joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-12 Model/Forecasting Discussion

Ji

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

based on the bend of the isobars, is this where the coastal trough is or am I reading it wrong?

post-3403-0-76807800-1294774545.png

for the most part correct, but the moisture convergence and lift is going to be north of the trough, once you get south of the trough it shuts off so we should be getting snow now. By the time that energy out west gets in here....that is mostly north of us. Also the western energy has definitely taken a turn NE instead of east. I thought we still had a shot when that was moving east earlier today but...you can clearly see its going north of this area.

Not sure how well the HRRR verifies with Winter Weather, but its one that hasn't been brought up yet... and its looking very grim right now. This is snowfall (in inches) thru 8Z tomorrow:

It's initialized, in part, off radar observations. So, basically a little bit of nowcasting thrown in the mix. It's that nowcasting thing that's getting me a bit concerned. Just take a look at the HRRR's trend today:

13Z Run:

totp_t3sfc_f15.png

15Z Run:

totp_t3sfc_f15.png

17Z Run:

totp_t3sfc_f15.png

We need to start to see precip blossoming on radar across central VA fairly soon.

\

But nothing was supposed to happen now anyway. I don't get it.

its not the fact that its not snowing that is bothering me at all. Its signs that when the CCB band does develop it will be north and east of where the models had it. Not by a lot, but we did not have much room at all, we were barely in the back edge to begin with. BTW does this sound familiar at all???

the OV slp is at 1014 and the coastal, if you want to call it that, is stuck at 1016mb. The only chance of precip we get is when the western energy comes through, a clipper at best. If it looks and smells like a pig, its a pig especially when there have been pigs in the neighborhood all winter.

it, along with all the models, missed Fri night too

seasonal trend/pattern

no storm can buck it w/o a major thaw

IF we skate through tonight with say, less than 1" the NWS is going to look foolish again to the public. I kind of feel for them. The models they rely on so heavily have been complete and utter doo doo since the start of winter.

Archived