precip over downeast ME...fwiw.

The key on this run, is the strength of the vortlobe coming down from the Lakes. It's pretty strong on this run, and keeps intact as it rotates into the waters, south of sne.

IMO the key to this run are the earlier systems acting to sharpen the trough so that when the trailing systems come down it isn't a flat POS.

Compare the 48h 12z to 60h 0z at 500 then run back 24 hours.

The ND s/w is stronger in the end and digs further south which kind of sets up the trailing systems.

At 42h the s/w over the Carolinas...I no longer believe it's a reach to think it will be stronger/deeper and in turn may lead to a much better solution again if the evolution here is correct. (get that system mid-game to dig a little more in advance of the big dog system and we ended up with a much more amplified system out under us vs the pancake now that fails to get the job done)

Out of the box thought. Does the inverted trough shifting S, maybe imply that we are seeing more digging of the ULL, hence the more robust surface development?

Weenie thoughts.

It's just highly unlikely NYC ends up the jackpot from a Norlun..I'm not sure if that's ever happened..they usually shift NE the final 24 hrs..which is why Maine always gets them in the end under normal circumstances

Yes, I believe it does...

The 12z NAM was more amplified...which caused the best dPVA to be located further south.

It's just highly unlikely NYC ends up the jackpot from a Norlun..I'm not sure if that's ever happened..they usually shift NE the final 24 hrs..which is why Maine always gets them in the end under normal circumstances

Well, I'd prefer we see a shift S then with the trough feature.:snowman:

Well the H5 depiction argues for the trough developing down there. I think that will happen. Question is, what happens afterwards. Does it rot overhead, or do we see low pressure developing and begin to pull the band east or se. I feel pretty confident they will see an inv trough somewhere near NYC.

I beleive that December 1946, NYC's second biggest snow of all time, was essentially a Norlun that nailed NYC to SW CT.

Archived