• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-12 Model/Forecasting Discussion

Ji

Radar loop say it all. I forecasted 2" for BWI in the Ne.Wx Snowfall Forecast Contest. If they get 2", I'll be pleased, given the set-up.

http://www.newx-forecasts.com/

I sometimes wonder why more folks don't participate, since everyone wants to boldy announce their snowfall forecasts here over and over again. Ne.Wx contest results are deeply-seated in math and are very logical.

Will be interesting to see who gets to 1" first with this event -- BWI or Cape May.

isarun.gif

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just had a little blink in my power as well... conspiracy?

BTW, a little protip for ya: Don't over-analyze the models.

thanks for the advice... its not so much the models that I'm looking at but the mesoscale features they are putting out and deteriming the interaction of such features... I have always been a synoptic guy... looking at the overall pattern.... only recently have I truly begun to look mesoscale... may be too much of a good thing and cluttering my brain, but I think give it time and I will learn more from it. :) i try to use the models as a comparison to what is actually going on, or maybe the physics/resolution isn't good enough to make those fine predictions. your thoughts?

Tomorrow is going to be a long day...we're already getting surface obs and radar hallucinations..when people see the radar tom morning they are going to scream storm cancel...

This dude made this post last night at 10:49....whether the storm fizzles completely or not this was a dead on post.

for the most part correct, but the moisture convergence and lift is going to be north of the trough, once you get south of the trough it shuts off so we should be getting snow now. By the time that energy out west gets in here....that is mostly north of us. Also the western energy has definitely taken a turn NE instead of east. I thought we still had a shot when that was moving east earlier today but...you can clearly see its going north of this area.

i know its to the north of the trough where the fun and games occur...my point is the trough is still south of us.... except say southern MD at this hour so it still gives us a little bit of time

LWX dropped the WWA south and west of DC. Looking at satellite/radar its funny there is no coastal yet at all. I would be really worried in NYC right now. THis has massive bust for them

I don't really know what you are talking about. The 18Z analysis was already lower than all guidance with the coastal.

thanks for the advice... its not so much the models that I'm looking at but the mesoscale features they are putting out and deteriming the interaction of such features... I have always been a synoptic guy... looking at the overall pattern.... only recently have I truly begun to look mesoscale... may be too much of a good thing and cluttering my brain, but I think give it time and I will learn more from it. :) i try to use the models as a comparison to what is actually going on, or maybe the physics/resolution isn't good enough to make those fine predictions. your thoughts?

That's one of my thoughts right there. My suggestion would be to first figure out the limitations of the different models before doing in-depth analysis of the output.

... Winter Storm Warning in effect until 6 am EST Thursday...

The National Weather Service in Pittsburgh has issued a Winter

Storm Warning for heavy snow... which is in effect until 6 am EST

Thursday. The Winter Weather Advisory is no longer in effect but

instead has been upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning.

* Accumulation: a quick 2 to 3 inches of snow is expected through

11 PM today. A total of 3 to 5 inches will accumulate through

Wednesday... with additional 3 to 5 inches accumulation expected

Wednesday night. Total storm accumulation will be 6 to 10 inches

in Tucker Preston and Garrett counties... with locally up to 12 inches

or more for northwest facing slopes at highest elevations.

* Timing: steady snow will continue through 11 PM... then

transition to occasional snow showers overnight. Lake effect snow

showers will pick up in intensity Wednesday and continue

Wednesday night.

* Impacts: conditions will deteriorate rapidly this afternoon as

the steady accumulating snow continues... making for a difficult

evening commute. Expect snow covered roads. Areas of blowing and

drifting snow are possible Wednesday and Wednesday night.

* Visibilities: below a mile at times.

Looks like the radar is beginning to fill in to the west of DC as the precip approaches... hope this continues as it moves east! Down to 30 degrees here but all the talk of sleet and drizzle up to and north of Bel Air and Monkton is not re-assuring...

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?num=6&delay=15&scale=1.00&noclutter=0&ID=LWX&type=N0R&lat=39.00733185&lon=-76.68267822&label=Crofton%2C+MD&showstorms=0&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0

Looks like a total bust. Maybe a dusting later as the western energy swings through. PHL and NYC better worry. Don't worry about SNE; the storm will do whatever it needs to do in order to slam them, including stopping entirely, drifting backwards, and looping around off the coast of Maine a few times.

PHL is already toast I thought. NYC is next in line for the steamrolling POS that's coming up the coast. Models get the BIG FAIL again. Not just for this area but really all around. Just horrible performance this year.

Wednesday night.

Yep, primary is stronger than they expected...

Wednesday night.

You drove out there?

In some ways this is worse than 12/26.. At Least it pretended to try for a while.

It's like hooking up with a fat chick. Sure it's fun for a few days...but pretty soon it gets old and you are looking for the next sexy thing down the road.

not to mention the shame you have after your friends found out what you did with your time and effort

I don't really know what you are talking about. The 18Z analysis was already lower than all guidance with the coastal.

correct but so is the Ohio Valley low, and its messing up the ability for the coastal to develop a good low level circulation and advect moisture inland. Until the energy transfers to the coast and phases the coastal is a dead wave. That should be happening now and I do not see signs of it yet. I am not saying NYC is not getting snow...just not sure about these 12" numbers they are throwing around. Might still happen in time but I am skeptical.

Nashville might be too far to be looking but the stuff in WV should make it in some fashion. It's being driven by the 500 low.

Yea, I was just weenie extrapolating the energy around the wheel. Nice to see the southern extent down that far considering the low is moving NE. Honestly, I never had high expectations once the miller b solution was locked but I still think accumulating snow is likely for our parts.

Archived