northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Pattern/storm inverted trough thread early Jan

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Scooter posted...the GFS won't be able to accurately predict qpf. HM says the same thing. Take a step back here

Yeah, but I mean for the QPF near NYC, or wherever the NORLUN sets up. It's not producing qpf across most of sne, because there is no reason to, for now anyways. Eastern areas could still see some snow coming up from the south.

The relatively flat wave exiting NE off the Del Marva around 48 hours going hyper-core as that meso-beta scale 500mb center S of NS should be questioned. That looks like big-time like convective feedback.

This run is discontinous over priors due to the compaction of the SPV as Scott has noted ... Remove that feed-back and that opens the door for a farther west surface result. It would not be the first time that we had to get inside of 48 hours to see the western solution modeled. The KU event recently is a good example, though is no way an analog - but suffices to say that the models do not do well when there is a fast flow running over the top of an intense baroclinic axis. The Gulf Stream up underneath all of this is not helping... The models, even the higher resolution ones will key in on any spurious entity in the flow and go nuts with it because the fuel and the fire are not controled in the physics as discretely as necessary to really assess what is the most important components in the flow.

The "too fast flow" argument is still in full effect as well, over all; the question is, does that limit only the MA out of the equation, or all...? We could still get a westward solution stem wound on down to 970mb for example, and still have it just too far off-shore.

The GFS delivers .1" over a 6 hour period exactly one time and that's in extreme SW CT.

You can add up the .03 to .06 per six hours x 4 periods and come up with an "advisory event" all you want.

Stock up on water and bread now just to be safe.

This event looks exactly as it has looked the last 36 hours here in CT... a light event with maybe a couple of inches. Spread out over a long duration it will be even lower impact.

Someone who gets under the NORLUN trough could pick up 3-6 or even 4-8. For must of us this will be a huge bust.

Right and some of us are thinking placement over NYC isn't correct

Well it could still shift, but I think for now...somewhere near NYC will at least start out with the inv trough. I don't think anybody should pin there hopes on it moving to the ne. What they should concentrate on, is how far west low pressure can develop, and if we can get more synoptic or ccb like snow coming up from the south.

I truly think some of the people here have lost their mind. People are seriously thinking 0.2" or 0.3" of QPF spread out over 48 hours is going to produce a widespread 3-6" of snow... not to mention the obvious and painful trend that this thing is moving in the WRONG direction.

John's very valid comments aside, it's like the twilight zone verbatim with the GFS. At face value it's terrible.

At the same time at 500 it's not letting the middle system escape now..note a huge shift back in the same area John talks about.

I'm actually a little more upbeat, just not understanding the logic that .03 over 6 hours is robust VERBATIM.

John's very valid comments aside, it's like the twilight zone verbatim with the GFS. At face value it's terrible.

At the same time at 500 it's not letting the middle system escape now..note a huge shift back in the same area John talks about.

I'm actually a little more upbeat, just not understanding the logic that .03 over 6 hours is robust VERBATIM.

It's not bad at all for your locale. The 00z euro and now 12z gfs have trended to better precip over se areas.

It's not bad at all for your locale. The 00z euro and now 12z gfs have trended to better precip over se areas.

As modeled I think it blows, but I'm not that worried about it because I like what I see aloft.

At 500 we have energy right now over western Neb. that dives down and around ahead of the energy coming into NC/VA by 36-42. Together they help to develop the 2nd low and then the entire complex is spun up into the diving big dog. Right now it's too far east, but the shift west was large this run and we may be heading closer to a solution from a few days ago with a more powerful low to the west but still ENE of Ptown.

I don't see this is feedback just normal bias. We'll see whether this shift was just a model aberration or something more meaningful. the NAM is more extreme and probably closer to accurate in this situation, IMO

12z GFS Day 7 system is out to sea...but fairly close.

Given the setup how do you think this one will trend? Looked like a Miller B on the GFS yesterday. I'm guessing that our PV will determine how much confluence there is over NE to keep it squashed. If we want a big system up the coast next week I suppose we want the PV to get the hell out the way.

Looking at the last three GFS runs today, I think there is a clear trend. There is strong vorticity located near Manitoba, Canada around 00z Friday on the models. The trend in the GFS is to speed this system up more. I think this is cleary showing the bias of the models in a La Nina ran Pacific Jet stream where the energy modeled is too slow compared to what we are actually noticing. So that was the trend with the last two big storms, one almost out to sea, but shifted westward, and the other that was favoring eastern areas just 48 hours out from the event, only to give New York City a 20" snowstorm. The correction west is quite noticeable, even on the GFS surface maps. However the GFS has also trended from splitting up the SPV as it moves to our south or right over the region, to actually staying intact as it moves south of the region. Also if the trend continues throughout the 12z suite and continues throughout this afternoon and tonight, I think it is clear that this system is coming west. Take a minute and picture that the trend of the faster pacific jet shortwave that rotates around the SPV as it tracks over the Great Lakes, coming in faster and faster in each run, guess what happens? It phases to the south of Nantucket, MA and pulls the SPV to the southeast more than currently modeled. GFS is leaning this way even though the low ends up east of the region with little to any fanfare with exceptions to SW CT/NYC with the inverted trough. So what I think happens is that with a faster northern stream disturbance the models will start to key in on this system's speed over the next 36 hours and end up producing a big storm at least from RI eastward and points northward. The trend could continue even more and allow most if not all of SNE to get snow from this storm. This is just my opinion, however something to perhaps look forward to, over the next 24 hours.

right...and it's tough to get a good handle on that system when you can't get a real good handle on how the PV evolves with the day 3 system.

LOL, exactly. Just put it on the back burner for like 5 days. If anything, this year has been a nice lesson to some hobbyists. It shows you why you shouldn't fall in love with d5+ solutions on the models.

Looking at the last three GFS runs today, I think there is a clear trend. There is strong vorticity located near Manitoba, Canada around 00z Friday on the models. The trend in the GFS is to speed this system up more. I think this is cleary showing the bias of the models in a La Nina ran Pacific Jet stream where the energy modeled is too slow compared to what we are actually noticing. So that was the trend with the last two big storms, one almost out to sea, but shifted westward, and the other that was favoring eastern areas just 48 hours out from the event, only to give New York City a 20" snowstorm. The correction west is quite noticeable, even on the GFS surface maps. However the GFS has also trended from splitting up the SPV as it moves to our south or right over the region, to actually staying intact as it moves south of the region. Also if the trend continues throughout the 12z suite and continues throughout this afternoon and tonight, I think it is clear that this system is coming west. Take a minute and picture that the trend of the faster pacific jet shortwave that rotates around the SPV as it tracks over the Great Lakes, coming in faster and faster in each run, guess what happens? It phases to the south of Nantucket, MA and pulls the SPV to the southeast more than currently modeled. GFS is leaning this way even though the low ends up east of the region with little to any fanfare with exceptions to SW CT/NYC with the inverted trough. So what I think happens is that with a faster northern stream disturbance the models will start to key in on this system's speed over the next 36 hours and end up producing a big storm at least from RI eastward and points northward. The trend could continue even more and allow most if not all of SNE to get snow from this storm. This is just my opinion, however something to perhaps look forward to, over the next 24 hours.

:lol:

Archived